Blackstone Oil analysis - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

9Likes
  • 4 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 3 Post By Axeman
  • 2 Post By xrcris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Blackstone Oil analysis

I sent an oil sample to Blackstone from my recent oil change at 43,3XX miles on a 2009 DL1000 and 4100 miles on the oil. This is the first analysis so it is the "baseline" for this bike.

All looked good though they noted the cooper was a little on the high side but didn't think it was a problem and will have to keep an eye on it in future analysis. their guess is the contaminant is from a bronze/cooper bushing (?)

Can anyone tell me what component(s) in the 1000 engine might be made of this material?

Thanks

K9 Vee
Farkles: SW-Motech bash plate and center stand; PCV; RR-Peg lowering kit, mirror extenders, Rear axle shim kit, GPS Mount; Super Brace; National V-Stream wind screen; 17/43 Sprockets; Ivans TRE; TouraTech 35L panniers; Givi 52L top case; LeoVince SBK exhaust; Corbin seat, Rox risers, Gailer SS clutch and brake lines; Madstad bracket; Grip Puppies; Cramp Buster; Werks clutch basket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Clutch plates.

At 43K your moto is just about 1/2 way to being broken in and about 1/8th of the way through its service life. Personally i would not spend additional money on more oil analysis. Change the oil every 3 to 5 thousand miles and ride. Use the oil analysis money to buy gas. You'll get tired of the bike long before the motor gives up the ghost.
Big B, V-Tom, Lrobby99 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Clutch plates.

At 43K your moto is just about 1/2 way to being broken in and about 1/8th of the way through its service life. Personally i would not spend additional money on more oil analysis. Change the oil every 3 to 5 thousand miles and ride. Use the oil analysis money to buy gas. You'll get tired of the bike long before the motor gives up the ghost.
Not really worried about it just curious on which internals might contain the cooper. Yes it is relatively low milage for the age but then again I have ridden it in 21 countries so far, just so happens most were rather small compared to the U.S.

Love this bike, told the wife to bury it with me when the time comes.
DesertBike, Fynlcut and Hatchi like this.

K9 Vee
Farkles: SW-Motech bash plate and center stand; PCV; RR-Peg lowering kit, mirror extenders, Rear axle shim kit, GPS Mount; Super Brace; National V-Stream wind screen; 17/43 Sprockets; Ivans TRE; TouraTech 35L panniers; Givi 52L top case; LeoVince SBK exhaust; Corbin seat, Rox risers, Gailer SS clutch and brake lines; Madstad bracket; Grip Puppies; Cramp Buster; Werks clutch basket

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

How high was the Cu? Universal avg was 6 in my last test.

My initial oil analysis showed high Si (at 35K when I got the bike) which made sense since the guy I bought it from used it like a big dirtbike to bomb fire roads and it had a stock filter (along with higher than avg FE and AL from the crappy filter). Subsequent tests showed normal Si, but long story short, that engine made it to about 90K before it let go (still haven't torn into it to see what failed). It was replaced with one from a wrecked '05 with 32K miles and the frame/roller just rolled over 100K last week.

While most V's will run past 100K without issues, oil analysis is a pretty good, and inexpensive, way to keep tabs on YOUR engine.
realshelby and Rigid like this.

'03 V
False motivation is better than no motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode