No dealer mode, temp gauge always @ full bars - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Grunged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

No dealer mode, temp gauge always @ full bars

Purchased a second 2005 DL1000. It was super cheap because a: it has 49k Alaska dirt road miles and b: it has classic TPS/TBS related symptoms.

Having dealt with TPS/TBS issues in the past I wasn't worried about how poor it was running. (Ran well enough to make the 3 hour freeway ride home.)

Well just before I purchased it I tried to put it into dealer mode but it wouldn't do it. Not wanting to tear into it in this guys driveway I just assumed I wasn't getting a good connection at the plug and would deal with it when I got it home.

After I got it home I connected the white/red stripe to negative and still no dealer mode. I then checked for continuity between where the wire enters the ecu harness and the dealer plug and its fine. Having a second DL1000 I was able to borrow the ecu from the first bike and check to see if that was what was causing the issue, same symptoms both no dealer mode and full temp gauge bars (after starting the bike). Talked to the guy I bought it from and he said the temp gauge has shown full bars/hot ever since he bought it 4 years ago. He had no knowledge of dealer mode or how to get into it. He was a straight forward guy and I trust he was telling me the truth.

I'm about to remove all the plastic so I can check wiring and harnesses between the ecu and the dash display.
I will check the temp sensor as well but I believe the sensor is working as the fan did come on a few times when I rode it home in stop and go traffic. It's not always on though so this makes me think the sensor is fine. Aside from a 12v port and a charging plug there isn't a bunch of aftermarket wiring to worry about.

The bike does have a power commander so I figure I'll disconnect that as well while I'm at it. Not sure if it could cause these symptoms but at this point I don't want to overlook anything.

I couldn't find any related post for either issue that wasn't remedied by something I've already checked.

I'm going to go out in the garage and get started taking all the plastic off now but if anyone has any ideas or have experienced something similar please chime in. I'll report back if I figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It sounds like a wiring harness shorting to earth somewhere. If you don't have a circuit diagram, maybe the circuit diagram posted by WildDoktor, https://www.stromtrooper.com/5420567-post15.html, would be of help?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Found it!

Right before the plug that connects to the back of the dash/speedometer there were 3 wires that had a spot on the insulation worn through. Looks like they had been rubbing on the headlight stay bracket.

Thank you for your response Gert, that's exactly what it was.

I love the feeling of figuring these things out. Its can be such a struggle and then finally you get that "ah hah" moment you've been working towards.

These forums have been such an asset to me and many others over the years. Thank you all that contribute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0730191158.jpg (365.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0730191159.jpg (384.3 KB, 3 views)
bwringer, notacop and Gert like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Those wire harnesses can really hide problems. I had a Honda that used to blow the main fuse at odd times. Mostly on my way home from work at midnight.
Finally cut open the harness leading to the headlight bucket and the main power wire had broken at a bend in the harness and there were only a few strands keeping it working.
A simple splice of the wire and install a coupling crimped in place, all mo bettah. Magic.

Last edited by notacop; 07-30-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Yep, I've tracked down a few of these random "buried in the harness" electrical dammits.

Nice work!

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode