Will a tune up help smooth out 1-2nd gears - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

7Likes
  • 2 Post By Hard miles
  • 1 Post By Sagebrush
  • 1 Post By Demache
  • 1 Post By DXDL
  • 2 Post By Garagedoorman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Will a tune up help smooth out 1-2nd gears

At slower speeds, the bike seems a little bit like a wild stallion, dying to get out and go.

I have a 2007 DL1000 with 27K miles. Not sure if a tuneup, or any other work, has ever been done.

Any suggestions?

Have you seen a big difference in terms of slow speed smoothness, gear shifts between 1st and 2nd, with any work you have performed in the past?

Just trying to cruise at 25 mph is an effort.

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Needs the following:
- check the valve clearances (buy a manual and do it yourself (take your time))
- throttle body sync ( as explained in this forum)

I have a 2009 DL 1000, and it does not like slow speeds. I did a 2400 km trip with 4 Goldwings, on the back roads of NH,Maine and NY and I had to keep the revs between 3500 and 4000rpm while they cruised at slower rpms. Its the nature of the beast - we make our torque at higher revs. Makes for a rougher going at slow speeds.
Big B and Demache like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I added a power commander to mine. The factory fuel mapping was too lean for me. It lets me put around at 2500 rpm if I'm easy on the throttle. At 27K I would make sure the valves were adjusted, new spark plugs, new air filter. These bikes cruise best above 3500 rpm, I shoot for 4,000 to 4,500 on the interstate. You can also drop a tooth on the counter sprocket, but that does mess up the speedo. I run a 530 chain with 17/42 sunstar sprockets for a SV1000, along with a Gman TRE and it made the bike much more fun to ride. TB sync helps with idle smoothness, but do that after the valve adjustment. It will need an adjustment, have shims ready unless you are sure its been done recently. Check the fuel hose on the injector rail, those are prone to leaking. Also the vac test nipples on the throttle bodies crack and cause vacuum leaks, I put extensions on mine. That makes it easy to sync the TB's.
Demache likes this.

Last edited by Sagebrush; 06-18-2019 at 08:40 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard miles View Post
Needs the following:
- check the valve clearances (buy a manual and do it yourself (take your time))
- throttle body sync ( as explained in this forum)

I have a 2009 DL 1000, and it does not like slow speeds. I did a 2400 km trip with 4 Goldwings, on the back roads of NH,Maine and NY and I had to keep the revs between 3500 and 4000rpm while they cruised at slower rpms. Its the nature of the beast - we make our torque at higher revs. Makes for a rougher going at slow speeds.
Pretty much this. Also, check for play in the cush rubbers on the rear wheel. Mine were the factory originals (I'm sure) and had tons of play. After putting in some new ones the bike seems quite a bit less snatchy and smoother. Fairly inexpensive and easy to check and replace, as long as you can remove the rear wheel on your own. If the sprocket carrier just falls off the wheel when the axle is removed, its time for new cush rubbers.

I also upped my rear sprocket to 43 tooth. It makes lower speeds much more tolerable and a bit more usable torque, while not making interstate speeds too buzzy. I sometimes catch myself crusing at nearly 3000 rpm. That will require you to get a SpeedoDRD unless you want your speedo and odometer to be nearly 10% incorrect.

But otherwise its never going to be the kind of bike to take it easy at low speeds. That said, 25 should be fairly easy to maintain if you do everything we mentioned above. Maintaining 10 mph stuck behind a farm implement uphill, now that's when it gets restless. Your basically idling and slipping the clutch in 1st lol.
Hard miles likes this.

2007 V-Strom DL1000 (current!)

Previous:
1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C (2016-2017)
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 (2012-2016)

Last edited by Demache; 06-18-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

You might check this out. Helped my 1st to 2nd shift smoothing it out.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/dl1000...-exchange.html
richlandrick likes this.

2008 DL1000
42,800 miles
Saddleman seat, upgraded stator
Shinko 705's
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

A 530 sprocket/chain upgrade also smooths up the shifting. Mine shifts like butter since the chain alignment was improved with the 530 upgrade. A 15w40 dino oil seems to work good. Bike likes the 20w50 too, 10w40 is notchy in my 2006.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

From the factory, Vees are very lean at low RPMs. You need to get your ECU flashed to increase fuel at low RPMs or get a PCFC to adjust the same thing. (Power Commander Fuel Controller) Vees nearly all are way too lean in the 3500 RPM and below range. Your Suzuki dealer should be able to flash our ECU for you. What the other posters have said is also true, but lean mixture from the factory is the most common problem. It made my bike pleasurable to ride instead of always trying to keep the RPM up. Swallow the couple hundred bucks and get it done right. Having to ride at high RPM is a pain and it's all easily fixed.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
A 530 sprocket/chain upgrade also smooths up the shifting. Mine shifts like butter since the chain alignment was improved with the 530 upgrade. A 15w40 dino oil seems to work good. Bike likes the 20w50 too, 10w40 is notchy in my 2006.
Hmm... interesting. Will try 20W50 in the summer heat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought my 2008 a month ago with 8000 miles on it.

I was experiencing the same problems from take off, first and second gear.

1.) I checked and set the throttle bodies, they were very close to being in sync.
2.) Put the service plug in factory diagnostic mode to check the primary throttle body sensor, it was align properly.
3.) Checked the fast idle STVA Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator voltage. It was ok.
4.) Replaced spark plugs. Old plugs looked good.
5.) Installed new air filter. Old filter could have been blasted with air.

There was no difference after all that work and checking.

SOOO ...

6.) Installed a PCIII with Exleper's Jett map.
7.) Installed a GIPro gear indicator with an ATRE. Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator.

After all the PCIII and GIPro... All I can say is WOW !!!

bobbyvstrom and Gert like this.

2008 Silver DL1000
Fork Brace
WERKS Clutch Basket
Super Bright 5600K LEDS
Continental Attack Tires
Power Commander III
GIPro Gear Indicator ATRE
GP Kompozit Windshield
Mirror Extensions
OEM Center Stand
Galper Front Sintered Brake Pads
Galper Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
SV Racing Big Brake Adapter Kit
Nissin Gold 4 Piston Front Calipers
( From 2003 Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade )
Maxima 10/40 PURE Synthetic Oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode