V-Strom 1000 vs Tiger 955i Questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By teevee
  • 1 Post By Mulewright
  • 1 Post By PeteW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
V-Strom 1000 vs Tiger 955i Questions

Hi folks,

As I mentioned in my introduction, I am shopping for a bike to keep the Trophy company. I want a lower weight, lower C of G with ample legroom and big torque. The shortlisted bikes are the V-Strom 1000 and Tiger 955i. I never buy anything new, so am looking at 2004-2009 V-Stroms and 2006-2006 Tigers.

The Tiger's dry weight is only about 25-30 pounds less than the Trophy while the V-Strom is about another 25 pounds lighter again. Now, the thing is the Trophy comes with bags as standard, so I don't know if the stated weight of about 500 pounds is WITH those bags. Also, the Tiger comes with bags, but I'm pretty sure they are not part of the Tiger's advertised weight because earlier years than the 2005 didn't necessarily come with bags. Conclusion: The Trophy and the Tiger are probably the same weight.

Now, the V-Strom (at least the ones I have shortlisted) didn't have standard bags. Adding bags would increase the weight by about 15 lbs for 2 bags? That makes it still lighter than the Trophy, not sure about the Tiger.

As far as the C of G goes, I am sure it is noticeably lower in the V-Strom. There is no question about the Tiger's being high because it's taller than the Trophy and I KNOW the Trophy is noticeably top heavy.

My plan to "fix" the C of G is to move the Delkevic can(s) from the Trophy to either the Tiger or V-Strom. That'll lower the weight of the Tiger by 10-15 lbs because it only has one. The V-Strom has two, but I don't know how much the stock cans weigh. Are they 25 lbs each? If so, taking 30 lbs off the top of the V-Strom by putting on the Delkevic's gives it a STRONG advantage over the Tiger.

So, tell me, am I on the right track here? Are my weight numbers sensible? I figure I could be a month away from buying since I'm not in the right country at the moment, but I really want to have my research finished before I get back.

Thanks,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
i own an 07 V an have ridden the 05 tiger. the tiger felt more balanced and i felt like i was lower than i feel on the V. the tiger handled sweetly, but is quite revvy compared to the V, enough to annoy me after about 30 minutes at highway speeds. but that's just me.

as for weight, i don't think the stock cans on the V weigh 25 each, though together they are probably quite close.

the V is a tall bike. lowering the CoG is not easy or easily accomplished. i have akrapovics on mine and aside from the sound, the bike feels the same as with the stock cans.
slovcan likes this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had a '96 tiger, a '08 1k, a'08 650, and now a '15 650.
the suspension on the Tiger is light years ahead of any VStrom.
IF I HAD A LOCAL DEALER, I WOULD without a doubt, get another.
The local Suzuki dealer has relinquished the franchise due to the lack of warrantee support.
This is largely due to my personal experiences.
I love the bike but, Suzuki sucks the large weenie as far as product support around here...
I will never buy another due to my personal bad experiences.
slovcan likes this.

[B][I]~ Stretching the Limits of Performance & Good Taste ~[/I][/B]

post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
i own an 07 V an have ridden the 05 tiger. the tiger felt more balanced and i felt like i was lower than i feel on the V. the tiger handled sweetly, but is quite revvy compared to the V, enough to annoy me after about 30 minutes at highway speeds. but that's just me.

as for weight, i don't think the stock cans on the V weigh 25 each, though together they are probably quite close.

the V is a tall bike. lowering the CoG is not easy or easily accomplished. i have akrapovics on mine and aside from the sound, the bike feels the same as with the stock cans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulewright View Post
I had a '96 tiger, a '08 1k, a'08 650, and now a '15 650.
the suspension on the Tiger is light years ahead of any VStrom.
IF I HAD A LOCAL DEALER, I WOULD without a doubt, get another.
The local Suzuki dealer has relinquished the franchise due to the lack of warrantee support.
This is largely due to my personal experiences.
I love the bike but, Suzuki sucks the large weenie as far as product support around here...
I will never buy another due to my personal bad experiences.
WOW! Teevee and Mulewright, two owners with actual experience on both bikes. AWESOME, but now I am further away from a decision . I was leaning strongly toward the V-Strom. Then last night I was reading about the clutch basket issues that I thought had been resolved starting with the 2004 models and, bloody hell, they are not resolved. That means I must add $400 USD to the price of any Vee I buy.

I was sure the Vee was lower weight and lower C of G than the Tiger and now experience says that's not really so and the Tiger has a better suspension. BUT, the Tiger guys say the suspension is too soft. At least that's an easy fix.

With a used bike I wouldn't care about a lack of dealer support since I do most of my own work and there is always a privateer around for anything I don't want to do. I'm sure that all privateers would have more experience with Suzukis in general than Triumphs, especially Tigers (and there are more Vee's than Tigers around).

Dammit, now what do I do?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Better off road than a DL1000 IF you are tall and strong.

They had a couple of systemic problems, first was the cooling system was really prone to getting airlocks and cooking the motor if it wasn't purged properly. (I know a dealer screwed that up)

Second was the fuel connector under the tank was prone to falling apart and pissing fuel over bike and rider.

Better than a DL but more fragile is how I'd put it. I nearly brought one but I preferred the lighter weight of the DL650.
slovcan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode