Two Brothers Exhaust Repack question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to viclava
Two Brothers Exhaust Repack question

I recently purchased a used set of Two Bros slip-ons for my 02 1000. I'm going to repack them prior to installing them, as I don't know when it was done last. Does anyone know if the steel wool has to be done as well or just inspect and determine? Any hintsw or advice from someone who has then would be great.

All I know is they came off of an 2010 Vee.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have you tried reaching out to Two Brother's to see what they recommend?

For the record rode with a dude on a DL1000 with Two Brother slipon's and they sounded rather nice.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Look on eBay. Repacking material is readily available.

General rule of thumb for repacking: The tighter you wrap the 'packing', the louder the sound.

I repacked a D&D can which was "Wake The Dead" LOUD. The OE packing was very tight. I repacked it with less density and the resulting sound was great.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields

Last edited by Big Boy; 06-12-2019 at 08:28 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My bike (2012) came with a set of 2 Bros slipons and it was loud as straight pipes ---pulled the end caps off and installed a couple of perforated shower drain covers ---cost a couple $ each--put the caps back on and voila---it still barks but doesn't give you a headache---might have $6-7 dollars in it. Far cheaper than the dB killers they sell. Check out Lowes or Depot---they come in a couple of diameters.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
Look on eBay. Repacking material is readily available.

General rule of thumb for repacking: The tighter you wrap the 'packing', the louder the sound.

I repacked a D&D can which was "Wake The Dead" LOUD. The OE packing was very tight. I repacked it with less density and the resulting sound was great.
Big Boy, your statement cracked me up because it is so true and I did the same exact thing with a pair of D&D cans on a Triumph Sprint...truly wake the dead loud.

Totally agree on the lighter packing and don't believe the 'steel wool' portion needs to be replaced but loosen the packing for a more tame sound. I have the C4 TBR cans on my bike (see thread 'The transformation has begun...') which I cut 8 inches off the length, tossed the steel wool portion of the packing and about half of the other packing. It is loud but I love it and expected it shortening them so much.

Sorry, I digress, repacking the TBR cans was much easier than the D&D and do it to your liking. Let me know if you have any specific questions, happy to help.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've used the moose racing repack kits on mine in the past with the metal mesh screen. The moose kit is overkill IMO. I liked the thinner 2Bros kits better. My DL1000 with old 2Bros round cans didn't need repacking at over 30,000 miles. At 45K they still look and sound fine. Packing was very tight and dense. Open the end where the exhaust enters before you buy repacking materials. May not need it.

On second thought, take a flash light and check the packing first, if its even all around I wouldn't open them. It was a waste of time for me and a pain in the butt, mine had large stainless pop rivets. It takes a big rivet gun to do the job and a very strong hand, or better tools than I have. I had to buy a lager tool to get it back together.

My D&D mufflers on a FJR didn't last 20K, the mufflers were almost empty. When they get really raspy you will know its time, mine are still very low toned. I won't pull them apart again till the noise changes. I barely had any burn at all, but my bike has always been run cool, had a PC on it since new.

Last edited by Sagebrush; 06-18-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode