I need a new ecm..... suggestions? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Demache
  • 2 Post By Grimmer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I need a new ecm..... suggestions?

Hey guys, I got this 2003 dl1000, it had been in a wreck, and then sat outside for like 2 years. I got it up and running, and then it suddenly started running like crap, it would spit and cough at like 3500 rpm as if the ignition was cutting In and out. I thought it was water in the fuel system. So I cleaned it all out, dried out the tank and installed a new post pump filter, then checked injectors, then replaced coils, plugs, TPS (I had spares) tried adjusting TPS, primary and secondary, checked all my sensors, couldnt find anything. A buddy brought over his ECM and we swapped it out, bike immediately ran perfect.

Now a new ECM is as much as the bike is worth, and should I trust one off EBAY???, or is it worth it to try and have this one repaired.

Thanks ahead of time...
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi all, friend who traded him the bike here- I see that the Suzuki part number is the same for the ECM from 2002 through 2006 (though there is a second ECM that shows up in 2003 that I am assuming is for Euro models?)

Does this mean that if we got an ECM from a 2006 it would work? Would it need to be remapped (I know the fuel mappings changed significantly in 2004)?

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
So the thing that would concern me is that on the K4, they changed the ECM connector into two separate ones, if the what I'm reading in the service manual is correct. I can't imagine that its immediate doom and gloom, but I would not want to mess around with creating a harness adapter.

I would make sure whatever ECM you get, it has the same terminal connector as the one you have currently.

Also, did you verify the terminal connector was free of corrosion? While that would be concerning if water got in there anyway, but corrosion will absolutely make it run like garbage.
aTuWitty and Gert like this.

2007 V-Strom DL1000 (current!)

Previous:
1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C (2016-2017)
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 (2012-2016)

post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demache View Post
So the thing that would concern me is that on the K4, they changed the ECM connector into two separate ones, if the what I'm reading in the service manual is correct. I can't imagine that its immediate doom and gloom, but I would not want to mess around with creating a harness adapter.

I would make sure whatever ECM you get, it has the same terminal connector as the one you have currently.

Also, did you verify the terminal connector was free of corrosion? While that would be concerning if water got in there anyway, but corrosion will absolutely make it run like garbage.
+1... Maybe cycling the connector was what really fixed it (works more often than you would think). Have you tried putting your original ECU back in for testing?

If it is still not working, I would check around at some junk yards (assuming you have motorcycle junk yards in your town). If the eBay option is a legit pull from a wrecked bike and not too pricey to risk you would probably be OK there as well. The only advantage of the local junkyard would be the ability to talk to them face to face... I doubt they would give you much of a warranty on electronic parts, but maybe.
aTuWitty and Gert like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
+1... Maybe cycling the connector was what really fixed it (works more often than you would think). Have you tried putting your original ECU back in for testing?

If it is still not working, I would check around at some junk yards (assuming you have motorcycle junk yards in your town). If the eBay option is a legit pull from a wrecked bike and not too pricey to risk you would probably be OK there as well. The only advantage of the local junkyard would be the ability to talk to them face to face... I doubt they would give you much of a warranty on electronic parts, but maybe.
I tried his bad ECM in my 2003 right after we put my good ECM into his 2003. My ECM made his bike run fine, his ECM made my bike run like crap. The pins on the connector look like they're fine, but I'll have a second look today. I would like to know what the issue is and if it's correctable (maybe re-flash the firmware? I dunno).

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
It was my understanding that Suzuki claimed their ECM's are not flashable.

If you can eliminate the possibility of bad connections and the chance of moisture inside shorting something out then there is an increasing possiblity of internal electrical failure of the ECM. I've never tried to disassemble the ECM but a quick look might reveal some charred component (you could try a smell test since burnt semiconductors have a distinctive and horrible smell that never seems to go away.

The trouble seemed to follow the ECM so you might already be down to the point of finding the least expensive option for replacement.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for repairing the ECM's internal workings on these bikes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode