Where to get secondary TB plates??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Where to get secondary TB plates???

Hi all!! I just took my air cleaner off and inspected my throttle bodies for the 1st time. The owner before me removed the secondary throttle plates and I cannot find out where to purchase or get new secondary throttle plates from. Any suggestions would be great... Dang this bike loves the road/dirt/etc.😎😎😎😎 Thanks in advance!! 2009 DL1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bump... No suggestions????
post #3 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 12:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

RJP, the secondary throttle plates are not available as separate pieces from Suzuki. I'd be looking for a good, unmolested set of throttle bodies from a motorcycle salvage yard.
DonOhio45813 likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Many bikes run better and have more power w/o the secondaries. Are you sure you want them back in? I admit, I have no idea if VStroms specifically, are better or worse with them out.

Edit, BTW, often, the screws are so threadlocked, they get drilled out. So it's very likely you couldn't replace them even if you found a set.

Last edited by DonOhio45813; 07-19-2019 at 12:59 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ya, I was hoping not to have to buy a whole throttle body but looks like I might have too... And I will check the threads, Thank you both!!!😎😎
post #6 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 01:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

RJP, take a gander at this:

Also, I have successfully removed hundreds of throttle plates that were loctited in without a problem. Mazda had a huge recall on their variable intake runner '99-'03 Proteges, and the work consisted of removing the throttle plate screws with new screws equipped with a different locking agent. Never had a problem either removing the old screws or installing the new screws. In the old carburetor days Ive removed throttle plate bolts whos threads were "scotched"(technical service bulletin, not mine). and after installing thenew screws, all I had to do was was scotch the exposed threads with a wire cutter.
bwringer and Gert like this.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

The problem is: you didn't remove them. lol Many people give up and just drill them. I assume the video guy is against removing them? I can't understand him....what language is he speaking?
post #8 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

It wasnt a problem at all. Some screws fell out on their own, most were still in place. And some times both plate screws fell out and the plate was found in the intake manifold. In extreme cases the screw stuck to the piston and bent a valve, or scored a cylinder wall, or made it through the exhaust and was found sitting on top of the warm-up catalytic converter.
Rolex posted about the use of JIS screwdrivers, and they indeed are far better for Japanese screw removal than the more common Philips screwdrivers.
If there is any doubt about removing screws that are loctited in, I merely hold the tip of a 24+watt soldering iron on the screw's head for 5 minutes, the loctite melts, the the screw comes right out.
Works great on removing the handlebar clutch switch retaining screw. Saved me from a breaking the bolt head off, drilling and tapping the switch perch to install a new switch.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

As best I can tell, removing these makes power delivery at part throttle a little more abrupt, leading many to believe that they've magically found more power.

Also, if your secondary throttle position sensor is worn out, the secondaries could start misbehaving and cause some weird issues; removing the plates in this case keeps the secondary throttle system from having any effect. The primary TPS is a well-known issue, of course, but the secondary wears out too.

Personally, I much prefer the bike's better manners with the secondaries in place. You can get back into the power sooner and more smoothly in a corner.

Anyway, in the end it's mostly a matter of personal taste, and it's not a huge difference. Try it and see what you think.

If you'd like to try your bike with secondaries, there are probably hundreds of sets out there that have been tossed into boxes or toolboxes, and they fit into a normal envelope. Post in Parts Wanted and you should be able to score a set cheap.

You'll probably need to visit a real hardware store (not a big box...) to find some M3 screws.

My bike came to me without the secondaries, and it didn't take long to find a set of these. It's the sort of thing lots of riders have lying around, but no one really bothers to put up for sale, so you'll need to ask.
MAZ4ME likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #10 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Removing secondaries is a sportbike thing. I'm surprised they were removed on a VStrom. An 06 ZX14 detailed multi run dyno test showed a 21hp increase with properly adjusted PC3 mapping, but they recommended secondary removal for race use only. (Brocks Performance)

Last edited by DonOhio45813; 07-19-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode