Fixing up the stock (rear) turn signals. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Fixing up the stock (rear) turn signals.

Some time ago, I shattered the housing of the right rear turn signal. It's been held together with electrical tape and JB Weld for at least a year.

Lately, I've wanted to line the insides of the signal housings with something (BBQ tray material, or trailer tape) to make them brighter. That's hard to do on a housing that's falling apart as you try to work on it, so I went shopping for a replacement signal.

I wasn't going to buy a Suzuki original assembly @ $65, so I took a chance & ordered one of these off eBay for $19.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Rear-T...r/273195133753

There is a cheaper version ($16.95) that is just the shell that sits on the end of the stalk, which is the only part I really need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-...m/272491842249

However, it states it ships from "China/Taiwan/Hong Kong" & I'd rather not wait a month-plus for shipping.

It's interesting that this item claims to be for any signal position (front/rear/left/right). OEM replacements are listed for each position, with 4 corresponding part numbers. Maybe the stalks are different?

Alternately, I could have swapped out the rear turn signals for totally different ones. However, I wanted to keep the stock bulb sockets & wires. They just plug right in to the bike's wiring harness. That's valuable to me. Fussing with electrical terminals is a pain in the butt, & I prefer to minimize it when possible.

I'll post an update once I get the replacement signal assembly. I wouldn't be shocked if it were not in fact a drop-in replacement, and/or required hand fitting to work.

FWIW the factory turn signals are modular, and quick to assemble/disassemble, once you know a couple of tricks. I think they are a good piece of engineering - resilient, and easy to swap out just the broken parts, if something does get broken. Only real downside is that the Suzuki replacement bits are hugely overpriced.

2007 Vee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I ordered one of the chinese replacements for the housing part. Oddly enough, it was a significantly different design from original. The bulb was different and the screw hole for the holder was in a different place. I managed to bodge it together with a self-tapping screw at a weird angle, but it works.
DesertBike likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes the factory signals have tapered bases that correspond to the body-lines. I had some broken front housings taped together and replaced with these from Baja Designs for $36 for the pair.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the connectors off the old front indicators and crimped and taped them onto these (no issues yet will solder if needed). These fit into the "hole" of the indicator nicely and look factory on the front. The downside is the indicators I took off had LED bulbs, and these are not deep enough to accommodate the LED bulb so they are not as bright but still DOT approved. I've used a variety of Baja designs stuff on previous endure bikes and it is decent quality for the price (made in Taiwan). I had no problem changing the fronts without removing fairing or anything. Have not looked at the rears (they weren't broke). Just another option and you could have them in a couple of days. There is a buell signal that some use as well, but prices have risen from what I saw people quoting from several years ago.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Naturally, the photos on eBay do not show the insides of the signal housings, or any details of the connectors.

2007 Vee
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
Yes the factory signals have tapered bases that correspond to the body-lines. I had some broken front housings taped together and replaced with these from Baja Designs for $36 for the pair.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have looked at those particular signals, but notice they use smaller bulbs rated for about half the wattage of the originals (10W vs. 20-ish W). Not sure what practical difference that makes though.

Right front turn signal housing is cracked, but not as badly as the rear one. I've seen flush-mount front turn signals on a slightly older Vee, and it looked pretty sharp, as well as being less prone to breakage. Then again, with turn signals, more frontal area is probably better, so we're back at the Baja Designs or faux-OEM-style signals.

2007 Vee
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Package is here. I haven't had time to mess with them yet, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I got a pair of turn signal assemblies, not just one, which is what I thought I was ordering.

I guess I can fix up that cracked right front turn signal as well. It's only the shell that's cracked, the stalk is fine.

2007 Vee
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
I got a chance to play with the new turn signals. I am not done installing things, but so far am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the units. They aren't as good as Suzuki replacements, but are a good value for the money.

That said, they are not suitable if you have a signal that's missing entirely, or the stalk is broken. More on that below.

Some observations:

-as you say, the bases of stock turn signals are contoured to fit body lines. These aftermarket stalks have flat bases. There's no way they'd fit properly, without a custom-made shim or other creative arts.

-just as with the OEM turn signals, the shell is detachable from the stalk. That's great because I only needed the shell part, and can't really use the stalks.

-the aftermarket lens is more or less a direct copy of the Suzuki one, except it's amber rather than clear.

-it is possible to swap the new shell to the old stalk. You can mix and match the lenses. I think I'll put the amber ones in front. One of the originals there is pretty badly scratched.

-aftermarket shells lack the metal retainer clip found in the OEM units, which helps keep the shell on the stalk. I realized I lost the original retainer clip, when I broke the right rear signal a while ago. Going hunting for a replacement this afternoon.

-aftermarket plastic is less flexible and seems more brittle than the originals. They'll probably shatter if dropped. Oh well, at least they were cheap.

-I'm sticking with the factory bulbs and wiring, so that it plugs in to the harness. So I guess I got a free pair of bulbs, which is nice.

Some more down-in-the-weeds notes:

-the new signals come with a 3-wire bulb socket and an 1157A bulb (amber, 2 levels of brightness, like brake lamps). If you wanted to do the additional wiring bike-side, you could easily use them as running lights.

-you don't just get bare wire ends, there are bullet terminals crimped on.

-the aftermarket shells lack some of the support for the bulb socket, and the placement of the screw is different. If you're re-using the factory bulb socket & wire, as I am, you may need to
bend its tab slightly so it doesn't sit at too weird of an angle. I may also try a couple of washers/spacers on the screw, to get the placement just right.

2007 Vee

Last edited by DesertBike; 06-28-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode