As I was fitting the new parts in place, I concluded that the NAPA 3310 was simply too large physically for my liking. I know lots of riders used it and located it under the tank bracket, but I wasn't liking that idea. This morning I went to NAPA and swapped the 3310 for a 3095. Besides being smaller, the filter specs seemed better. The 3310 was a 50 microns and the 3095 is at 11. The 3310 was 2.16 inches diameter and the 3095 is 1.26. Thus, I was able to locate the 3095 in the pathway of the original fuel line between the tank and the injector's intake. Original FI fuel line is gone, new FI fuel line with the in-line filter follows the original path of the original line.
I could not figure out how to tie down the filter for stability and still be able to lift the tank. So I cut some bicycle innertube pieces and fit them over the filter as protection for the filter should it contact anything, and as protection for anything that the filter should contact. Once I had everything buttoned up I realized that was kinda overkill -- not needed. The fuel line is very rigid and the filter is not in contact with anything.
The fuel pump responded as normal when I turned the key. The bike fired right up, but ran really rough. Duh, then I remembered I drained almost all of the gas earlier. With a gallon of gas added, the bike ran and reved fine in the driveway. No leaks. I'll go for a ride later to see how the modification address my problem of acceleration to pass at 70+ mph in 6th gear.