Clutch won't disengage - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Clutch won't disengage

I've pretty much lurked this forum so I'm not sure if this is in the right section.

So, I got stationed cross country and had to leave wee for roundabout a year.
After getting it back I did an oil and batt change and oiled up the chain, figured it would be fine.
Well, when I had it running everything was fine but I had no friction in the clutch. Kinda weird.
So I started it up and let it get warm but when I tried to get it in first it just stalled out like I have no clutch lever.

Tried rocking it in gear with motor off and tried forcing it into first but I don't have a hill to use for speed.
I figure I need to bleed the clutch but I doubt that will solve if the plates are stuck. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight or experience with this sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

A bit of an addendum to the post.
Think I said wee but I've got an 07 DL1000
Also, I'd never tried it before so I'm not sure how much force it should take but, with the motor off and bike in first, I can push it with just a bit of force and I suppose turn the pistons a cycle. I don't imagine there's any issue with that but it strikes me as odd because I'd never been able to do that with my last bike.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 03:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

The DL1000 has a wet clutch system: The clutch plates are "lubricated" (for lack of a better word) with engine oil. If they've been sitting for a while, that oil may have caked and deteriorated somewhat. It should not be too hard though to get them to separate, but it might require a bit of force.

Here's what I would do. First, see if you have enough hydraulic fluid in the reservoir and that the fluid is still good. (Fluid should be clear, not black, and officially needs to be replaced every two years.) Then, inspect the clutch for proper functioning: Open the oil filler port and look down onto the clutch plates. Engage/disengage the clutch lever and you should see the pressure plate engaging and disengaging. It won't be much but some movement should be visible.

If that checks out, then you need to break the clutch plates free. In neutral gear, warm the engine until you have two bars showing. Then shut the bike off. Disengage clutch (pull the lever), put the bike in first or second gear, and with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled), rock the bike forward and back until the clutch plates break free. If you look through the oil filler port carefully you should now see the drive plates and the driven plates move independently of each other.

Once the clutch plates are free you might want to ride the bike a while in stop/start traffic so the clutch is used a lot. That circulates the fresh oil over your clutch plates and helps get rid of any caked oil. And then you might consider doing another oil change, although if everything works fine, I would just forget about it.

What you've done so far (Engine off, 1st gear, let go of the clutch lever, and then push the bike so the engine goes through a revolution) does nothing for the clutch plates as they are fully engaged at all times.
realshelby, Brockie and Dubldee17 like this.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Backpacker has pretty much covered this. Do make sure the clutch slave is actually moving the pressure plate a tiny bit by looking into the oil fill plug opening. Doesn't take much. If so, then it can be broken loose. I have actually had to get the bike moving, then put it in gear, then pull in the clutch and apply the throttle and rear brake to get them loose on a couple bikes.

Once loose they will be fine. These are oil bath, but actually get very little oil into/onto the discs. This can dissipate when sitting and the plates sort of glue themselves together! Not so much that the oil cakes or goes bad, but is squeezed out and off the surfaces.

If the clutch pressure plate isn't moving, you are going to need to flush and bleed the hydraulic master and slave cylinder to get it back in good operating condition. Probably a good idea anyway!
Dubldee17 likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Everything's comin down to the brake fluid in the clutch because when I was rocking it I did have the clutch pulled and it was going straight to engine and when I look into the filler cap theres no movement or response whatsoever.
I'm waiting on some JIS drivers for the reservoir cap to show up from Amazon because theres nowhere to find them out here and I'd prefer not to strip the screws.
Already dealt with that on the clutch for my old kawi 454.
I guess after the fluid change I'll see if the plates are stuck too, because that's relatively likely.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great that you now know what the problem is. Bleed the air out of that clutch.
Just be sure to check that the slave cylinder is not leaking fluid.
Dubldee17 likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #7 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I think it is still likely that your clutch plates are just stuck together by the oil film as realshelby said. If the clutch lever feels normal, that is, it has a small amount of free play followed by spring tension, the fluid sector is probably working properly. If the lever goes fully to the grip with no real resistance, its a hydraulic issue. If the plates are stuck you may not be able to see movement in the hole as only the throwout is moving.

BackPacker's procedure should work if it's just stuck. I've always had best success by holding the clutch in and pushing the bike backwards in gear with the engine stopped. It may take quite a push. It seems less likely to try to turn the engine in "reverse".

If, however, the lever collapses to the grip, Brockie has the answer. Hope this is somewhat helpful. DD
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Your plates are likely to be stuck together but you would still have a clutch leaver, no pressure at the leaver is your first problem.

If the plates are stuck well and good with the motor running and the "leaver pulled to the grip" give the bike a bit of a push to get it rolling then select first gear.

Get some momentum up then stand on the rear brakes, with the motor moving one way and the sudden stop of the counter shaft sprocket things should break loose.

You may need to do it a few times and if you release the brake in time the bike will not stall.

I have a number of farm bikes that require that treatment every time they come out of the shed.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Plates stuck....or not....you will see the pressure plate move when pulling in the clutch lever. Unless of course there is a problem with the master/slave cylinder. It shouldn't take all that much to break the plates loose. So, my "guess" is the hydraulic system isn't quite right and not allowing full release or possibly not applying pressure to the pushrod to operate the clutch at all.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Unless of course there is a problem with the master/slave cylinder.
This never happens...

To the OP: To break the reservoir screws loose (the fact they are stuck suggests it's been a while since the reservoir has been opened up), just tap the screwdriver (one that fits well) with a hammer. You won't break anything if you're sensible about it.

How much fluid is showing in the reservoir?

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode