DL1000 blowing SIGNAL fuse - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-30-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

DL1000 blowing SIGNAL fuse

Hi, my 2005 DL1000 is blowing the 15A SIGNAL fuse occasionally. I rode it for about 15 minutes this morning until it blew. I do have accessories fitted but they are all wired through independent fuses straight off of the battery and through a relay. I have looked through all the wiring but cannot see anything trapped/rubbing/obvious. This started to happen not long after I replaced the engine cover housing the generator or and CKP sensor but I have looked at the wiring diagram and cannot see a connection with the blowing fuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I don't have a diagram for your bike so I can't be much help there.

You need to know if the signals are the only thing that stops working when the fuse is removed, check all lights and accessories.

Are your signals original or aftermarket ?

Have you opened them up and had a good look inside, that would be a easy place to start.

If you can determine is the left or right side would be a good too, you could ride the bike and only use lets say the left signals and use hand signals for right turns and see if the fuse blows then reverse the test.

If you find it is on one side only you could disconnect just the front signal then the rear working out which signal is blowing the fuse.

If you find it is blowing on both left and right the switch would be worth a look.
richlandrick likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Info from a DL1000 K9 user manual shows that, the 15A SIGNAL fuse protects the turn signal lights, brake/taillight, license light, instrument panel lights and indicator lights. Not much help I know, but provides insight on what is being powered from this fuse.
richlandrick and DesertBike like this.

post #4 of 25 Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thank you all. List of things fed by fuse really helps.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That is helpful but it means the search is now much bigger.

If the fuse pops straight away searching is quite easy but if it is a sometimes thing it can be much harder.

Over the years I have had a number of rear brake light switches fail (not stroms) with a dead short running through the spring to the brake pedal, could be a staring point ?

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Most likely it's a short in the wiring or a high resistance connector. A test lamp is your friend for troubleshooting. I have to warn you though, it can be a long tedious process.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
DesertBike likes this.

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #7 of 25 Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
It's an older thread, sir, but it checks out.

I'm now plagued with pretty much this exact problem. It sucks.

I had the Signal fuse blow for seemingly no reason, a few months ago. I only noticed when leaving for work one morning. When I made the first stop at the end of my street, I found that the turn signal was not working. Nor was anything else dependent on that "Signals" 15A fuse - dash lights, dials, etc. Took the car to work, later found that Signals fuse had blown, replaced it, no problems for months.

Then this morning, Signals fuse blew twice.

As before, not sure when it blew. Noticed once I reached that stop sign, on my way to work. Turned around, parked in the garage, found my spare mini-fuses, replaced the problem one.

Exact same scene played out again. Gave up on riding to work today. Replaced the fuse yet again.

I tried making the fuse blow, in my garage once I had my gear stowed. Figured maybe I could hear something pop or crackle or see smoke. No dice. Nothing unusual at key to "on." Engine started & ran. Using turn signals didn't make the fuse pop. Need to do more testing/inspection.

I've made some changes to the electricals recently, but it was all with brand new Eastern Beaver gear. A short being introduced by any of that seems unlikely. Also, I've been riding for a week with the EB stuff installed & not had any problems.

I might try riding the other direction, when leaving my driveway. Possibly the fault only happens with left or right turns. That could give a clue where to look for the (presumed) short.

Why is this Signals circuit a common problem with older Vees? Must be some specific part of the wiring harness, or switch, that goes bad over time.

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
post #8 of 25 Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
update: I found this gem of a thread in the really old stuff:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...blem-09-a.html

That could well be what's happened to me on my DL1000. I always use the brakes when backing out and down my driveway.

I bet the fuse blows as soon as I apply one of the brakes, I just don't notice it until I'm stopped again at the end of the street.
Gert likes this.

post #9 of 25 Old 07-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Nope, it's not that, or at least it won't blow every time the brakes (either end) are applied. I wasn't able to find the wiring harness described in the thread, so no visual inspection yet. Could be a DL650 vs. DL1000 difference, or else it was just too dark in my garage and I'll see it after another look.

The fuse blew all by itself once in the garage, just from turning the key on. I replaced it and now can't get the fuse to blow no matter what.

This is the absolute worst kind of electrical problem: the intermittent short.

If I can't find the problem, I'll have to seriously consider selling the bike. I am sick to death of working on it instead of riding. It's been really bad this year, with one thing after another.
Big B likes this.

post #10 of 25 Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Try disconnecting the front brake light switch for a few days just remember to use your rear brake so the stop light comes on when stopping.

Then reconnect the front and disconnect the rear switch.

If you are having a look in your garage try buying some 10a fuses then push and pull things looking for a result.

A fuse can be replaced with a globe or a buzzer and will light up or buzz when a earth is found but a earth can be found through any globe at any time so it may lead you down the wrong path.

We had a guy a while back was blowing that fuse and it was a bad earth increasing the load on the fuse.

Have a good look at the taillight and brake light while the indicators are flashing, if they too are flashing you have found your bad earth.
DesertBike likes this.

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode