lean angle on side stand? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Question lean angle on side stand?

Hello Troopers,
Recently I have a feeling that my 2008 DL 1000 leans closer to the ground on side stand. is it me comparing this subcontiously with my other bikes or it is really leaning far?also a memenr of face book v strom seeing the picture of the bike alerted me about it. I am posting the photoe , can some one help me with the solution.
Thank you
Ride safe/Ride long
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vs stand.jpg (227.5 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I think they lean too far myself.

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike
post #3 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 01:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Yeah; that seems to lean much farther than mine does. Didn't you raise your rear suspension a bit?

Anyway, either use your centerstand, or strap a hockey puck to the bottom of your kickstand, or carry a bit of 2x4 with you, or...any number of other solutions!
notacop and Gert like this.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers

post #4 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Same on my 04 Wee. I tried tightening up the pivot opening, no help. I carry a bit of 2X4 on a lanyard in the tank bag to make parking it more upright, don't park on a slant!
post #5 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermarkfoster View Post
I think they lean too far myself.
I just recently picked up a 2012 V1000. When I first leaned it over onto the sidestand, I thought I'd forgotten to put down the sidestand!!! Scared the C**P outta me!!!

Yeah, they lean way too far over.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #6 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
get down on the ground and tighten up the sidestand bolt. mine was ridiculously loose. i think that bolt being left loose causes the mounting bracket to bend out leading to a, for the most part, permanent excessive lean, though ya might be able to throw a coupla washers in there to fill in the space.
richlandrick, Gert and Ennsync like this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #7 of 37 Old 06-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You could get a sidestand plate or attach a piece of steel yourself to the bottom of the sidestand. You could also do wood, though it will wear more quickly. Cut out a disk of plywood and screw down thru the holes in the flat plate on the end of the tubular shaft. Experiment first with diff thicknesses of wood. (My '13 DL650 has holes in the sidestand plate).
Gert likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Have you read https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...,21586.0.html? Perhaps ask someone help you hold up the bike while you measure by how much the side stand must be increased, to have an idea of the addition height required. Once you have the measurement that you need, you can order or make an extension foot piece. Maybe the hockey puck idea is a good idea, in that, it can be height trimmed if required. Plus the hockey puck route is an inexpensive option.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I think there was someone on here (maybe oydnar?) who ended up replacing the entire mounting bracket on his DL1000, after discovering, upon inspection, that the metal was fatigued and allowing too much lean angle. Anyone else want to chime in on that?

I tried bending mine back a bit, but it didn't seem to last very long. So far I just park with the kickstand foot on a piece of plywood or something similar, since mine didn't look bad enough to worry about.
Ennsync likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode