-- 03 DL1000 Build Thread -- - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

-- Please Delete --

... Please Delete ...

Last edited by Kaine Beedenbender; 05-30-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like this will be interesting to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 DL650A
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I pay $85 for unbroken clutch baskets! If you have no need for your old one, I can sure use it.
notacop likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 21 Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 PM
$tromtrooper

That bike will be as good as new when you're done.

You've already addressed the main problems folks encounter with this bike.

The rear cushion rubbers don't last long. I replaced mine once and since have just shimmed with chunks of inner tube.
Kaine Beedenbender likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #5 of 21 Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Appreciate the post and pics. I'll likely be mirroring your efforts in the very near future.

Money cant buy happiness. A motorcycle it can however, which is basically the same thing.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-12-2019, 01:48 AM
$tromtrooper

It's comin' along.

Have a look at the area where the clutch slave cylinder mounts. There is often a protruding bit of gasket that keeps crap from draining properly from the area. Trim that away and any water/chain-fling debris has a chance of clearing itself out of there. (Premature slave failure due to chain fling contamination is not uncommon on these bikes.) I have also drilled a second drain hole to the outside of that gasket and nearer the slave assembly which seems to have helped.

Have you looked at the swingarm, rear shock bearings? Given the general state of the bike, they may need attention. Suzuki seems to be quite frugal with bearing grease.

DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 21 Old 05-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Keep Up The Great Work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #8 of 21 Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The first and second gear shift clunk may be an easy and relatively cheap fix. There is a lot of good information on the subject. I have it linked here.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/dl1000...-exchange.html

Check your rear sprocket for uneven wear. But all DL1000s of that period had the problem.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine Beedenbender View Post
Do you mean this one featured in the pic? I thought this was a terrible gasket design, and i would have to pop the cover back off to cut it, so not sure i want to do that...

I have not addressed the suspension as of yet but i am going to. I am 6'6" and 320lbs so this bike was not exactly made for me. For longevity sake, i am going to touch all the possible service areas. Rebuilding brakes, slave cyl, reservoirs, brakes calipers, etc...
Yes, that is the offending bit of extraneous gasket. A knife will do fine. No need to take anything else apart as long as you have the sprocket cover removed. Just carve that dam away and then that lovely drain hole serves a purpose.

The problem, as I've noted elsewhere, is that the drain hole only works when the bike is upright or leaned to the right. But when you park on the sidestand, the bike is leaned to the left, which directs all kinds of chain fling debris towards the slave cylinder.

It's just not a good design for an "adventure" bike. In my opinion, there needs to be a drain hole nearer the slave. I have drilled one in the casting between the offending gasket and the slave. It clogs with chain gunk and I can easily clear it with a screwdriver without removing any pieces. Those mods cost $0 and take only minutes.

DRZ400SK17
post #10 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I know that guy in England. Many long time Stromtroopers here will remember him as well. I'll skip why he is not here on Stromtrooper and go straight to the problem.

The bearings are designed to withstand radial forces. Forces perpendicular to the axle. They are not designed to withstand strong thrust forces. Especially uneven thrust forces where one side is pushed and the other pulled.

The Gen 1 DL1000 cush rubbers, like all similar motorcycle wheel assemblies, is designed to cushion power pulses from the chain to the hub. These parts need to be held tightly between the rear sprocket drum and the wheel. However, the cush rubbers on the Gen 1 DL1000 are not held tightly between these two parts. This excessive play allows the chain's pull on the sprocket to apply uneven thrust forces on the bearing inside the sprocket drum. As the bearings wear due to these uneven thrust forces the chain starts to catch on the sides of the sprockets teeth. As the teeth catch on the chain the thrust forces on the bearings increase. As one gets worse the other does as well setting up a positive feedback loop that results in rapid bering, chain, and sprocket wear.

People learned early on that simply replacing the affected parts just lets them repeat the process and go through another chain, sprocket, bearing set, in another 7K to 11K miles.

I suggest starting a thread asking people if the spacer change fixed their problem or not. I suspect you will get many responses from people who had the problem and found it fixed afterwards, and many who installed the fix before having the problem who never experienced it because of their proactive action.

I'll check about starting a poll.

Last edited by richlandrick; 05-13-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode