question before I do the external fuel filter mod - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

question before I do the external fuel filter mod

my 08 Vee has +54,000 miles. Over the weekend, in temps in the low 90s and humidity in the 90s, stuck in urban congested traffic for +1 hour, it started to randomly pop/bang/backfire in the air box. Engine temp was 3 bars and the fan was running. After an hour or so, I got onto interstate. Air flow brought engine temp to normal 2 bars. It seemed to run fine, and I maintained 75+ mph easily. Then I realized I had no acceleration power when I went to pass or even go up a slope. The more I tried throttle the more it bogged and slowed. I futzed with the throttle and found a 'happy place' so I could make forward progress. Got home ok, but rather anxious the whole time.

Once home I started reading all the threads and figure I have a clogged high pressure fuel filter. I am headed to NAPA for the external filter, FI hose and FI clamps.

But first I have a question.

It appears that the hole that you drill in the plastic portion of the fuel pump assembly is drilled to bypass the high pressure fuel filter. https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html Can the high pressure fuel filter just be completely removed and have that be the modification rather than drill the hole? (I'm a bit nervous about drilling the hole.) Will the fuel pump assembly go back together and operate with the high pressure filter removed? Then could one proceed with the mod by adding the external fuel filter?

Any thoughts from those of you who have successfully completed the external fuel filter modification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

First do the flow test: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...t-results.html

If the flow is low then just do the modification as detailed in your reference. Not difficult, easy to drill the hole almost by hand. Don't try to remove the filter or pressure regulator, you just end up with problems.

Make sure to get proper high pressure fuel line and the correct fuel line clamps (not the ordinary hose clamps): https://www.stromtrooper.com/4491874-post2.html

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

yep, I did the flow test. Got less than half the flow recommended.

Here is a photo of my lo pressure, initial screen. Gross. All sorts of gunk piled up along the edge of that square clip that goes over top the screen. You can see exactly where the square clip sat.

Hmmm, any chance that the flow reduction is caused by this first screen and the hi pressure filter is still OK? But I really don't want to put it all back together, re-test, and then have to disassemble it all again to get to this point. I can just move forward with drilling the by-pass hole.

And, the other photo shows a fine film of greenish tint -- like a fine film over everything. I'm guessing that is the ethanol sediment.

When I looked inside my tank once the fuel pump assembly was off, I though it was quite clean. Once I saw the film on the pump, I reached inside and ran my finger across the inside of the tank. It's just a fine coating but seems to be all over. Would not pass a white glove test!

Should some sort of cleaner be sloshed around in the tank to wash off that film? If so, what would be used to do that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190619_173451.jpg (285.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190619_172951.jpg (304.7 KB, 14 views)

post #4 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Don't fear the hole!

Really, it looks complicated when you read it has to be at an angle and all that. But, it is not as bad after you have it out and sit there and look at it a bit. Do flush it out some if you can, might be surprised at what comes out! Probably a LOT more complicated trying get the filter out, but then again I have not tried that.
Big B, larolco, Cryoman and 1 others like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Don't overthink it. The bike is 10 years old so you are bound to have some muck in the tank. Good news is there is no rust!

I think you can find a new pre-filter relatively cheap, search for it, if you are concerned about cleaning the one you have. Its really just a strainer to protect the pump.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I did the fuel filter bypass a few months ago, not difficult with all the guidance provided on this site. Take pictures of the fuel pump before and as you dismantle it to aid you in putting it back together. I cleaned the suction screen by soaking it in solvent and blowing it out with compressed air. Might as well rinse out the tank since its very little extra work at this stage of the project.
post #7 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

drilling the hole is the easy part. just follow instruction and look at the pictures closely before you dive in.

You will find that the hardest part for this project is removing the hose and clamp from the engine/manifold(engine side). that was a bitch and took me the longest.

I realize you completed a fuel flow test. but for my problem of engine not revving was actually caused by the throttle grip. I have oxford heated grip and during winter when I use the heated grip, it has been slowing slipping as the super glue was not holding the entire winter. So also check that your throttle grip hasn't slip enough that it was hindering the throttle cable.

After the external fuel filter mod. your bike will feel new again!

2008 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
2013 Yamaha WR250R
2004 BMW R1150RT
2002 Ducati 998 Superbike
2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix/Independent
1982 BMW R100RT
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Sold
1985 Yamaha FZ-750 - Sold
1984 Kawasaki GPZ-750 - Sold
post #8 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OK everyone, thanks for the moral support. Much appreciated.

THAT WAS THE LONGEST 2MM HOLE EVER DRILLED!!!! No idea why I was so anxious over drilling it, now that I am done. But wow, it seemed to take forever to drill through 2mm of plastic. LOL. Correct spot? Correct angle? Correct drill bit?

One thing I did do prior to drilling was to use some masking tape and covered the triangle hole. Glad I did because there was quite a lot of plastic thrown off the drill bit.

Prior to drilling, went to NAPA (aka, Never Any Parts Available) and fully expected to wait a few days for parts to come in. They had everything -- including two different filters to select from. I picked the #3310. I wanted the smaller diameter one and the clerk said it was 1mm smaller diameter. I told her she was too young to remember the ole cigarette commercial "A silly millimeter longer" and she agreed. Then she rolled her eyes and took my credit card.

Some dark gas came out when I flushed the filter.

I got the fuel pump assembly all cleaned up and put back together. I'll play with the new filter location under the tank tomorrow after work. I bought 2 feet of FI hose just to give myself options. And hopefully I'll ride it Saturday. Amazingly enough, it isn't supposed to rain here Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190620_195921.jpg (291.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190620_194809.jpg (348.6 KB, 14 views)
Cryoman likes this.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

As I was fitting the new parts in place, I concluded that the NAPA 3310 was simply too large physically for my liking. I know lots of riders used it and located it under the tank bracket, but I wasn't liking that idea. This morning I went to NAPA and swapped the 3310 for a 3095. Besides being smaller, the filter specs seemed better. The 3310 was a 50 microns and the 3095 is at 11. The 3310 was 2.16 inches diameter and the 3095 is 1.26. Thus, I was able to locate the 3095 in the pathway of the original fuel line between the tank and the injector's intake. Original FI fuel line is gone, new FI fuel line with the in-line filter follows the original path of the original line.

I could not figure out how to tie down the filter for stability and still be able to lift the tank. So I cut some bicycle innertube pieces and fit them over the filter as protection for the filter should it contact anything, and as protection for anything that the filter should contact. Once I had everything buttoned up I realized that was kinda overkill -- not needed. The fuel line is very rigid and the filter is not in contact with anything.

The fuel pump responded as normal when I turned the key. The bike fired right up, but ran really rough. Duh, then I remembered I drained almost all of the gas earlier. With a gallon of gas added, the bike ran and reved fine in the driveway. No leaks. I'll go for a ride later to see how the modification address my problem of acceleration to pass at 70+ mph in 6th gear.
eagleeye and gdrew like this.
post #10 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There is a reason that most of the time you see owners use the 3310 fuel filter. It is rated for fuel injection pressures. The 3095 is made for carburated engines and I cannot find ANY reference to its pressure rating. Which makes me think it isn't rated for the 40-50 psi or so the fuel injection system operates at. It may work just fine, but I remember looking at that when I done mine and couldn't trust it.
Big B and Gert like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode