Won't idle in hot weather - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By trooper06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Won't idle in hot weather

Took a ride on interstate for about 30 miles on a 90degree day and rode about 80mph mostly in overdrive. Exiting the ramp the bike just dies. It restarted fine but would instantly die. It almost acted as if it was on choke (if it were an old carb engine) It wasn't missing or running rough at all at speed. I could be doing 60mph and pull in on the clutch and it would die instantly. After reaching my destination and parking it in the garage I rode back home 2 hours later and can not duplicate the problem. It also seems to want to do this when I leave work after the bike has been sitting all day in the hot sun on very hot days. Starts but will not idle and sputters until you get going. Any ideas? It has good gas, Techron regularly, is tuned up and runs great otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

What year and mileage?

Add model and year to your signature to get better answers.

Stab in the dark: TPS
Motorpsychology likes this.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So sorry I forgot to mention it's a 2012 Vstrom Adventure 1000. 35K Also just replaced the high pressure filter due to being clogged and other than this stalling incident and hot weather starts it runs great.
I actually had one of the first bikes in my area that got a new ECM from factory after experiencing the dreaded running issues...too lean, to rich, constant backfiring and sputtering and stalling. Since that swop out it has been a dream machine. Runs great and gets mid 40 mpg running pretty hard. I did not want to go thru having to buy aftermarket stuff and re-flashing just to make a brand new bike run like it should. It almost got the lemon law return until they finally stepped up and got it fixed right. I hate to take it to the shop when it's NOT stalling, you know how that goes, waste of everybodies time. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

First I would check the TPS setting. For the newer version its this procedure:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-3.html

Is probably the same for the 2012 but you may need to consult the maintenance manual.

If that has no effect or it's set correctly then maybe the tps is acting up when it gets real hot. Other possibility is a poor connection somewhere that manifests itself only when hot. I would start with the battery terminals and the main ground. Make sure they are tight and clean, no corrosion.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the exact same issue on my 06 DL1000. I ride 30 miles in 90 deg days on the interstate and every now and then the bike would die at idle after coming off the ramp. I am yet to do the TPS adjustment. The one thing I did notice is that if I key cycle the ignition then the problem goes away.
What I did do is increase the idle to about 1300 to 1400 RPM and that did seem to help. Now when it tries to shut off at idle, it just hunts like crazy misfiring and jumping between 900 to 1400 RPM. Again if cycle the power using the key, problem goes away.
bobbyvstrom likes this.

2006 DL1000
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had the same problem and thought it was the fuel line getting too warm, right above the engine, when I slow down. Vaporlock or something like that. I'm going to wrap it in tinfoil next time I have the tank off. I haven't tried cycling the key, but it will restart and run fine in a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode