Instrument cluster options ?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By StreetStrom
  • 2 Post By notacop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Instrument cluster options ??

I am in the midst of removing much of the front fairing, lights, etc. and need to get some ideas of what options I have for a different instrument cluster. What recommendations do you have for 'small and simple'? How difficult will it be to adapt from the Strom harness to another cluster? This is something I've never messed with and really need some help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

It would be helpful to know what year and size V-Strom you have.
How many of the current gauges do you want to retain?
Have you considered remounting your existing instrument pack in a custom enclosure?

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I suppose there are a number of instruments available to the racing crowd. Adapting them over might be interesting.
On old Wee's, like my '04, there are gear indicator plug and play things i've read about.
Stewart Warner used to make stuff for cars. People i knew used to scrounge old military surplus stores for neat instruments and gauges.
We used to get really neat landing lights for night driving in the desert but LED's are so much more practical now.
Have you checked out what guys do to run Rallies like Paris/dakar.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
It would be helpful to know what year and size V-Strom you have.
Sorry, mine is a 05 DL1000. I used the forum title as a guide and obviously didn't set up my signature correctly yet to identify myself, my bad.

I'm basically turning my Vee into a custom street, daily commuter ride and want the bare essentials. No more long hauls on this bike for me but I don't want to part with it either; this is my solution.

Didn't really know if any AM company has invested the $$ into plug & play options like this; I don't see the value. With that I'll most likely have to find something that is not really too old and have quite the wiring project ahead of me.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks to the 'related threads' listed at the bottom of the page I just discovered a company call Acewell. Their products are exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with Acewell and the installations?
NVDucati likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Learn something every day. Never even noticed the links at the bottom of the page. Handy feature!
NVDucati and StreetStrom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode