Center Stand Springs - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Center Stand Springs

Has anyone changed or demounted/mounted their center stand springs? How did you do it? I struggled and fought to engage the larger spring, but I am simply not strong enough. I tried using a brake spring tool, and that did not work either.

After half an hour of battle, I took a lesson from my brake spring tool (automotive) and made the tool pictured below. It is simply a piece of drill rod that I had on hand, heated one end and hammered it flat, then ground the rough marks off it and used a right angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to make the notch. I hooked the slot over the spring and used the crossbar on the OEM center stand as a fulcrum. Once it was close, channel lock pliers pushed the open end of the spring's hook over the centerstand anchor point and I was home free. The small spring is much easier.

I lowered my bike and had to shorten the center stand - I could not get the bike up on it alone, and two people worked hard to get it there. The whole idea for me is to have the stand in case of a flat - and then the rear of the bike would be a few inches lower yet, so shortening it was in the cards. The tool is about 8" long overall, I cut the length so that it would fit with maybe 1/2"clearance to the ground.

But, absent such a tool, is there a secret other than brute strength?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9992.jpg (339.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5426.jpg (397.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Ratchet; 07-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Try this trick. https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips...ension_spring/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penny spring.jpg (52.7 KB, 8 views)
Gert likes this.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
I thought of that, and have used the technique on other springs. The center stand (and side stand) both use two springs, one inside the other. The big one only has a few coils so I would need to cut large, fat washers in half and then it might work. The problem is always that the inner spring gets in the way.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You need to use leverage rather than outright strength. I make a small loop of fencing wire and attach it to the bottom hook, through which I use a heavy bladed screwdriver (almost a small crowbar) and find a place on the main stand to use as a fulcrum. As you get past 90 degrees with your lever the springs hook closes up and in towards the hook.
It is still a struggle, and I always have to adjust the size of the loop a few times. Note that the shortest distance between the two pegs is when the stand is in its up position and so I block up the stand.
Byronw likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Although I have used #3 and #4 Philips screwdrivers to install center stand springs, THIS is my weapon of choice for installation and removal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sna...8AAOSwpttcmsvX
Youre done before you even knew it. Scroll down to view.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have you read the discussion wrt the spring installation on https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...er-stand.html?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used the "cord tied to the rear wheel" trick: took about 10 seconds to tie the cord to the wheel and one second to pop the spring onto the post.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

I use a trampoline spring tool.

https://bit.ly/2y6htyc

2008 DL1000
42,800 miles
Saddleman seat, upgraded stator, Shinko 705's, Chain Alignment Spacer, SpeedoDRD Healer, ATV High handlebar, Zumo 395LM GPS,
LED Headlight bulbs Kit 50W 6500k Fanless, Tusk Folding Shift Lever Black/Silver, Wide Black Aluminium Foot Pegs, Foot peg lowering kit,
Givi engine guards, clutch lever push rod mod, accessory fuse panel under seat, up and back risers.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
eff
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use my homemade spring puller tool. Worked great on the center stand springs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
RLBranson likes this.

2007 V-Strom 650
2004 GasGas EC250
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

This was timely. I struggled for over an hour on those springs and then I realized that someone would have already solved this problem. Lo and behold, I found this recent thread and the subsequent links. Used the string theory. Took a couple of attempts on the large spring, but it worked. You have to be careful to place the small spring on the inside of the peg and get that connected. Then do the large spring. If you donít get the small spring on the inside of the peg, the large spring gets twisted up by trying to put it on the inside.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode