Clutch Basket question - newby - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By BackPacker
  • 1 Post By realshelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
ERS
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Clutch Basket question - newby

Just bought a 2006 DL1000 with 54,000km, good shape overall but it has the Clutch Chudder issue. I have been reading this and other forums and the fix seems to be either the Werks or Sharealike rebuild or a new Suzuki basket with limited life. Am I missing something or does this sum it up?

Is there a do it yourself fix which lasts long term? or other options. I don't want to put another $5-600 into this bike until I decide how much I like it, but would like to see how smooth it becomes without the dreaded Chudder!

Also, I lost a bar end weight due to it vibrating out, Is there a good cheap replacement for this? I lost the screw and handguard spacer too but they should be easy to fabricate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm also a newby having recently acquired a 2004. I did my research and factored the hassle and expense of a new clutch basket into my purchase decision for when/if the bike I bought shows symptoms.

Buying a bike this old you have to expect there will be issues and compared to the BMW I initially had my heart set on, the problems with a V-strom are fairly low cost.

As to liking the bike, I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I continue to look at used bikes in my area and there is really nothing out there close to what I spent that I think would better suit my needs. There are some interesting newer wanted to triple my budget. That may happen in a year or so, but for the now, I'm really happy with my DL1000.

BTW, PEI is on my bucket list to ride. My wife and I did a lap of Nova Scotia on our Harley's several years back and would love to see PEI and Newfoundland.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
See Terry (RealShelby) for advice. https://www.stromtrooper.com/werks-parts/
And buy your bar end weights here: https://www.ebay.com/p/Black%2DAnti%...57177839&rt=nc

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you only lost one bar end weight, you could also consider upgrading to a Kaoka throttle lock. It requires a little practice, but then you can take your right hand off the bike every now and then while on a long ride, or even use it as a cruise control.

https://euro.kaoko.com/
bigjohnsd likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS View Post
Just bought a 2006 DL1000 with 54,000km, good shape overall but it has the Clutch Chudder issue. I have been reading this and other forums and the fix seems to be either the Werks or Sharealike rebuild or a new Suzuki basket with limited life. Am I missing something or does this sum it up?

Is there a do it yourself fix which lasts long term? or other options. I don't want to put another $5-600 into this bike until I decide how much I like it, but would like to see how smooth it becomes without the dreaded Chudder!
You can buy a new OEM basket that will help for 10-15,000 miles. Or get a modified basket. The WERKS modifications are much more involved and include a second bearing added that the factory does not have. The Sharealike mod is more basic, but will fix chudder.

Costs? $310 for the modification of your basket, including return shipping in the US. $17.50 for the OEM clutch cover gasket. New oil and filter, maybe new coolant. Including shipping your basket in, oil and coolant, cost to do this even if you buy the clutch hub holding tool should be under $425. Which is usually cheaper than buying a new basket. A WERKS modified clutch basket is smoother than a new OEM part, and stays that way. No degradation over time like the OEM part.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
ERS
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks all for the replies.
I was hoping for a cheaper fix even if temporary to allow me to determine if this bike is a keeper. I bought it to do some unpaved roads and possibly the trans Labrador highway before it is completely paved. The Chudder does make the bike uncomfortable and even at 60 mph 6th gear is useless. My other bike is an FJR and it is great for long trips, smooth as silk. not so good on gravel! Looks like the permanent fix is the RealShelby basket but that might be a winter project.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Sounds like your clutch basket is worn very badly. Meaning you won't ever know what the bike is supposed to feel like without fixing it. You can run 2500 rpm in 6th gear when the clutch basket is right. You cannot really know how much difference there is until you install the modified clutch basket. You won't regret the money spent afterwards.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS View Post

Also, I lost a bar end weight due to it vibrating out, Is there a good cheap replacement for this? I lost the screw and handguard spacer too but they should be easy to fabricate.
ERS, since you have determined that your bike has the dread chudder, let me say that you have NO IDEA what you are missing in terms of how fantastic the bike with run without chudder. What you are putting up with right now is a really crappy ride -- even though you think it is OK. How do I know? I put up with chudder on mine too long, and never knew it was "that bad". Once I had the Werks modification done, it was a completely new bike! And yes, it is easy to spend other people's money, but I'd advise you have Werks fix your clutch basket since you determined the chudder is there. Realshelby has some great videos on their website to watch so you understand how to pull it all apart and put it back together. I think it took me longer to dismantle mine and reinstall it than it took him to modify it! But you also need to factor in the mailman. He cost me a couple days. But all total the bike was apart for less than a week. What a completely different ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode