Yet another one of those threads - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Boy
  • 2 Post By bwringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yet another one of those threads

Been lurking for awhile, and am considering a very high mileage vee, its an 05 with 65k, seems reasonably well maintained and has the usual farkles (panniers, crash guard, radiator guard, windshield, a few others) Im learning of the common failures on the big dl, like the fuel filter, stator issue, headlight relay and related startup electrical, clutch basket, etc... plus other high mileage issues, like shock failure, bearing failures, etc. My question is, would any of you reccomend a bike that high in mileage, and how much would you trust it? How much would you expect to pay for it? Owner is asking around 3k, wich seems a bit high. Just getting off one of the best motorcycles ever made, a gsxr 750, and am looking for something reliable and comfortable for a regular 62 mile commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM
$tromtrooper

FWIW 65k not high mileage - better that than a garage queen. Depends on owners maintenance...but with farkles and mileage = touring rider....I'd be pretty comfortable tho price is a bit high depending on the farkles.
For reference I bought a 2010 650 ABS in 2015 with nice kit ( factory luggage, RaceTech front shocks ) for $2250 and sold it two years later for the same price. Had 57k miles on it at the beginning and 74k when sold.

Can't comment on the Vee tho...only experience with the Wee ( x 3 ). Good luck.

We bought a 2014 Wee for $3200 two weeks ago with some farkles and only 11k on the clock. Was the wrong bike for the rider and he bought it new. Needed a fresh battery.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 07-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

No, that's not high mileage at all.

Yes, that's a bit overpriced, assuming you're in the US. I'd try to get it under $3K, maybe closer $2,500-ish if the tires and/or chain/sprockets are on their way out.

Without more details, it's hard to say more. But it's true that the used market for these is pretty soft, and farkles don't really add much value, although they do sweeten the deal a bit if they match your needs.

Odds are that the external fuel filter bypass and a few other fixes have already been done by this mileage; most fuel filters start to clog far earlier.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of cheapasses miss a lot of great riding by trying to chisel the last few hundred bucks off a deal.

It's summer, man. Go buy the thing and ride the piss out of it.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just an FYI - I picked up a 2012 V1000 in March w/ 40K miles on the clock for $3500 in Greensboro NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V Strom.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
BCSTROM likes this.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I know these bikes can make extremely high mileages, but I think the price is a high for an old bike with that mileage. Used bikes this old are a buyers market. Demand is pretty low and there are tons of used bikes around, so don't be afraid to offer what you'd feel comfortable paying.

I live in an fairly expensive area and managed to pick up an '04, under 18k miles with full Givi luggage, touring windscreen and some other bits for $3k and could most likely have gotten it for less but I could see the guy and his family could use the money. The bike started and rode good with no evidence of any problems. Mine will need tires before the start of next season, so be sure to include required maintenance in your value assessment.

That said, if the bike you are considering starts and runs good with no evidence of any problems it could be a deal if you could get him down to $2500 or less. Otherwise I'd keep looking for a better deal. Best of luck.

Really happy with my V-strom so far.

Good Luck.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I got burned on a used klr a few years ago, and so am leary of the high miles, and those are supposed to be among the more reliable of machines. But if the consensus of this forum is that the bike can take it, i may make a reasonable offer. I can say that i missed out on an 07 with 11k miles and a few farkles that listed at $3000 a few weeks ago, so my eyebrows are up at the mileage and price on this one. Anyone have anything for sale on the east coast (Maine)?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

The KLR and the Vee are in completely different leagues as far as long-term durability. Yes, the KLR is a durable engine, and a tank of a bike, but 100,000 miles is exceptional. They're usually drinking oil long before then (then again a big bore kit is relatively cheap).

My Vee is somewhere around 115,000 miles and doesn't use a drop of oil, nor do I expect it to for a looooooong time to come. IIRC, the 400,000 mile guy wasn't burning any oil either, although he was seeing some base gasket leaks starting.

Again, I've seen a lot of folks miss literally years of riding over a couple hundred bucks; their "gotta get that perfect deal" urge is far stronger than the urge to go ride, which I don't quite understand.

TBH, I'd be far more wary of a very low mileage bike than one with 65K miles. Letting it sit is the absolute worst thing you can do to a motorcycle. Second worst, I guess.

And factor in travel time and various inconveniences, too; for example, a bike in Indiana is worth a bit more to me because there's a lot less bureaucratic BS to endure. I've learned the hard way that a bike in Kentucky is normally not worth the effort because they still require titles to be notarized down there and it almost always turns into a giant, pointless pain in the ass. I've bought bikes from Michigan and Illinois without too many issues.

On paper, that "high mileage" Vee is definitely worth a closer look, and if everything lines up and it seems reasonably well-maintained, make an offer and go ride!
Big B and Fox like this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 07-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode