Adjusting screw on TPS - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By larolco
  • 1 Post By bwringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Adjusting screw on TPS

So today I decide I'm finally going to try to adjust the TPS on a 2007 DL 1000. I get the bike warmed up and put it in dealer mode. The bar is in the center position at idle and moves to the top position at 4000 RPM. So I remove some of the side fairing to get to the TPS. I see it in there with the slot for the screw adjustment. I use a T-20 bit with no luck. I look closer and it looks like an Allen head screw. I'm thinking someone changed the screw out in the past. I try an Allen wrench, and then another. No luck. So I get one I know is quite a bit smaller to check the hole in the screw. There basically isn't one! It's like the head has been filled in so you can't adjust it. Has anyone heard of this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's a torx security screw; there's a little nubbin in the center to keep normal torx tools out.

You need a torx security bit with the hole in the center to turn it. (I seem to recall it's T20? Not sure.)

On my bike these went immediately into the trash and were replaced with M5 allen head screws.

And there are two of them on each TPS.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 05-20-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OK, never heard of that type of bit. I read it was a T-20 bit like you would find in any cheap tool set. Thanks. Why in the world would you need a security bolt back under there?

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferl View Post
OK, never heard of that type of bit. I read it was a T-20 bit like you would find in any cheap tool set. Thanks. Why in the world would you need a security bolt back under there?
To keep you and me from messing with it.

Replacing mine is on my to-do list. I suspect it is shot (lots of surging and getting worse over time). I have one on the bench ready to go. When I tested it, the bar would rise at high rpm sometimes, low sometimes - all over the map. Now the weather's smartening up and I've got my DRZ on the road (working on that today), I can spare the Vee for a bit.
shafferl likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is mentioned in most of the TPS replacement info, but it's worth repeating: when you pull out the old one, the seal is very likely to remain stuck in the throttle body. It's a little rubber air seal around the plastic shaft of the sensor.

Make double-sure you get this out before installing the new one. Two seals stuffed in there is decidedly ungood.

This has happened many times.
Gert likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode