Potential Charging Issue(s) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By nicmartim
  • 1 Post By RLBranson
  • 1 Post By nicmartim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Potential Charging Issue(s)

So, with the weather finally getting nice enough around here to ride a bit I have begun piling the miles on the 05 DL. I have noticed on my cheapy volt meter mounted in the AdvTech dash that at cruise I usually get around 13.9 to 14.2. Prior to start up I have 11.8 and at a cold idle i get 14.2 to 14.5 every day. Now, when warm at a stop light I notice it drops down to around 12.9. If i let off the brake it climbs back up to 13.9-14.3. If the cooling fan kicks on at a stop light then it drops way back down again. I have found that if i cut one headlight while in town it stays around 14v. My voltmeter is connected to the heated grip connector and thus far the only added electrical doohickey are my LED driving lights. I have them run through the EB PC8 and installed the headlight relay kit from EB as well.

During the off-season I checked my magnets and they are still firmly stuck in place and evenly spaced. I have a brand new battery that I am going to put in it this weekend and ride it to see if that helps. Electrical troubleshooting is not my forte but not afraid to dig in.
DesertBike likes this.

2005 DL1000, 25k
2009 Harley Road King 45k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Your readings seem fairly typical to me. There seems to be not much excess capacity indicated by the V drop when applying the brakes. Your bike has dual brake light bulbs, so they draw a fair amount of current.

I would just keep watching the readings and as long as they stay where they are now not worry about it. If they fade away especially when the engine is hot there may be trouble coming.

If you want to run heated grips and a heated jacket you may need to unplug one of the headlights or install a cutoff switch to release 55W more power for your heated gear.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put in LED headlights and LED tail/stoplights. don't know what the amp draw and thus voltage is exactly but it has to be quite a bit lower than stock. relays won't reduce the amp draw in fact they will slightly increase it but they are a lot easier on switches and wiring. If your voltage doesn't go below 12v and climbs well above it when the engine is running, you are fine.
DesertBike likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicmartim View Post
So, with the weather finally getting nice enough around here to ride a bit I have begun piling the miles on the 05 DL. I have noticed on my cheapy volt meter mounted in the AdvTech dash that at cruise I usually get around 13.9 to 14.2. Prior to start up I have 11.8 and at a cold idle i get 14.2 to 14.5 every day. Now, when warm at a stop light I notice it drops down to around 12.9. If i let off the brake it climbs back up to 13.9-14.3. If the cooling fan kicks on at a stop light then it drops way back down again. I have found that if i cut one headlight while in town it stays around 14v. My voltmeter is connected to the heated grip connector and thus far the only added electrical doohickey are my LED driving lights. I have them run through the EB PC8 and installed the headlight relay kit from EB as well.

During the off-season I checked my magnets and they are still firmly stuck in place and evenly spaced. I have a brand new battery that I am going to put in it this weekend and ride it to see if that helps. Electrical troubleshooting is not my forte but not afraid to dig in.
Good for you for buying the voltmeter!

I would not buy a battery until this is figured out. Yes, you inspected your magnets over the winter. But I would tell you that my suspicion is exactly that, the magnets! Your description of symptoms is more of a magnet issue than just a stator, although that does not mean I am ruling out the stator.

I would want to know what your "cruise" voltage is now with engine hot and at speed like it would have been when you mentioned it in the post and I highlighted. With the same accessories on, nothing unplugged. If that is down from normal, I would pull the magneto cover right away and make certain ALL gaps between the magnets are about 1/4".

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 03:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1 on the voltmeter. A sticky on the stator magnets that may be of assistance, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...-pictures.html.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
hmm

OP, you've brought up an interesting question. I have a hunch that you do have a charging problem - albeit, one that you still have time to address before anything seriously bad happens.

That said, I'll have to do some testing with a multimeter to be sure. I use a Signal Dynamics voltage monitor LED. It thinks everything is fine as long as the system voltage is between 12.9V and 15.1V, so I wouldn't necessarily know it if simply activating the brake lights took my system down to 12.9V.

FWIW note that I have a 2007 Vee which ordinarily should not be that different from your 2005 Vee - but there are caveats. I upgraded to an SH847 regulator/rectifier, and had my stator rebuilt by Custom Rewind. Overall electrical capacity should be about the same, as there's no free lunch, but exact voltage threshholds may differ.

2007 Vee
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Did some testing after the ride home (so bike's fully warmed-up).

OP, I'm afraid you have a problem. My charging voltage hovers around 14.4-14.5V with just base load. Putting on the brakes has zero effect on the voltage.

That's just what I expected. I shouldn't see a notable voltage dip until I've overwhelmed the ability of the charging system to deliver power. You should not run out of excess power simply from switching the tail lights from running light mode (ca. 8W per bulb) to brake light mode (ca. 26W per bulb). That is only about a 40W increase, where you should have about 100W to play with at idle.

Before you bust open the stator cover yet again, though, test stator output as described in the service manual. Then we can suggest further steps. For example, it's possible you have a bad regulator/rectifier.

2007 Vee
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@realshelby my highway cruise voltage with both headlights on is 13.9 to 14.1. Doesn't really drop if I turn on my Aux lights, but they are LED so I wouldn't expect it to. I hope to test out the stator according to the manual this week. I'll update with those results probably Tuesday.

Been pricing a stator online and wow they are pricey. Probably wouldn't gamble with an off-brand but the OEM is around $300. Yikes.

Attached (hopefully) is a shot I took of the magnets 600 miles ago. None were able to be moved at all by hand and I didn't want to wrench too hard as to not break the adhesive that is there. I didn't measure the gaps, but they all appear to be pretty close.

Edit to add: Pre-start voltage according to the same voltmeter is usually 11.6 to 11.9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181111_144042-1_1559511694730.jpg (468.3 KB, 4 views)
DesertBike likes this.

2005 DL1000, 25k
2009 Harley Road King 45k

Last edited by nicmartim; 06-02-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, the magnets look fine in that pic.

But that was 600 miles ago. I don't know how quickly these can come loose and migrate together. But having the voltmeter might have caught this early. Or it could still just be the stator. Assuming your voltages are not what they used to be and sometimes seem to be too low.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
OEM stator is expensive and garbage. I had one burn itself up within 7 months, and that was AFTER I fixed my rotor magnets and upgraded my R/R to an SH847.

So don't waste your money. If your stator is in fact burning itself (common problem sadly), you can have it rebuilt by Custom Rewind for far less than the cost of a new stator. They are a small shop in Birmingham, Alabama. I had them rebuild my stator in late 2017 & it was not only much cheaper than a new stator, but has lasted longer.

However, I haven't checked in over a year, so I don't know whether CR are still in business. They don't have a website, but their number is (205) 798-7282.

2007 Vee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode