Strange oil leak - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bwringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Strange oil leak

Slight leaking out of the tube in the green circle.
Is it because of the one in the red is partially blocked/ or fully. I know the one is a coolant line btw..the smaller guy behind it
Pairs removed. Valve cover reeds are capped off
Also, new Touratech locking oil cap.
Oil is not overfilled.
Oil is 10-40 Mobile 1 4T
Air box lid on it is the one for street use only. Holes drilled in it.
I can't figure it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3389.jpg (422.6 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That's the drain for the water pump.

There's both an oil seal and a mechanical water seal in there. If one fluid (or both) is leaking, it'll leak into a little space in between the seals. This space inside the water pump is provided with the drain you see so that the antifreeze doesn't mix with the oil or reach the bearings. Many car water pumps have a weep hole that performs a similar function; the weep hole allows leakage to drain before it reaches the bearings.

A few drops of oil or antifreeze now and then is of no concern. It's fairly common to see a few drops on first startup if the bike has been sitting a while.

Any more than that, or a persistent leak, and it's time to pull the water pump and clutch cover and rebuild the water pump with new seals, o-rings, bearings, and gaskets. There's a specific order and procedure to it that's explained clearly in the shop manuals.

You can just watch and wait a while if you like; if it gets worse, it'll only get worse slowly. In your case, sounds like it's persistent, so it's time to order parts. But you should be fine to keep riding for a few weeks.
K9 Wee likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 06-05-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I tend to agree with bwringer. I have the same on another of my bikes, a Honda. I kept an eye on it for a while and then I gave up because it never got any worse and was'nt bad enough to pull the water pump. If it is an occasional drop I suggest doing likewise.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ahhh. Okay.
There's a little story behind that- pun intended.
It's not important but I will say after having to pull the cover again because my clutch wouldn't disengage- I screwed up the suzuki gasket by trying to clean with brake cleaner.
That instantly stripped the silicon or rubber bead that's on top of the base material. I had an out of state ride coming in less then 48 hours so I used Anaerobic sealer.
It continues to keep the coolant and oil separate with no detectable leaks.
I thought for a moment after reading @bwringer post above- maybe its the Anaerobic. Ehh can't be.
Shoot. That's a supposed low-mile cover and water pump.
I effed up and cracked the old (original) cover trying to rebuild the, then going pump. To much pressure on the press without supporting underneath the seal / bearing area. Such a rookie move. Mad about that again because that mistake is now affecting me again. GRRR
All I've done is wrench on this thing since March. Just "finished 2 sundays ago. Refreshed and modded, farked like crazy.
Oh well, labors cheap.
Pic of it from last month or around there.
Thanks
I was stumped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled image.jpg (118.4 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ahhh. Okay.
There's a little story behind that- pun intended.
It's not important but I will say after having to pull the cover again because my clutch wouldn't disengage- I screwed up the suzuki gasket by trying to clean with brake cleaner.
That instantly stripped the silicon or rubber bead that's on top of the base material. I had an out of state ride coming in less then 48 hours so I used Anaerobic sealer.
It continues to keep the coolant and oil separate with no detectable leaks.
I thought for a moment after reading @bwringer post above- maybe its the Anaerobic. Ehh can't be.
Shoot. That's a supposed low-mile cover and water pump.
I effed up and cracked the old (original) cover trying to rebuild the, then going pump. To much pressure on the press without supporting underneath the seal / bearing area. Such a rookie move. Mad about that again because that mistake is now affecting me again. GRRR
All I've done is wrench on this thing since March. Just "finished" 2 sundays ago. Refreshed and modded, farked like crazy.
Oh well, labors cheap.
Pic of it from last month or around there.
Thanks
I was stumped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled image.jpg (118.4 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode