Exhaust leak & installation - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Exhaust leak & installation

Hi all,

05 dl 1000.I have had an exhaust leak for a while and just started to troubleshoot. I have a high pitched annoying song almost like a valve tick. This is what actually made me do valce adjustments and later realized it's the exhaust!!

The leak is at rear cylinder at the joint right next to the shock. The clamp is in a state and I tightened it but I still feel hot and substantial air flow though the space where the bolts is. On closer inspection it seems like the gasket isn't sealing the space/cutout on the female pipe properly. I can see the male pipe (coming from the cylinder) when looking theought the cutout.

I have some minor rough running issues reminiscent of the times when my tps and tbs sync was way off. I checked the tbs again and it seemed to be not bad and tps was on point. Can the exhaust leak cause issues?

Is the clamp/installation right?
Do I need a gasket?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by gopi.sandy; 07-13-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Didn't find what year model your bike is but on a 2003 DL1000, you will need exhaust connector OEM part # 14771-02F00. It is #8 on the OEM exhaust schematic.

Last edited by fearandcommonsense; 07-13-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is important to seal the exhaust system otherwise the introduction of fresh, oxygen rich air will cause things like popping on overrun etc. Seal that exhaust.
As f&c says, Part #8 https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...722edb/muffler
And please put your bike and age in your UserCP/signature, and your location as well. Those details help you recieve more accurate advice.
gopi.sandy likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #4 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
It is important to seal the exhaust system otherwise the introduction of fresh, oxygen rich air will cause things like popping on overrun etc. Seal that exhaust.

As f&c says, Part #8 https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...722edb/muffler

And please put your bike and age in your UserCP/signature, and your location as well. Those details help you recieve more accurate advice.
But does the seal look like in the right position? I am thinking if the seal was a bit lower it would do its job better. Not trying to avoid buying the seal but just saying.

edited the post.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you have an exhaust leak then new connectors/seals are the way to proceed, and you will need to remove and therefore should replace both connectors on the rear exhaust.
The service manual says to also apply Permatex 1372 exhaust sealer to the connectors. Re-torque the muffler mounting and exhaust pipe bolts/nuts to 16.5lb/ft.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

From the look of the clamp, I'd replace that too. Must be a salty environment you ride in?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi.sandy View Post
But does the seal look like in the right position? I am thinking if the seal was a bit lower it would do its job better. Not trying to avoid buying the seal but just saying.

edited the post.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, It appears in one picture that the seal/gasket may be slightly above the pipe and not fully seated. Even if that is the case, the seal/gasket is most likely damaged from the escaping exhaust. You'll probably get a better idea of what's going on when you remove the exhaust.
Skew likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So I went ahead with removing the exhaust and behold there was not a seal to begin with!! Also the the clamp was tacked on to the female pipe and doesnt look stock. And the tacked ring on male pipe was broken.

BUT FORGET ALL OF THAT!! I FKIN BROKE THE BOLTS HOLDING THE FRONT PIPE!! Seems like it happens a lot in general with cars. I dont know if it is rusted real bad that even a screw extractor would work.

ANY TIPS appreicted.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have to do this job also. I will replace the stock clamps with stainless band clamps from Summit Racing. Here are some articles about broken bolt removal.
How to Get Broken Bolts Out
Catalog
Good luck.

It looks like the shock was getting toasty from the exhaust leak.

Paul

2005 DL 1000
2008 ST 1300

Last edited by Hilo Haole; 08-17-2019 at 10:49 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
If you have a welder, my normal first attempt is to thread a nut on and then weld it solid to the stub. Let it cool and 50 percent of the time you can just wrench it out.
K9 Wee, RLBranson and Hilo Haole like this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode