Need Engine Timing Help Please - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Need Engine Timing Help Please

-- Moved to my build thread as not to duplicate --

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...ml#post5393181

Last edited by Kaine Beedenbender; 05-21-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Half a tooth advanced? Have you put the chain tensioner back in yet? If not that should take that half tooth back.

'17 DL650A -bike # 30 something-
'91 Yamaha SR313 Tracker
'97 BMW F650 "Die Haifisch"
'19 Indian FTR 1200S -S for stupid grin inducing!

D.A.S.C for life!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Those engraved marks drive me crazy. They never sit quite perfectly in line with the head (as you say a half tooth out).

That, in my experience, is normal, and always causes me to hold my breath when I first fire it up after reassembly.

But I'm not a mechanic and have only done the valve check a few times. Maybe it gets less crazy-making with experience.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullaha View Post
Half a tooth advanced? Have you put the chain tensionor back in yet? If not that should take that half tooth back.
Never took it out, the only thing removed were the cams, i just could not get all the lines to line up after double checking.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Those engraved marks drive me crazy. They never sit quite perfectly in line with the head (as you say a half tooth out).

That, in my experience, is normal, and always causes me to hold my breath when I first fire it up after reassembly.

But I'm not a mechanic and have only done the valve check a few times. Maybe it gets less crazy-making with experience.
Whew, glad its not only me. I just spent a while testing with both heads. If i align the center cam gear marks with the head castings the cams go in perfect and lines are all level, but the flywheel is off.

If i set by flywheel mark first, the center cam gear is 1/2 a tooth off and nothing up top aligns properly. Close but the cam lines are tilted in respect to the head. What the [email protected]#$ Suzuki!

And... even worse to try and correct this i would need to drop the engine out as you cant get to the rear bolt on the head that secures the cam gear.

Question: So do install the cams level at the head or FT mark and have them slightly off?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine Beedenbender View Post
Whew, glad its not only me. I just spent a while testing with both heads. If i align the center cam gear marks with the head castings the cams go in perfect and lines are all level, but the flywheel is off.

If i set by flywheel mark first, the center cam gear is 1/2 a tooth off and nothing up top aligns properly. Close but the cam lines are tilted in respect to the head. What the [email protected]#$ Suzuki!

And... even worse to try and correct this i would need to drop the engine out as you cant get to the rear bolt on the head that secures the cam gear.

Question: So do install the cams level at the head or FT mark and have them slightly off?
Well, with the F/T mark lined up, I set the cams as close as possible to the desired position. It's not really a half tooth out, more like a third, so your options are 1/3 out in one direction or 2/3 out in the other. I always go with the 1/3 (closer) option and haven't gone wrong yet. But it's the kind of thing you do so infrequently that you always second-guess yourself.

What I'm getting at is that those markings are approximate. I wouldn't stress any more over it. I mean, the thing ran when you got it, right? You shouldn't be dropping the engine to fix something that worked before.

And as far as clearance measurement, that 1/3 tooth rotation isn't going to have any measurable impact, I don't think.

Are you looking at a service manual? If the answer is negatory, check your inbox for a PM.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Another thing to note is that the cams rotate slightly (due to the way they contact the center sprocket), when you install the cam journal holders. These slightly press the cams into the cylinder head, displacing any assembly oil you put in there. So if your cam marks were perfectly level when you put them back, they are now half a tooth off.

You need to compensate for this so that the marks are level after you have installed and torqued up the cam journal holders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode