Mounting BarkBusters VPS - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By teevee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Mounting BarkBusters VPS

So, I have searched and searched but cannot figure out why i cannot perform this otherwise simple mod. My '05 DL1000 has a throttle-lock (installed by previous owner) and stock controls and mirrors. I have added JP shorty levers but they do not look any bigger than the stock ones (front to back) did. When installing the aluminium bracketry the large bracket touches the front brake lever. I thought it was no big deal, but on a ride the other day my front brake slowly LOCKED up at highway speed. Not fun. Removed the BarkBusters from the left side while on the side of the highway and the front brake released tension. Now trying to re-install I can NOT get the brackets to mount without it touching the front brake in any fashion. I have swapped in every possible combination of the provided hardware imaginable and the only way that the bracket does not touch the front brake is to have it run well below the front brake lever. Not optimal.

The clutch side has a very slight gap, but i dont trust it to much. The BarkBusters are brand new, never been dropped on so they cannot be the problem.

Can someone get me (or point me to) good hi-rez pics of mounting these on this model dl from the handlebar bracket all the way out to the bar-end? I have google searched, but so far no luck. I have include images that show the problem and how I had things mounted up. I have removed everything for now hoping to find the correct way to install them. The included instructions where not really helpful to me but i may have been missing something along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190602_180830.jpg (266.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190612_190036-800x600.jpg (53.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190612_190059-600x800.jpg (49.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190521_170918-800x600.jpg (82.8 KB, 7 views)

2005 DL1000, 25k
2009 Harley Road King 45k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2019, 03:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have you tried adding spacers (eg washers), with perhaps a longer mounting bolt, to get the required clearance?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
looks like you have the stock handle bars. all i can tell you is that i went through a similar fight when i installed my guards, going through several brands before finding the one that fit.

write barkbusters an email. they are a helpful bunch.
DesertBike likes this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)

post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

When I fitted them to my Wee I did put the L shaped bracket on up side down to get them into a position I was happy with, I had not such trouble with my V2.

That main bar that does all the work can be reshaped in a good vice to get any clearance you need.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode