Nothing happens when key is on 2006 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nothing happens when key is on 2006

New owner of a 2006 1000 here. I've spent a lot of time the past couple of days, perusing this forum and I'm getting information overload. I'm sure there is a thread in here that addresses my issue, and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

I bought the bike about 2 weeks ago. Put a couple of hundred miles on it around home, then did about a 2000 mile trip. After a day on the trip, the bike was slow to spin the starter after a quick break. Thought nothing of it until another stop 10 minutes later. Upon trying to start the bike again, the starter barely turned and then nothing. Used a little jump starter back and headed to town. Had the battery tested and was told it was working as it should. After that, the bike worked well for the next 1500 miles, until yesterday. The only thing I've done electrically, was to install a cigarette lighter plug, that went straight to battery. I did disconnect this when I had my problem, even though nothing had been plugged in.

I got back home and hooked up the lighter plug again, not seeing how this could be an issue, however wanted to try to figure out why things happened the first time. Made a stop and the started wouldn't spin. I also noticed that the clock had reset to what must be the default time of 1:00. When I used the battery jumper pack, it fired right up. When I disconnected the jumper, it died. Used the jumper one more time and when the engine fired, it was running very rough. The FI warning came on the display and my low oil pressure light came on. Needless to stay, I shut it off and was towed home. When I checked battery voltage, it was about 10.5 volts.

I charged the battery and now when I turn the key on, nothing happens. No fuel pump, lights, nothing. Though the clock had not reset to 1:00. I checked fuses, including the 30 amp main. All are good.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Kill switch is definitely on, right?
post #3 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Reading your first three paragraphs, I'd say you need to get out your multi-meter and check the stator -- ACV output while running and resistance check with engine off. The first part of your saga sounds like either a fried stator or moved magnets. If your battery was at 10.5 DCV after a ride, the charging system isn't doing its part. A diode check on the regulator/rectifier is also kinda simple to do.

To address the last paragraph of issues, start with the simple things first. It could be an over looked kill switch. Make certain it is in the correct position. Or maybe your battery terminals are not secured sufficiently? With the battery now charged, what is the meter reading for voltage across the battery posts?

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Kill switch is in the run position
post #5 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Voltage at battery terminals is 12.6V.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

So your battery is fully charged, the fuses are all good, the clock shows time, yet when you turn the ignition key you get no lights, no fuel pump and no sweep of the gauge needles? ( You get clock time but absolutely nothing else? ) The shop manual wiring diagram would lead me back to the 30 amp fuse. Do you have a spare to install, simply do as a check? You mentioned that this cig plug went direct to the battery and that you have connected and disconnected it multiple times recently. Are the battery terminals on tight? And with the bike upright, you on the seat, kickstand up, clutch pulled, tranny in neutral, key "on", kill switch on "run", what happens when you hit the starter button?
post #7 of 26 Old 08-05-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Terminals tight. Bike upright, kickstand up, tranny in neutral (even though the indicator light won't come on, kill switch on run, hit starter and nothing.

Just to see what happened, I took the battery out and pulled a battery out of the Moto Guzzi that hasn't ran in a while. It had shows 12.4 volts. It wouldn't quite fit in the battery tray, but I was able to hook it up in a temporary fashion. Turn the key on and everything lights up, fuel pump makes noise, guages come on.

Not sure the age of the current Vstrom battery, but I'm tempted to run out and buy a new battery.
notacop and Gert like this.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-06-2019, 03:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is one of the reasons why it is advised to load test a battery, to check for internal problems. Just because a battery has a good voltage, doesn't always translate to the battery having enough amps in reserve, to start a vehicle. A good second battery source will help rule out a bad 1st battery, by a jump start test.

Last edited by Gert; 08-06-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quota, if the MotoG battery lights you up and your current battery doesn't, I think you might have found part of your problem. As Gert said, it is good to load test a questionable battery. But, in your first post you said the battery was tested and found to be good. Who did that load test? Someplace like Advance Auto can load test your battery and help you known if you need a new one.

But now that the last paragraph in your first post may be resolved with a battery, I think you still need to take a look at some of the things you described in your first three paragraphs of that post. First and easiest would be to check the voltage of the new battery with engine off. Then start the bike with the battery installed and check the voltage at idle, 3000 rpm and 5000 rpm. If you are up in the 14.0-14.5 volt range at 3-5k rpm, it would seem that your charging system is good. If it is lower, I'd look into checking it. If you ride for a period of time/miles and the bike won't restart or your battery reads 10.5 volts, I would advise checking the other components of the charging system, including: stator output, regulator/rectifier, and magnet position. The ACV tests for the stator can help determine if the stator or magnet positioning are suspect. The static test on the stator can hone in on that further. And don't forget the static test on the R/R.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Gert and Yarz. Voltage on the battery with bike not running was 12.6V. As I ran the bike at 5K rpm, the voltage gradually climbed, until after about a minute, it was at 14.3V. I'm still going to check everything that Yarz suggests.

I had the battery tested at a CarQuest auto parts store. I'm assuming it was a load test, because the person doing was talking in amps and not volts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode