Can spark plug boots be reattached? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By dmfdmf
  • 1 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Question Can spark plug boots be reattached?

Short version - the boot part of the wire to the front plug came off, can I "plug" it back in? It looks broken off.

Long Version:

Bike is 2008 DL1000.

I got the front cylinder plug out (#5). I could not get the new plug in (#6). Looking at the tops, I thought that the hourglass shaped top on the new plug, must also have been on the old one, and somehow twisted off inside the boot (#1).

So, I ended up using a screw extractor, and out came parts 2, 3, 4.

In the process of moving the boot around behind the rad, it too became disconnected...or is it broken off...it looks like the wire it came off has no obvious connector.

Is this fixable? If so, anyone know the sequence of the white cylinder and the spring back into the boot..they just spilled out on to the driveway :-(

Or do I need a new boot & wire assembly?

I assume the hourglass shaped too on the new plug can unscrew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug woes.jpg (483.0 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie View Post
I got the front cylinder plug out (#5). I could not get the new plug in (#6). Looking at the tops, I thought that the hourglass shaped top on the new plug, must also have been on the old one, and somehow twisted off inside the boot (#1).
Unfortunately it was the reverse. The hourglass shape needed to be removed from the new plug.

Quote:
So, I ended up using a screw extractor, and out came parts 2, 3, 4. In the process of moving the boot around behind the rad, it too became
disconnected...or is it broken off...it looks like the wire it came off has no obvious connector.
I think the wire can just be pushed back in. It engages with a barbed spear that contacts the center conductor of the wire. I would dab the wire insulator with some gasket sealant or similar to make sure it does not come loose down the road.

Quote:
Is this fixable? If so, anyone know the sequence of the white cylinder and the spring back into the boot..they just spilled out on to the driveway :-( Or do I need a new boot & wire assembly? I assume the hourglass shaped too on the new plug can unscrew.
I have no idea what order those parts from the boot are installed. However, you could carefully disassemble the spark plug boot for the easily accessible rear spark plug boot. Just be careful, take your time and note what parts come out in what order and use that info to reassemble the front boot.
Gingie likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #3 of 3 Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
This is fixable.

Some spark plugs need the "hourglass shaped top" and others do not. Your bike does not. Screw it off the plug.

Below is an image of the internals of a similar plug cap. Your part #2 is a resistor to prevent electrical interference. To confirm the order of installation check if either the spring, or the resistor fit most neatly against the upper surface of the brass retainer that holds it all in. Electrically, it does not matter which part goes in first but the internal dimensions of the cap probably dictate the correct assembly.

Deep in the top end of the cap will be a wooden screw type thread onto which the cap is screwed. Hold the wire and screw the cap on. Do not over-tighten. A sure coupling is all that is required. As the wire was wrenched off the end of it may no longer be secure and it may be necessary to chop off the end 3/8" of the wire to get a good connection. I believe that modern HT leads (the wire) no longer have copper wire in them and these days have a fiberglass core infused with carbon to relay the spark plug charge.
I've never looked.

Take your time. It will go back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ngk-phenolic-resin-spark-plug-cap.jpg (20.1 KB, 23 views)
Gingie likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode