Raising DL1000 back to stock - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Raising DL1000 back to stock

Hey everyone,

Been trying to figure out how to raise my 07 DL1000 bike back up to stock (6.5 in ground clearance i think, currently sitting at about 4.75"). Found that the previous owner installed a some Kouba Links #2 for a 1 1/8" drop. I bought oem links and compared the oem to the aftermarket lowering links and the oem links are roughly 1/4" shorter than the aftermarket links. I'm confused as to how this shorter link would make the bike sit higher and if this would even affect the ground clearance and not just the seat height. I don't know if the previous owner lowered the front suspension and wouldn't know how to go about seeing if he did. Front forks look stock but have both Pirelli and Racetech stickers on them.

I had a passenger, adjusted rear preload and rear tire pressure accordingly and scrapped the bottom of my center stand while riding enough times to make me uneasy about it. Together we are a good way away from the max out weight and i have no luggage.

I want to find out:

1) if I'm overthinking this small difference in the link sizes and if this will raise the ground clearance and not just the seat height.
2) Do I need to adjust anything with the front forks and how would I be able to find out if the front forks have been lowered. Preload on front forks is set to the 3rd etch.
3) If I'm going after the wrong things here or I missed something, what should I be focusing on.

Thanks in advance, this has been a month long internet search for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

post #3 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Yes, shorter links raise the bike.

There's a system of levers under there. Might want to grab a beverage and spend some time on the floor staring at them to figure out how it works.

Also, there's a lever ratio in play, I forget exactly what it is (something like 3:1), so if the holes are 10mm closer, it'll raise the bike 30mm (or whatever the actual multiple is).

As far as the forks, it's common for people to pull the forks up in the yokes a bit; there's a specific amount that's considered safe. If you pull them up further, stuff can whack into other stuff at full compression. In stock configuration, the tops of the tubes are flush with the upper surface of the top yoke. Basically, you'll see the cap and then set the line between the cap and the fork tube even with the yoke.

It's also possible to monkey with the fork innards to reduce travel and lower them that way. This is very rare or unknown on V-Stroms (it's mostly a chopper/cruiser thing), so I suspect the fork is simply wearing Racetech fork springs to go with the groovy sticker. Whether the spring rate on these springs matches your needs I dunno. You may need to pull them out and see if a spring rate marking is still visible. You might also check to make sure there's a proper preload spacer in place; I wouldn't put it past some misguided soul to leave this out in search of lower forks.

When you get the suspension back where it's supposed to be, you may find that the kickstand was modified, so I'd take a look at that as well. If you see some welding at the foot, you might want to scare up a stock example on fleaBay first.

A V-Strom lowered that far is a pitiful, neutered thing; you really need that clearance to get around corners at a decent pace. Long story short, someone has had their greasy little fingers in the suspension altering things and you need to set it right. Make no assumptions about what was done.

This may be a lot easier with a more experienced set of eyes on the problem; it's hard to tell what's changed if you've never seen it in stock form. If you care to reveal your approximate location in a vague way, perhaps there's a local Strommer who could help. I'm in Indianapolis and if you're within striking distance, you're welcome in my laboratory.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 07-07-2019 at 07:08 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yes, shorter links raise the bike.

There's a system of levers under there. Might want to grab a beverage and spend some time on the floor staring at them to figure out how it works.

Also, there's a lever ratio in play, I forget exactly what it is (something like 3:1), so if the holes are 10mm closer, it'll raise the bike 30mm (or whatever the actual multiple is).

As far as the forks, it's common for people to pull the forks up in the yokes a bit; there's a specific amount that's considered safe. If you pull them up further, stuff can whack into other stuff at full compression. In stock configuration, the tops of the tubes are flush with the upper surface of the top yoke. Basically, you'll see the cap and then set the line between the cap and the fork tube even with the yoke.

It's also possible to monkey with the fork innards to reduce travel and lower them that way. This is very rare or unknown on V-Stroms (it's mostly a chopper/cruiser thing), so I suspect the fork is simply wearing Racetech fork springs to go with the groovy sticker. Whether the spring rate on these springs matches your needs I dunno. You may need to pull them out and see if a spring rate marking is still visible. You might also check to make sure there's a proper preload spacer in place; I wouldn't put it past some misguided soul to leave this out in search of lower forks.

When you get the suspension back where it's supposed to be, you may find that the kickstand was modified, so I'd take a look at that as well. If you see some welding at the foot, you might want to scare up a stock on on fleaBay first.

A V-Strom lowered that far is a pitiful, neutered thing; you really need that clearance to get around corners at a decent pace. Long story short, someone has had their greasy little fingers in the suspension altering things and you need to set it right. Make no assumptions about what was done.

This may be a lot easier with a more experienced set of eyes on the problem; it's hard to tell what's changed if you've never seen it in stock form. If you care to reveal your approximate location in a vague way, perhaps there's a local Strommer who could help. I'm in Indianapolis and if you're within striking distance, you're welcome in my laboratory.
Good info.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I’m out in the CA Bay Area. Looking at the front forks from your description they may have been clamped lower by roughly an inch and a half if they are meant to sit flush
post #6 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

All the advice above looks good to me.

The stock links are 140 mm center to center. Shorter links raise the bike because the they lift the main frame. It is indeed counter intuitive and has caused a lot of people to scratch their head.

Check your front fork tubes. The caps should be flush with the top of the triple clamp. If you are unsure post a pic of the fork tubes in the top triple clamp.
Gert and Jeff DeWolfe like this.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsastini View Post
Im out in the CA Bay Area. Looking at the front forks from your description they may have been clamped lower by roughly an inch and a half if they are meant to sit flush
Yikes, that's way too low. I think the usual recommendation is for a max drop up front of 15mm, a bit less than 5/8". Check the rear of the front fender for damage from bottoming out.

Someone was really determined to get that poor Vee dirt nasty low.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #8 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I died seeing that dirt nasty low! So I can’t gauge small lengths anymore. Got the calipers out and it measures 13.8mm out of flush/ above the triple clamp, I see the ridge for what I think is the cap your talking about and that the top of that is included in the measurement. Pictures for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C60665C9-47CE-4751-989A-B9980C16365A_1562624938633.jpg (329.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg F02227F0-97BB-467E-996E-B8828C31264B_1562624951102.jpg (306.5 KB, 5 views)
post #9 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yep the forks have been raised to lower the front. It's a simple thing to raise them back up again. Torque on the triple clamp bolts is 14 ft-pounds. I have had this conversation more than a few times before, so don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions see contact form on our website.

The stock rear links are cheap from just about any parts warehouse.

Last edited by richlandrick; 07-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 04:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

A reminder to place a jack under the motor for when you loosen the forks or suspend front end from the rafters. Safety first.
WildDoktor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ground clearance , lowering options , suspension advice , two up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode