Audible turn signals - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
NVDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern Calif
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
LED light usually use power between 0.5-2watt, sometimes after you install, the turn signals may blink too fast or not even blink, at this point, you will need 50watt 6ohm load resistor to bring the hyper flash down to normal, because the light bulb on our bike is regular 50 watt halogen bulb, so we need to make the power output balance on all of the turn signals, however we do not carry any load resistors, please purchase if necessary.
Rick & Rolex make a good point about checking the polarity. But if that doesn't get you right, I found the fastest path to mixed blinker technology is a $7 adjustable flasher.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a little dial to find a way to make them all happy.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
NVDucati is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 Old 08-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4
Garage
Problems installing these mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
I'm with Rick if you still have your old indicators in place there is no need for a resistor.

Unlike other globes LED's must be wired positive to positive and negative to negative.


Try powering them directly from your battery to ensure they work and you have the colours around the right way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the resistor has anything to do with the mirrors not working. The resistor is needed with seome flasher modules that expect to see a minimum resistance in the circuit. Here is the quote from the listing.

LED light usually use power between 0.5-2watt, sometimes after you install, the turn signals may blink too fast or not even blink, at this point, you will need 50watt 6ohm load resistor to bring the hyper flash down to normal, because the light bulb on our bike is regular 50 watt halogen bulb, so we need to make the power output balance on all of the turn signals, however we do not carry any load resistors, please purchase if necessary.

Again, I could be wrong, but if the stock flashers are working normally I suspect the mirrors are not wired correctly.

A very common mistake is wiring LEDs backwards. It does not hurt them, but they will not illuminate. That is the diode part of the light emitting diode (LED) at work. Try reversing the polarity.
To be honest, I thought that might be the case (reverse wiring) but at one point I had the bare wires and swapped them... not actually tying them, but just touching the leads and they still didn't come on. Maybe I didn't have a good contact though. One other thought... I wired them to the leads from the old front signal as I wanted to leave the old in place and simple have the mirrors as an additional signal. Do you see anything wrong with that logic that could cause the mirrors to not flash? I simply soldered the mirror wires to a bare spot in the pos and neg of the turn signal leads so that both signals would be powered. Hope my description makes sense. Attempt to draw the wiring below... <sigh>


__________
| MIRROR |
|________|====================\\
|\
| \
_________ | |
/ \ |__|_
[ FRONT SIG.]===================__|_=======[clip]
\_________/

---------------+---------------
___ /^^[____ ==/\==
/|^+--+--+ |#__________/ /
( -+ |__|__| _U.S.__--------+/
==__________--' ˘
~_|___|__
PeeDub68 is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 08-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the resistor has anything to do with the mirrors not working. The resistor is needed with seome flasher modules that expect to see a minimum resistance in the circuit. Here is the quote from the listing.

LED light usually use power between 0.5-2watt, sometimes after you install, the turn signals may blink too fast or not even blink, at this point, you will need 50watt 6ohm load resistor to bring the hyper flash down to normal, because the light bulb on our bike is regular 50 watt halogen bulb, so we need to make the power output balance on all of the turn signals, however we do not carry any load resistors, please purchase if necessary.

Again, I could be wrong, but if the stock flashers are working normally I suspect the mirrors are not wired correctly.

A very common mistake is wiring LEDs backwards. It does not hurt them, but they will not illuminate. That is the diode part of the light emitting diode (LED) at work. Try reversing the polarity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
I'm with Rick if you still have your old indicators in place there is no need for a resistor.

Unlike other globes LED's must be wired positive to positive and negative to negative.


Try powering them directly from your battery to ensure they work and you have the colours around the right way.
Thanks for both of you for your suggestions... I did do a swap of the wires while I was trying to figure things out by just touching the leads - not actually twisting them together - and it didn't come on. Maybe there wasn't a good contact. I'll try that again but after I do the test directly from the battery. Thanks again.

---------------+---------------
___ /^^[____ ==/\==
/|^+--+--+ |#__________/ /
( -+ |__|__| _U.S.__--------+/
==__________--' ˘
~_|___|__
PeeDub68 is offline  
 
post #24 of 32 Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Rolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney's East
Posts: 3,002
If you still have the old indicators in place the minimum you should get is all of them come on and stay on.

Just adding the new to the old should make no difference and everything should flash.

You only need a resistor if reduce the load not if you increase the load.
richlandrick likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Rolex is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
richlandrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clover, S.C.
Posts: 4,479
Agree with above.

Just run them directly to the battery. They should light up. If they don't switch polarity and try again. if they still do not contact the seller.
richlandrick is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 08-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4
Garage
Problems installing these mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Agree with above.

Just run them directly to the battery. They should light up. If they don't switch polarity and try again. if they still do not contact the seller.
So I tested them directly with the battery and they worked. I then tested direct with the battery but powering old and new signals and it worked. I hooked them back up to the switch and tried again and this time noticed that the mirror side LEDs would partially light up - 3 of 6 or so but not the front facing light. That showed that I did indeed connect them correctly but something else was wrong. After waiting a couple of hours I decided to start the bike up and try it with the engine running and that fixed the issue. So, even with my new-this-summer battery, it didn't push enough volts (?) to power the 2 OEM signals and the new mirror signal. I am a little surprised by that but I'm certainly no expert in this area. Again, thanks for the help.
PeeDub68 is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
NVDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern Calif
Posts: 941
Repeat from above:
I found the fastest path to mixed blinker technology is a $7 adjustable flasher.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a little dial to find a way to make them all happy.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
NVDucati is online now  
post #28 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 332
I was stumbling around ebay and came across a flasher unit that beeps as it causes the lights to flash. there would be no hunting, cutting, and splicing. just find the original flasher and replace it with the beeping flasher. wrap tape around the beeping flasher as necessary to get the sound level you want.
richlandrick likes this.
RLBranson is online now  
post #29 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
richlandrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clover, S.C.
Posts: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
I was stumbling around ebay and came across a flasher unit that beeps as it causes the lights to flash. there would be no hunting, cutting, and splicing. just find the original flasher and replace it with the beeping flasher. wrap tape around the beeping flasher as necessary to get the sound level you want.

Was it this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Motor...4AAOSwwl1apXGk
richlandrick is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 332
152551592300


2 Pin AUDIBLE Beeping Electronic LED Flasher Hazard Relay Car / Motorcycle

I am not a computer expert. don't know how to post links. the one that sounded good to me was $17.63
RLBranson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome