Shimming a hydraulic clutch? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Shimming a hydraulic clutch?

Hi friends! If my clutch actuation is too close to the handlebars (yes, bled with new fluid), can I place a small shim in the slave cylinder to move it in the lever throw? Does that sound like an awful idea? I can't come up with any other ideas to move the sweet spot further out.

Thanks in advance!!

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I don't think that's going to work. The hydraulic system is self-adjusting so the length of the pushrod assembly, and the thickness of the clutch plates doesn't matter: The lever throw will always be the same. That's why, on a DL1000, you never have to adjust the clutch when the plates wear. (The DL650 has a cable operated clutch that does require adjustment every now and then.)

The only place where you can adjust the throw of the lever is on the lever itself. You'd have to put a shim in there somewhere. You did play with the lever adjustments, didn't you?

Most people on here complain about the actuation point being too far away, so they want to adjust it inwards. If you want to adjust it outwards, didn't the previous owner already make an adjustment maybe? In that case, replacing with new OEM parts might just achieve what you want.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPacker View Post
I don't think that's going to work. The hydraulic system is self-adjusting so the length of the pushrod assembly, and the thickness of the clutch plates doesn't matter: The lever throw will always be the same. That's why, on a DL1000, you never have to adjust the clutch when the plates wear. (The DL650 has a cable operated clutch that does require adjustment every now and then.)

The only place where you can adjust the throw of the lever is on the lever itself. You'd have to put a shim in there somewhere. You did play with the lever adjustments, didn't you?

Most people on here complain about the actuation point being too far away, so they want to adjust it inwards. If you want to adjust it outwards, didn't the previous owner already make an adjustment maybe? In that case, replacing with new OEM parts might just achieve what you want.
You caught me. This is actually on my 2002 Bandit 1200 that I just picked up, but I figured the principle would be the same for any and all hydraulic clutches (and I didn't know a more appropriate forum to post the question). Played around with every setting on the lever. On the B12 it's uncomfortably close to the bar. On both my DL1000s it's been way out and I like that much better than way in. I was just thinking there might be slack between the slave cyl and the pushrod that was eating up lever travel. Alas!

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

There's a pin between the lever and the hydraulics. A longer pin will solve your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode