Oil Leak On The Left Side, Any Connection to Clutch Basket? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-27-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Question Oil Leak On The Left Side, Any Connection to Clutch Basket?

2006 with ~40k on the clock, I've had it for 3 years now... and just nothing but repairs. I've done a new stator (twice, now a new rotor and R/R to go with it). I had an oil leak after the last electrical overhaul, so I took it back into the shop and they saw that the clutch pushrod seal and the sprocket seal were leaking. They replaced both. Now it's still leaking oil through the pushrod seal, and the bikes typical "chudder" is super loud lately. The shop thinks maybe they're connected... if there is something with the clutch basket or springs or bearings could that be wreaking havoc on my seals by moving the clutch pushrod around? Also the chain will NOT stay tensioned, every time I take it in it's super loose again, and now it's at the end of it's adjustment points.

Sorry, I'm just super not handy with anything inside an engine. I prefer to tinker and do cosmetic repairs on things...so this is way over my head. I'm just frustrated that I have spent so much time with this thing in the shop and it's supposed to be a super reliable bike? That's what everyone else that I meet on a vstrom says, and then I just kind of stay silent. haha

Is there any truth to what the shop is saying? Is there another culprit they should look for regarding the oil leak and possibly connected chudder? The chudder is known and it's been there since I bought it but now it's MUCH louder when in neutral and sometimes "barks" pretty good if I'm doing a more aggressive take-off from a stop.

Cheers

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
GL500 Silverwing - 03/13-03/17, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm probably wrong but I had a leak on a bike once I thought was a main seal and it turned out to be the engine case bolts had loosened and was seeping through where the 2 halves met, tightened it up and all was good. Wound up doing the seal anyways cause we ripped the whole thing apart lol...Anyways just a thought
dcdegallier likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangthing View Post
I'm probably wrong but I had a leak on a bike once I thought was a main seal and it turned out to be the engine case bolts had loosened and was seeping through where the 2 halves met, tightened it up and all was good. Wound up doing the seal anyways cause we ripped the whole thing apart lol...Anyways just a thought
Good thoughts! We have already replaced the side seal (twice), and also the other two I mentioned, and it's pretty obviously coming from the clutch pushrod. Trying to figure out why though!

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

First I will tell you that the clutch basket has zero to do with the oil leaks. Your shop can call me at the business number the link in my signature will lead you to. They will learn about the clutch basket, and won't be telling you it is a problem again......

So, what is wrong? A lot of stuff going on here. "Chudder" is actually the vibration from a worn basket. Not the noise. There will be a lot of noise at idle with a worn basket, a tinny metallic slapping sound is typical. Should go away when engine is revved up. There is also a noise at idle called "Idle Hammer. This will go away when revved any at all. More of a wooden mallet tapping on the crankcase noise.

Your shop likely replaced the R/R for no reason at all. They almost never fail. I would ask if they actually tested it. So, that said, I suspect they also screwed up the seal installation. Which isn't all that uncommon.

The chain....must simply be worn clear out. I suspect the sprockets are badly worn? This should be a separate issue to deal with. But honestly I don't know that I would use the same shop.......

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 11 Old 06-28-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
First I will tell you that the clutch basket has zero to do with the oil leaks. Your shop can call me at the business number the link in my signature will lead you to. They will learn about the clutch basket, and won't be telling you it is a problem again......

So, what is wrong? A lot of stuff going on here. "Chudder" is actually the vibration from a worn basket. Not the noise. There will be a lot of noise at idle with a worn basket, a tinny metallic slapping sound is typical. Should go away when engine is revved up. There is also a noise at idle called "Idle Hammer. This will go away when revved any at all. More of a wooden mallet tapping on the crankcase noise.

Your shop likely replaced the R/R for no reason at all. They almost never fail. I would ask if they actually tested it. So, that said, I suspect they also screwed up the seal installation. Which isn't all that uncommon.

The chain....must simply be worn clear out. I suspect the sprockets are badly worn? This should be a separate issue to deal with. But honestly I don't know that I would use the same shop.......
Ok, that all makes sense to me I think. I know the idle hammer and chudder are normal for this bike, however the chudder and especially on harder takeoffs has gotten MUCH louder/worse lately. The chain and sprockets may be totally unrelated, you're right. He seems to think something in the clutch is torquing the pushrod to re-break the seal. Bull-hockey?

I had also had them replace the R/R because I was convinced that it was part of the reason I was burning up stators. I went to a series one instead along with my new stator and replacing the damaged rotor (long story on that one).

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--

Last edited by dcdegallier; 06-28-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2019, 11:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Start with replacing the chain and sprockets. What feels like chudder could be attributed to the worn chain/sprockets.

A bad chain makes for an all-round bad riding experience. I am always amazed at the difference when replaced.
dcdegallier likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 11 Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Did you fix the leak part?

I had a leak like that for the past month, maybe 2-3 drops a couple cms right of where the stand sits. Went to the dealership, had the magneto cover gasket and clutch push rod seal changed, no more leak.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
Did you fix the leak part?

I had a leak like that for the past month, maybe 2-3 drops a couple cms right of where the stand sits. Went to the dealership, had the magneto cover gasket and clutch push rod seal changed, no more leak.
I had both of those seals replaced and the sprocket shaft seal replaced and still had a leak, but I haven't heard back from the shop yet this week. He said that it was leaking from the clutch pushrod seal still, and that it had a "lot of play". Like side to side, not in and out.

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 02:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Check your slave cylinder assembly to make sure the locator dowel is there. Sometimes it falls out unnoticed and allows the slave to move under pressure. This could theoretically allow the pushrod to move side to side allowing the type of wear you are describing.
Gert likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Check your slave cylinder assembly to make sure the locator dowel is there. Sometimes it falls out unnoticed and allows the slave to move under pressure. This could theoretically allow the pushrod to move side to side allowing the type of wear you are describing.
Ok is that what it's called on a parts diagram? I can ask the mechanic.

#BeyondAbove
DL1000K6 - 03/2017, 33k
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode