Paddock Stand Spools - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Paddock Stand Spools

I just purchased a used rear paddock stand for my 2006 DL1000. Does anyone know the spool thread size on the rear swing arm?

I am also interested in any comments about your experience using a rear paddock stand on a DL1000. From my first attempt it seems a much heavier lift then any videos I have watched on YouTube that were primarily of smaller sport bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's an 8mm thread. I got this
Factory Effex (15-36908) Silver 8mm Swingarm Spool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068ETNJQ..._cBMnDbKRJHPSF

And a harbor freight cheap stand.

It definitely made my life easier and I think if I can do then any one can lift the bike on these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
How do you use a stand on the front of a DL1000?

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike

post #4 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 04:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It would depend on the type of stand that you intend using for the front end. One type of front end stand fits under the steering neck, while another type fits on the underside on each side of the front forks. There are other methods of lifting the front end that could also be investigated. Have you read https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-...new-strom.html or https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...l-removal.html. There are more similar threads if you care to use the search function. Let us know the route you find best for you.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have a very nice front end stand and IIRC have never used it for working on the bike. It's fairly pointless because it constantly gets in the way of whatever you're doing.

In any case, I use the rear stand with spools all the time.

DO NOT use the aluminum rear stand from Harbor Freight with a V-Strom. It's simply nowhere near strong enough; very unstable. I have one of these, but I only use it with my KLR650. The steel stand from HF does not come with spool adapters, so it's pretty useless for this.

Spool stands pop up all the time on CrackList, but there are several manufacturers making good ones. Pit Bull stands are OK, but incredibly overpriced.

Stands that come apart are cheaper, but it's really worth the extra few bucks for the added strength and stability of a one-piece stand. The V-Strom is pretty heavy compared to the sportbikes these things are usually designed for. Still, it's not hard at all to pop the bike up onto the stand. I really don't miss a centerstand, and I'm happy to not carry around the weight of a centerstand or put up with the reduced cornering clearance.

This is the one I have; it's one-piece and very stable and strong, plus you can flip the adapters around for other bikes without spools if you need to.
https://steelhorsefab.com/product/mu...-stand-urrs05/

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 07-23-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I have a very nice front end stand and IIRC have never used it for working on the bike. It's fairly pointless because it constantly gets in the way of whatever you're doing.

In any case, I use the rear stand with spools all the time.

DO NOT use the aluminum rear stand from Harbor Freight with a V-Strom. It's simply nowhere near strong enough; very unstable. I have one of these, but I only use it with my KLR650. The steel stand from HF does not come with spool adapters, so it's pretty useless for this.

Spool stands pop up all the time on CrackList, but there are several manufacturers making good ones. Pit Bull stands are OK, but incredibly overpriced.

Stands that come apart are cheaper, but it's really worth the extra few bucks for the added strength and stability of a one-piece stand. The V-Strom is pretty heavy compared to the sportbikes these things are usually designed for. Still, it's not hard at all to pop the bike up onto the stand. I really don't miss a centerstand, and I'm happy to not carry around the weight of a centerstand or put up with the reduced cornering clearance.

This is the one I have; it's one-piece and very stable and strong, plus you can flip the adapters around for other bikes without spools if you need to.
https://steelhorsefab.com/product/mu...-stand-urrs05/
The harbor freight stand is definitely flimsy compared to any other 'top' dollar stand. But it has worked for me till now.

I have had the bike on the stand for days.
I would definitely recommend it for someone who wants to try paddock stands out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

For my '14 DL1K I use my Pitbull ZRX rear stand with 3-1/2" Pitbull CBR spacers and 13mm longer zink-coated bolts per side and Pitbull 8mm Delrin spools.
The front is a Pitbull front fork stand with steering stem converter and their extra long steering stem adapter pin.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Pit Bull swingarm stands are the way to go!!! I've picked up 2 off CraigsList over the years. The 1st I got for $40 and the 2nd for $20. The 2nd one needed some cosmetic work but was as strong and functionable as new. As noted before; the new PitBull stands are pretty pricey!!!

Check CraigsList

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjaxfl View Post
I just purchased a used rear paddock stand for my 2006 DL1000. Does anyone know the spool thread size on the rear swing arm?

I am also interested in any comments about your experience using a rear paddock stand on a DL1000. From my first attempt it seems a much heavier lift then any videos I have watched on YouTube that were primarily of smaller sport bikes.
What brand of stand did you purchase??? Each brand differs in how well they work.

Here's an example: I initially purchased an off brand stand for my ZRX. Even with my considerable bulk (275 lbs), I could not lift my bike!!! I had to put the rear wheel up onto a 2x6 board before I could lift it. However, the PitBull stand picked the ZRX up with ease.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields

Last edited by Big Boy; 07-23-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Example Added
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
I purchased a Pit Bull on CL, so got lucky there. Seller was using it to lift his lawn mower. I have order the spools that gopi.sandy suggested. I have decided to wait until they arrive before attempting my first lift. The rounded red rubber side seemed to want to slip off the swing arm. Figured it would be safer with the spools installed.

Thanks for your input.
William
Gert and gopi.sandy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode