Looking at 2005 vee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Looking at 2005 vee

I have a 2006 650 and looking at a 2005 1000 with 20k miles. I have about the same but the 1000 has luggage which I need. What should I look at closely on the 1000? Mine is pretty loaded up with heated grips, engine guards, skid plate, barkbusters, throttle lock. The 1000 gas gauge does not work he says, I don't know if it doesn't show anything or stuck at half full. I know about the clutch issues, look for rear spacer or see if chain lines up. Is there any other things I should look into or be aware of or just stick with the 650? Any input is appreciated. I also have risers and pullbacks. Thanks ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I recently bought a 2007 Vee in fine condition, under 9K miles, which I am very happy with. The overall condition of the one you are looking at should say a lot. Does it have a PC unit to rectify the lean running issues those earlier models are know to have? Obviously test ride to verify how it runs throughout the rpm range. Does it need tires? Every potential negative you are able to point out will help you negotiate the price down, or cause you to pass on that particular bike.

K7 Vee for the road, K6 DR650 for the treks more challenging

Available for rides in S. Oregon/N. Calif., or happy to assist riders passing through the area.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

WoodRat is right. I'll only add that at 20,000 miles, it's just getting broken in. Other than needing to lube everything that moves you should be good to go for many years.

Last edited by bobbyvstrom; 06-01-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: made wording more understandable.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Unless you really need more power I would stick with your 650. Put 4 pot calipers on it and get the suspension worked on and it will be much better than a 1st generation VEE.

If considering the VEE be aware of charging issues with migrating magnets. Read this thread: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...uestion-s.html

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #5 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If all your gaining is luggage, it's not a good deal. You can accomplish usable luggage for a few hundred bucks for the 650.
For instance I've seen stock luggage frames for a bit more than $100. there are many pelican like boxes for less than $100 each.
If the 650 isn't fast enough, maybe you need to downshift before accelerating?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I trust that you have already read https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...uestion-s.html (post #10). There are more to read, like: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...ng-issues.html and https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...ng-issues.html
Not all suffer from these complaints, but once setup correctly the Gen 1 Vee is a great. The only thing to keep an eye out for, has been posted by blaustrom in post #4.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

From a practical standpoint, if you're happy with your Wee, it'd be easier to add luggage to a bike you've already set up for yourself.

The biggest, and most common, issue with the Vee has already been mentioned - magnets shifting. The fix is easy however.

With respect to gas gauge, the electric pump has been known to cause issue on some bikes. This is due to the integral filter that over time becomes clogged necessitating replacing with a new unit, or bypassing the stock filter and installing an aftermarket filter in the gas line external to the tank (Wee might (probably?) have the same set-up, so this might be something to deal with regardless). I've got over a 100K on mine, and haven't had an issue so I think it's more an issue of getting clean gas.

Since you're posting in the Vee forum though, I'd be remiss if I didn't say buy it; it's a great bike.

'03 V
False motivation is better than no motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode