New to a Vstrom, looking for advice - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 AM
aka Rick in Alabama

Garage
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the asylum!

The Valk and the ‘strom are entirely different rides. I ride a VStrom and a GL18 Wing. However, previously I owned two GL15's and well recall the feel of that bike. At the time I owned the last GL15 I also owned a BMW K bike.

Over the last year I've noticed it takes me longer to "transition" from the feel of one bike to the other. Some of that is because my time available to ride has been limited due to changes in my work, so I spend less time on two wheels than in earlier years. The other aspect for me is the reality of aging and the changes in how my body adapts to the transitions. I’ve actually thought of selling one bike or the other because they are both sitting so much, but I digress…

Maybe I missed, but you didn’t give an indication of your experience or of what type of m/c skill training you might how done, so I’ll shoot in the dark and tell you how I‘ve with the handling differences over the years.

Each spring when the riding season opens up I do a set of skill rituals to re-familiarize myself with my bike, or bikes as it is at the moment. There is no claim for originality on the following suggestions; I read them years ago in a BMW ON magazine.

Find a deserted, paved parking lot and do low speed "S" loops through the rows of lined spaces. Put another way, in first gear you will be maneuvering in and out of the open ends of the “boxes” where the cars park. Use the throttle and rear brake only to control your balance.

Don't try to make the maneuvers tight S's at every set of boxes. Rather, make it an easy to manage maneuver in and out of every other set, or every third set if that is more comfortable to you.

After the parking lot ritual, get on a deserted back-country paved road and practice the feel of counter-steering the ‘strom.

In counter-steering you push the left handlebar to go left; and push the right handlebar to go right. I practice this by zig-zagging the dotted center lines in an easy sway back and forth while zig-zagging about every three or four "spaces" between lines.

Don’t get lost in the moment and sway into the path of an oncoming vehicle…

Finally, if the same road has enough curves to practice counter-steering at speed, apply the counter-steering principle to the curves. Gently counter-steer through the turns until you can use the throttle and lift the bike out of the turns.

Keep the rpms up for this. If the bike starts down because of the engine bogging it will not be pretty.

You’ll not regret buying the ‘strom. In my opinion it’s a street bike with a sporty edge to it. About 90% of the time my DL650 is go-to ride for the day, especially when I’m just riding around town.

However, I must admit that if I’m on an all-day ride for any distance, the Gold Wing is the only way I want to go: cruise, backrest, highway boards, and a superb sound system.

Congrats again on snagging the 'strom. The bike is just a blast to ride.
Big B and Gert like this.

Current rides: 2001 GL1800, 2014 DL650 Adventure; Gone away: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Garage
To the OP.....is that the forum name you want "your email", if not let me know and I can make any changes you want?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Wow what great info. Thanks to all of you. To answer one post, I am a newer rider of only a few years but try to take a MSF or gwrra course annually so I am very familiar with the parking lot practice and also do it the beginning of each season.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode