Looks like oil consumption is normal, but..... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Looks like oil consumption is normal, but.....

I went for a 180 mile trip today and I stopped (130 miles into the trip) to top off fuel before i got into the city.(gas prices) when i went to leave the gas station, my vee would start then die immediately. I pushed it over to the shade and started looking at the basics, first being oil level. To my surprise the glass was empty. I will admit i got a little over zealous and put in an quart. But luckily it was just over the high line. Then it ran just fine. Could this be a major issue?

The details:
06 DL1000 with 28k miles
No smoke on start up and i dont see any clouds behind me as im driving.
Geared 16/43
>70% was at 4,000 rpm with some slower areas
85- 90degree weather
Panniers fully loaded no extra bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 AM
$tromtrooper

You shouldn't be burning any oil whatsoever. My exactly-the-same-as-your-bike has 200000 kms on it and I have never had to top up oil.

If you need to top up oil, the engine has a problem.

But back to the original point, your stalling engine problem is not likely related to oil.

A couple questions:

Was the bike level when you checked the oil level? And when did you last check the oil level? A quart is a massive amount.

How long have you owned this bike? Do you know its maintenance history?

What's your idle rpm set to? (should be around 1200 or so rpm). If low, turn it up a bit with the adjust screw on left side of the bike.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #3 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm concerned that:
a) you had your bike on sidestand rather than vertical
b) you didn't wait long enough for the oil to settle

Check your bike cold, level and by owners manual.

I'd be worried about blowing seals on big revs, but an oil change will solve all.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thank you, i did check it initially “level” by pulling on the bike upright. Of course it was not cold due to riding all day. However, the 10 minutes it took to go into the station and get oil, eat a snack and hunt down a funnel should have been enough time for it to “settle” imo. The bikes oil capacity is 2700ml and a quart is just under 1000 ml. While it was a little over full, i was not coming out of the fill hole. I do downshift and run higher rpms when over taking traffic. But i am aware enough not to push too high, I usually up shift or slow down by 8000 rpm.

Idle is actually higher than you advise. It usually idles at 1500 and frequently it idle at 2000 rpm after coming to a stop. It does come down to 1500 after a minute or so.

Trying to answer all of questions for the both of you, let me know if i missed something.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Oh, the maintenance is known for the past 10,000 miles. The owner kept everything. Prior to that is a mystery
post #6 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost.llama View Post
Thank you, i did check it initially “level” by pulling on the bike upright. Of course it was not cold due to riding all day. However, the 10 minutes it took to go into the station and get oil, eat a snack and hunt down a funnel should have been enough time for it to “settle” imo. The bikes oil capacity is 2700ml and a quart is just under 1000 ml. While it was a little over full, i was not coming out of the fill hole. I do downshift and run higher rpms when over taking traffic. But i am aware enough not to push too high, I usually up shift or slow down by 8000 rpm.

Idle is actually higher than you advise. It usually idles at 1500 and frequently it idle at 2000 rpm after coming to a stop. It does come down to 1500 after a minute or so.

Trying to answer all of questions for the both of you, let me know if i missed something.
You have a hanging idle situation because the idle is set too high and/or you need to synchronize the throttle bodies and readjust the idle. Turn the idle speed down to 1300 and see what happens.

This still has nothing to do with the oil use which is worrisome, IMO. BTW, you can be way overfull without it reaching the fill hole, which is significantly higher up than the sight glass.

DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 16 Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Also make sure your throttle cables are adjusted properly, and that the throttle returns all the way to the stops when you let go of it. If the throttle hangs, it may seem to idle much faster than normal but that's really not "idling". And I agree, even 1500 RPM is too high.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Return trip follow up: took the same route back with no issues. No oil loss or stalling on start up.....possible gremlin?
post #9 of 16 Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

The TBs were synced about 5k miles ago, according to the dealer receipts.... would it need syncing again?
post #10 of 16 Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost.llama View Post
Return trip follow up: took the same route back with no issues. No oil loss or stalling on start up.....possible gremlin?
Maybe the oil wasn't full to begin with? Perhaps you had a leak?

As for the TBS, if it was done properly it likely doesn't need another yet. But it is a procedure that is easy to do incorrectly and that can cause a hanging idle situation. When doing the procedure, follow the service manual or a reputable online tutorial.

DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode