From FJR to DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

From FJR to DL1000

ok, I have an 06 FJR.
I am looking at selling it and buying a Vstrom around the same age. 04-08?
I need to more upright position, and I live on 3 miles of gravel roads....sooooooo an FJR isnt the best for that.

1...any years better or worse for any particular issues?

2...Is there a link to a "what to look for when buying a used Vstrom" post?

3...my fear about this is.....I ride 250-400 miles regularly and I do 2000 miles in 5 or 6 days a couple of times a year...How is the Vstrom really as an on the road touring bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Get a 2014+ DL1000. They are much better than the first generation VEE.

There are no real "issues" with this generation. Just use common sense you would use for any used bike purchase. No problem to get a well maintained one with 20k or even more, depending on how many miles per year you are riding. There was a first gen VEE with +400k on the original engine, so mileage is not an issue, if the bike is being maintained.

I have done 7k-8k trips on both my 2004 WEE as well as my 2014 V2. The V2 is more relaxed on long haul slabbing (getting through the plains to the rockies). Wind management is key to being comfortable. I (and many others) like the GIVI Airflow screen. It takes care of any buffeting issues for most riders.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 19 Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yup get at least a 14 1000.......just browse around enough here in this section, it will likely scare you away from the first generation. LMAO
branthopolis likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Saw your post on the FJR forums (I have a gen 1 also). My initial thought was the guy needs a V-Strom. I have a 2007 650 with over 100k miles on it, all but 700 mine. There have been improvements over the years, and certainly on the 1000 as well. You really can't go wrong. I've thought about moving on to a newer generation, but every time I get on it, I am reminded it's my favorite bike in the stable.

Rob

Ride every day, it's good for you.
07 650A | KLR250(x2) | KLR650 | DRZ400 | FJR
post #5 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Well, I would LIKE to get a 2014 or newer....but if I had the money for that, I would probably get a 2014 or newer Super Tenere (for the cruise control...haha)
That said...With what I will get out of my bike....I am looking at a purchase price of $3-4000.

Soooo....that said....should I just keep the FJR another year or two??
post #6 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You can probably score a reasonably well equipped 2012+ 650 for your funds. Ride it for a couple of years. If you are missing the power of the liter engine, then upgrade to a 2014+ V2. The 650 will easily do 500 mile days. You may need to sort out seat and wind management to your taste.

One example close to your target price, good farkles:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/42...ge-garmin.html
Big B likes this.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 05-11-2019 at 01:13 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Other way

Bought an '04 FJR last year. And didn't ride the Vee much after that. Admittedly, my Vee is an '02. I expect later gens have better features and performance.

Yes, the FJR requires better hip and knee flexibility, especially if you're tall (like me), compared to the relaxed riding stance on the Vee. And the FJR is a little heavier.

But the ride is pretty comparable, although better controlled on the FJR. The Vee feels less connected, for want of a better word. The Vee handles like my pickup, the FJR like my Porsche. The FJR's power and brakes are better, the engine is smoother and less fussy about where it is in the rev band, the shaft drive is nice, and the electrically adjustable windshield, which I figured was a gimmick, actually works well and gets used regularly. It feels far more solid in corners. And what appears to be a stock seat on the FJR is more comfortable, for me, than a modded Vee seat. I got the OEM shield and a larger aftermarket shield with the FJR, which can be swapped in a matter of a couple of minutes with one tool, so easy to convert from cold to warm weather. Had a couple of instances of getting up well into triple digit speeds on the FJR, and it seemed perfectly happy there, where the Vee seems a little nervous.

I'm sure the later Vee's have better wind control than the earlier years, and can be modded for a tauter suspension, better brakes, and better seats.

If I had to do many gravel or dirt roads, I'd rather ride the Vee, no question. But for eating up lots of pavement, I like the FJR.

Last edited by Jimding; 05-11-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2014 FJR that I have put 50,000 miles on. Traded in a 2009 FJR that I put 43,000 miles on. I just added a 2018 used Vee 1000 a few months ago. This is my opinion comparing the two: The FJR is a more cramped sporty riding position. You definitely feel the difference in weight when compared to the Vee. I will not ride rough back roads on the FJR , it kills my back. I love the FJR for trips. It has power and wind protection the Vee doesn't. It also has electronic cruise control the Vee should have. I have not taken the Vee out for more than a 300 mile day yet. I like the 14 and up Vee models because of the interchangeable factory side cases and mounts that I have added. I don't know what years have it, but I am fond of traction control and would not be without abs. The riding position on the Vee is much more upright without risers or the pegs being lowered. The Vee swallows up bumps on the back roads. This was one of the reasons for this addition and it has not let me down. I had to replace the peg feelers on my fjr because they were ground razor sharp and cutting my riding pants, but it is a handful to push hard in the corners. I only added this to illustrate for a big bike it does handle and my new feelers are barely scared over the last 10,000 miles . It does handle well but I tell my friends it is a wrestling match on tight left and right corners. The Roadsmart 3's made a huge improvement. My Vee came with lowering plates I removed after less than 1000 miles. The pegs touched too soon. I find the lighter weight of the Vee makes a very competent handling motorcycle. I am running Anakees and find I can ride as hard as I care too with no surprises. I have not ridden it enough to add detail, so I am sure there is more to learn on the handling characteristics. The Vee is a little tall, but that works for me. As for vibration the FJR can be buzzy over 4200 RPM, but I am slowing down and don't notice too much. The Vee has a unique vibration that settles at 4000 rpm, but under that rpm just does not bother me. The FJR has a larger fuel tank and may get a little better mileage, not completely sure yet on mileage. That depends a lot on conditions. I cannot wait to take the Vee on a longer trip, but for now that is why I still have the FJR. Oh, I have put about 2500 miles on the Vee and love it. I am sure it is a keeper. I don't know if it replaces the FJR or just a stable mate. A FJR with 50,000 miles is not worth that much, so it is probable a keeper too. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

A differing opinion: My Vee is an '06 model. There is certainly no lack of power and while I have made performance mods to it, it wasn't a slug to begin with. The 1000s are much more powerful than the 650s, if that's a factor for you. Perhaps not up to par with the FJR, but it will certainly get out of it's own way. I came from a FJ 1200. With the weight difference, there wasn't much performance lost when I moved to the Vee. It is SO COMFORTABLE compared to the old FJ and even the FJR I test rode last summer. I ride with my wife quite a bit and the FJR was very cramped for her legs. The Vee I can ride (and have) 16 hours a day. I'm 74, so my wrists and hands give out from the clutch and throttle but the rest of me is fine, even with the stock gel seat that so many complain about. If you get an early model, and it hasn't had the ECU reflashed or has had a Power Commander added, it will run very lean at low RPM and it's a pain. The fix costs a couple hundred dollars and then you have a great running bike. If you want to make it faster than the new ones, you can but certainly not necessary. A Vee or Wee will corner with an FJR. Not with a sport bike. I have about 50,000 miles on mine. 60,000 total. I bought it used. I love the old thing and have had nearly zero problems that were not of my own making:-). My rotor magnets did come loose. I installed Richland Rick's rear wheel spacers and put on a fork brace. No wobble up to 135 mph even under hard braking. The biggest negative factor is riding in crosswinds. It gets pushed around a lot. The newer ones may be better and reportedly have less buffeting. My 2 cents worth.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvstrom View Post
A Vee or Wee will corner with an FJR.
Not when I'm riding them. Not that I claim to be a great rider. Actually, much the opposite. The Vee seems kinda vague, and a little bit stressed, when cornering hard. Very likely a fork brace and upgraded suspension would help that somewhat, but I think the flexy frame has something to do with it as well. I expect a very accomplished rider on a Vee could hang with my FJR in corners. But the FJR does it pretty effortlessly. I find myself going much faster (and leaning much farther) on the FJR when riding my usual routes. It doesn't seem as nervous about making sudden control inputs either, such as swerving to avoid a pothole. Possibly the absolute limits are quite similar. I just find the limits more approachable on the FJR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode