Barkbusters with throttle cables under? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Barkbusters with throttle cables under?

Pretty sure I'd like some Barkbusters. Probably the Storms, 2-point mount version, so as to protect my levers from drops better than the factory plastic handguards.

For various reasons, I've had to rotate the throttle housing down on the handlebar, so that the cables go under the handguard rather than over. Is that going to be a problem?

Every picture I've found of Barkbusters installed on a DL1000 shows the throttle cables in stock (over-the-handguard) position, so I wasn't sure.
vegashotwheeler likes this.

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM
eff
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You can purchase a set of these which helps avoid cable interference:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d-bar-clamps-p

DesertBike likes this.

2007 V-Strom 650
2004 GasGas EC250
post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

what are the best handlebar protection, just dropped the vee at slow speed and lost the end of the clutch handle.
DesertBike likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also broke of the gear shifter in the process, looking to upgrade it, any thoughts
post #5 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
I don't know of any such thing as a ready-made, aftermarket shift lever for the Vee. However, I know a guy who adapted a shifter from a dirt bike to work on his Vee. I'll ask for details.

For the broken clutch lever - I feel ya. The very end of the clutch lever is designed to snap off, so as to avoid more serious damage to where the lever attaches. But you're still left with a sharp broken end. A cheap and quick fix is the Lee Parks Lever Saver:

Lever Saver

The Lever Saver is a lot less expensive than a new factory lever, and can be re-used many times if needed. Also no waiting on backordered factory parts.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
I don't know of any such thing as a ready-made, aftermarket shift lever for the Vee. However, I know a guy who adapted a shifter from a dirt bike to work on his Vee. I'll ask for details.

For the broken clutch lever - I feel ya. The very end of the clutch lever is designed to snap off, so as to avoid more serious damage to where the lever attaches. But you're still left with a sharp broken end. A cheap and quick fix is the Lee Parks Lever Saver:

Lever Saver

The Lever Saver is a lot less expensive than a new factory lever, and can be re-used many times if needed. Also no waiting on backordered factory parts.

Touratech used to sell a replacement shift lever for the DL1000 that bolted directly to the shifter, eliminating the linkage and all the slop found in the linkage. It was arse-crampingly expensive (around $75, which is just ricockulous), but I finally gave up and bought one a while back and I love it. The tip ends up in exactly the stock position (although you do lose the adjustability of the stock linkage.)

I don't see it on their site now, so it might be out of production. Perhaps you could scare up something on fleaBay eventually.

A common alternative is a DR650 shift lever, also mounted directly to the shift shaft. The problem is this is pretty long, so it places the toe at least two inches farther forward. I wear size 12 boots, and have never felt the stock lever needed to be any longer, even with heavy dual-sport boots. But I guess if you have size 17 feet, then it's just the ticket. Or you could cut and re-weld it.
DesertBike likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #7 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Vstroma sells one $49.97 when you have a broken shift lever, it's worth it.

V-Stroma.com - Suzuki V-Strom Parts and Accessories

God watches over fools and drunks
post #8 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Vstroma sells a broken shift lever. I didn't get it in the post.

God watches over fools and drunks
post #9 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
A common alternative is a DR650 shift lever, also mounted directly to the shift shaft. The problem is this is pretty long, so it places the toe at least two inches farther forward. I wear size 12 boots, and have never felt the stock lever needed to be any longer, even with heavy dual-sport boots. But I guess if you have size 17 feet, then it's just the ticket. Or you could cut and re-weld it.
I think that's more or less what the local guy did. Not sure how he has it set up - maybe he'll be kind enough to take pictures for me.

I kinda like the slop in the stock Vee shift setup. That brave little aluminum linkage rod acts as a buffer between my stupidity/bad luck and the transmission. I'm glad I only bent that rod slightly and broke off the peg at the end of the shifter, vs. tweaking something in the transmission, when one of our mountain roads did its best to kill me last fall.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid View Post
Vstroma sells one $49.97 when you have a broken shift lever, it's worth it.

V-Stroma.com - Suzuki V-Strom Parts and Accessories
Ah, the famous Studebaker Mfg. shift lever.

I'll pass. It's made of forged steel, which to me is a mistake. I think Suzuki had the right idea, making the stock foot controls out of bendable aluminum. I'd rather bend an easily-replaced lever than snap off part of the footpeg mount, or bend who knows what in the transmission, when I go down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode