It's gone -- all gone - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Yarz1
  • 4 Post By Charlie1982
  • 1 Post By richlandrick
  • 1 Post By farokh
  • 1 Post By Yarz1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It's gone -- all gone

I suited up, rolled the bike out (08 DL1000), turned the ignition on, pulled the clutch..... and... oh no. The clutch lever pulled in with no resistance. I put my work clothes on and opened up the clutch reservoir as well as uncovered the front chain sprocket where the clutch slave is. There was NO fluid in the reservoir and very little in the line. However, there is NO evidence of leakage. Nothing on the garage floor (rode it 2 weeks ago for 13 hours one day and parked it). No leaked fluids on the engine. No leaked fluids anywhere suggesting that the system has a problem. No evidence of fluid leaks leaving trails on any parts of the engine where one would suspect to see them if the slave was leaking. And the reservoir was dry on the outside, as was the clutch line carrying the fluid from reservoir to slave. I'm puzzled as to where the fluid went to.

Any thoughts on what happened to the fluid?

I bought some new DOT 4 non-silicone based brake fluid and refilled the clutch system. The clutch slave looks to be in great shape (I rebuilt it some years ago -- likely 25-30,000 miles ago) I cleaned every surface and put everything back together. I bled all of the air out of the line. Wow, the clutch lever feels great now. Plans include riding in the morning. But I'm left wondering what happened to the fluid.
Lrobby99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

My guess is a piece of grit in the slave let it out somehow. Grit now gone. Mystery that there is none evident on the engine. I would be watching this closely so you do not loose the clutch away from home.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #3 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Well, it was probably low to begin with when you parked it and there isn't much in the system even when it is full.

I suppose it is possible it could leak without your noticing. Perhaps the chain might even fling it away...

Sometimes the piston gets cocked a little sideways, especially if the cylinder has been honed, and drip, drip, drip goes your fluid. Mine likes to run down the kickstand.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17

post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Look for signs of paint bubbling and/or flaking off of different areas. Brake fluid is a pretty effective paint stripper.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Do let us know if you ever figure out where the fluid went. With the bike sitting for 2 weeks, that fluid should have shown up somewhere. If it hit anything painted, you should know by now.

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
post #6 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Do you have a mortal enemy who may have mistook the clutch master cylinder for the brake master cylinder? Possibly a large insurance policy taken out recently?
DesertBike likes this.

Last edited by richlandrick; 05-07-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

On a stock Gen1 DL1000 there's a gasket in the sprocket area which protrudes from the bottom and forms a sort of dam. If the fluid leaks out of the slave cylinder (most plausible scenario I think) it might be held back by this dam, and not fall on the garage floor: The drain hole is on the other side of this dam.

That dam won't be able to hold back much, but if your fluid level was low to begin with it might just be an explanation.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Do you have a mortal enemy who may have mistook the clutch master cylinder for the brake master cylinder? Possibly a large insurance policy taken out recently?
This thought crossed my mind as well.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie1982 View Post
Look for signs of paint bubbling and/or flaking off of different areas. Brake fluid is a pretty effective paint stripper.
It will also (literally) eat ABS (and other) plastic (a friend of mine with a Cavalcade found out the hard way when he overflowed the brake reservoir while replacing the pads).
DesertBike likes this.

Current ride: 2017 DL650. Previous Rides (all Suzuki except last): 1993 VX800; 1987 Cavalcade LXE;
1986 Cavalcade LX; 1983 GS850G; 1982 GS850G; 1974 GT550; 1972 Yamaha DS7
IBA Saddle Sore 1000
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

LOL. My mortal enemies (yeah, plural) would have simply cut the line rather than taken all the time necessary to syphon the reservoir and do it neatly.

And no, no blistered paint anywhere. No trails of leaking fluid anywhere.

Even the dirt inside of the plastic cover that you have to take off to see the front chain sprocket was not wet from a seeping slave cylinder. In fact, the dirt on the inside of the cover was neatly piled up in line with the chain.

Everything is cleaned and put back together. Clutch works fine. It's simply a mystery to me as to where the fluid would have gone.

I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on it, OR, just don't let it sit in the garage for 2 weeks without riding it.
DesertBike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode