2011 V-Strom 1000 improvements - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2011 V-Strom 1000 improvements

Hello,
I am buying a 2011 V-Strom 1000 and i would like to know what are the best improvemnts you can do on the bike, Suspension, ECU, mufflers, seat, winshild etc...

Thanks in advance,

Guy The Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Vee purchase. I have an '06 Vee and have owned it for 11 years. The bikes are good from the beginning but can be improved to your liking. Not knowing your size or how you ride, I can't make specific recommendations but here is some general information. If your bike runs rough or surges around 2500-4000 RPM, the ECU has not been flashed to take care of that lean running condition which is common with the bikes. A PCFC can take care of that easily, or if you don't like to tweak on a bike, you can have a knowledgeable shop flash the ECU to take care of the issue. That one made me nuts and I love the way it runs now at low speed. Some folks hate the seat. For me, it's very comfortable and my wife agrees with that on the rear seat. I put a sheepskin cover over the seat to reduce the sweating and freezing common with vinyl seats. The stock exhausts work well but are heavy. Aftermarket ones are much lighter and noisier but do not add power appreciably. Plus, if you go aftermarket, you will likely need to have your ECU flashed to reduce lean running conditions in the low and mid range again. I'm only 164 pounds and my wife is pretty light, too. Because I ride two-up quite a bit, I put progressive and a little stiffer springs in the forks to reduce the nose-dive when braking hard. Some guys change the rear shock and put kits in the front forks to help the handling. I just put a fork brace on and lowered the forks tubes in the triples a little and mine is rock solid on a track and street. To improve fuel mileage and perhaps gain a HP or two, you can install a modified key for your flywheel/rotor to advance the spark about 4 degrees. Run mid-grade gas if you do. I've tried some windshields and now use a very small one. If your Strom is like mine, crosswinds are a real problem. The smaller the windshield, the better in that regard. If you'd like a large aftermarket shield, come and get it for free. Vees and Wees are good for hundreds of thousands of miles, so generally speaking, just go ride it. They are almost unbreakable. If you are into performance, you can gain about 15-20 HP if you have enough money. We're talking thousands. So don't concern yourself with that and just enjoy the bike. Oh, if you'd like a little more power in 5th and 6th, you can get a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) and stick it in there so you get full power in those gears. And you can install a Speedo Healer to make the speedometer correct at the expense of making the odometer slow. There's really no end to it. It all depends on your use and needs.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hello,
As french is my primary language what is a PCFC ?

Thank you for the advises,

post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Laroche View Post
Hello,
As french is my primary language what is a PCFC ?

Thank you for the advises,
Power Commander Fuel Controller
bobbyvstrom likes this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvstrom View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Vee purchase....
Fully agree with what bobbyvstrom said. I ride a 2009 Vee. No added gadgets except for a givi windshield, fork brace, raised the forks 15mm to improve handling and compensate for rear suspension sagging. I run regular fuel, no ECU upgrade, run 41 PSI in both tires all the time, use radial tires in the rear (anakee 3) and bias ply in the front (Heidenau K76).

At 130,000 km she burns and/or leaks about 100 mm of oil per 6000 km. Will need new front springs as they now too weak. Has plenty of power to pass any vehicle, as long as you like shifting.

In summary a good bike mechanical wise but the plastic parts are crap (cheaply made). It is dependable as long as you do the maintenance.
Gert likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Grip puppies
Givi cases and mounting hardware
Belly pan
Bagster tank cover and tank bag
Power Commander V
USB plug
Voltmeter
Eastern Beaver's headlight switching mod
Eastern Beaver's taillight power tap out harness
Richland Rick's LED driving lights
Richland Rick's forkbrace
Richland Rick's auxiliary shelf
Richland Rick's over dash GPS mount

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've added, and all well worth the $ in my opinion:

AdventureTech Mirror Extenders
Suzuki OEM Centerstand
AdventureTech Peg/Controls Lowering Kit (6'4"/34" inseam here)
Givi Airflow 22" Windshield
Alaska Leather Sheepskin Seat Cover (Longhaired, natural version: adds a nice "dead animal" touch to the bike)

Last edited by muleskinner; 06-23-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Laroche View Post
Hello,

I am buying a 2011 V-Strom 1000 and i would like to know what are the best improvemnts you can do on the bike, Suspension, ECU, mufflers, seat, winshild etc...

Thanks in advance,

Guy The Rock

Hello Guy,

Have you found a good technical manual also because Iím looking for one. Thank for the share if you have one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Handguards and footpegs.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

No i did not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode