V Strom 1000DL 2008 Squeaking noise - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blaustrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

V Strom 1000DL 2008 Squeaking noise

Hi all,
Noticing a squeaking noise, intermittent, mainly in the mid levels (30-35mph or 3/4 gears) Comes and goes either before or after this range. Some had said it could be a speedo cable issue (Needs lubing) but I've checked the front wheel and there's no cable that I can see anyway.

Just this morning I heard it then clutched the bike so it was rolling and the squeak went and came back once clutch was released.

Anyone on here ever had the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The instruments are all electronic. So don't bother looking for a mechanical speedo cable, there isn't one.

That said, the throttle is not electronic, so you can check that. Though based on what you described, it probably isn't that.

Can you hear sort of where it's coming from? Hearing can be deceiving, but it might give you a good idea.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk

2007 V-Strom DL1000 (current!)

Previous:
1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C (2016-2017)
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 (2012-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Time to get out your metric wrenches, sockets and allen keys and check all the fasteners you can find. I would start with the allen bolts that attach all the plastics (faring/wind screen/front fender) and move on to gas tank, seat, crash bars and kick stands etc. Have you taken off the panniers and trunk and done a test ride to see if noise goes away?

post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otischop View Post
Noticing a squeaking noise.... intermittent....... mid levels (30-35mph or 3/4 gears)...... Comes and goes....... Just this morning I heard it then clutched the bike so it was rolling and the squeak went and came back once clutch was released.
Otischop, intermittent noises can make you lose your hair. Is the noise ONLY when the motor is running? Only when the bike is rolling with the motor running? Only while rolling on smooooooooth road surfaces? I was on a week trip with a buddy and his Vee started doing something similar. We eventually determined it was the bike itself flexing because some of the main bolts had somehow become loose. He went around the bike and checked/torqued every bolt he could get to, and no more squeak. Squeak with clutch in/clutch out could be as simple as a harmonics making your engine guard bars move slightly enough to have a bolt squeak. If yours only happens with the motor running, try to generate the squeak in the driveway. Use a "listening device" such as a tube from the paper towel roll, or a short piece of garden hose -- something that you can listen through and focus in on small sections of the engine to isolate the noise. If the bike has to be rolling with the engine running, consider putting the bike on the center stand to lift the rear wheel and simulate rolling down the road. First spin the rear wheel by hand -- in gear (motor OFF!), out of gear, motor running (OUT of gear!!), motor off, motor at idle, motor at higher rpm, every option you can think of. Any squeaks?

post #5 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demache View Post
The instruments are all electronic. So don't bother looking for a mechanical speedo cable, there isn't one.

That said, the throttle is not electronic, so you can check that. Though based on what you described, it probably isn't that.

Can you hear sort of where it's coming from? Hearing can be deceiving, but it might give you a good idea.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk
Cheers for that, think it's more located to the front of the bike, will strap the phone and hit record tonight and post up so you can have a listen.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
Time to get out your metric wrenches, sockets and allen keys and check all the fasteners you can find. I would start with the allen bolts that attach all the plastics (faring/wind screen/front fender) and move on to gas tank, seat, crash bars and kick stands etc. Have you taken off the panniers and trunk and done a test ride to see if noise goes away?
Bike just has a back box for my helmet and that's it. Will try all bolts etc and see what happens.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
Otischop, intermittent noises can make you lose your hair. Is the noise ONLY when the motor is running? Only when the bike is rolling with the motor running? Only while rolling on smooooooooth road surfaces? I was on a week trip with a buddy and his Vee started doing something similar. We eventually determined it was the bike itself flexing because some of the main bolts had somehow become loose. He went around the bike and checked/torqued every bolt he could get to, and no more squeak. Squeak with clutch in/clutch out could be as simple as a harmonics making your engine guard bars move slightly enough to have a bolt squeak. If yours only happens with the motor running, try to generate the squeak in the driveway. Use a "listening device" such as a tube from the paper towel roll, or a short piece of garden hose -- something that you can listen through and focus in on small sections of the engine to isolate the noise. If the bike has to be rolling with the engine running, consider putting the bike on the center stand to lift the rear wheel and simulate rolling down the road. First spin the rear wheel by hand -- in gear (motor OFF!), out of gear, motor running (OUT of gear!!), motor off, motor at idle, motor at higher rpm, every option you can think of. Any squeaks?

Tell me about it, on the ride home I have my head tilted down either side of the tank trying to locate, other riders are giving me odd looks It's on all roads, smooth or not, will check bolts though and see. If I have the bike on the centre stand engine going moving through the gears there's nothing. When in motion no noise in 1st or 2nd, 3rd more noticeable and 4th, nothing in 5th or 6th so much. Mainly in around the 4000rpm mark.

I think like the majority above I'll just tighten everything possible and see how I go, cheers for the replies guys... Otis
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otischop View Post
If I have the bike on the centre stand engine going moving through the gears there's nothing. When in motion no noise in 1st or 2nd, 3rd more noticeable and 4th, nothing in 5th or 6th so much. Mainly in around the 4000rpm mark.
If this is only in higher gears under load (acceleration) another thought is to check the rear sprocket. Make sure those sprocket bolts are torqued correctly to the hub. Check the cush rubbers to ensure they are tight. You'll know if they are not tight enough when you have the back wheel off, laying horizontally on the ground and you lift it off the ground by the rear sprocket. If the sprocket and hub come apart from the wheel, the rubbers are worn enough to need shimmed or replaced.

Earlier you said pulling in the clutch made the noise vanish. The chain sprocket is no longer under load with the clutch in. If the hub is moving under torque/load, and rubbing metal on metal (hub to inside of wheel), you could be generating the noise that way.

When/where you find the source of this noise, be sure to post and let us know,
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

How many miles are on the chain and sprockets?

Is the rear wheel aligned properly or did you change chain tension recently?

Is there any abnormal wear visible on the inside plates of the chain?

Is your counter sprocket the OEM style with rubber damper ring or just a plain sprocket?
Big B likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I tightened ever bolt and nut I could see on the bike (took me ages), greased the chain again and no difference. The bike has 20,000 miles, service history is good, not due for another 6 months at least, chain and sprockets (plain) are fine. Change is good, wheel aligned fine.

I did notice one evening after the heavens opened and it poured rain that the squeaking went away, so something got wet, dampened the sound then a few spins later it came back... I'll be taking it to a mechanic in the next week to resolve it, cheers again for all the questions asked, I'll update you once I do find it. A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode