Rear brake line heat shield? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Motor7
  • 1 Post By bwringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Rear brake line heat shield?

Just replaced the rear brake line, because it was super old, and I was due for a brake fluid swap anyway, so why not.

The new brake line (Galfer FK003D327R) didn't come with a heat shield, like the factory one has at the master cylinder end. I mean the flexible metal tubing that covers the forward 6" or so of the stock brake line, where it curls around to connect to the rear master cylinder.

That part of the hose runs pretty close to an exhaust header, which I suppose is why it had the heat shield.

Do I need to go get something like this:

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...de-Brake-Lines

and put it on the new line?

Or should this not be a problem?

Would rather spend a few bucks for some shielding, if needed, vs. cook my new brake line and/or boil the freshly-replaced brake fluid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 PM
$tromtrooper

That's a good question. If it were me, I would add an aftermarket brake line heat shield and call it good:

https://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Pr.../dp/B004GNJCXI
cyclopathic likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ran into this problem when I did my California Winter project bike a few years back. I found that spark plug wire heat shields were a good fit. I think I found a pack of two so they weren't super expensive. Here is the post discussing the issue in my project thread.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Ehh, I was afraid of that. Getting one of those boots over the line now, is going to require draining & replacing brake fluid yet again, since I'll have to disconnect one banjo or the other. But it's probably the best solution.

A hose clamp should keep the boot/heat shield in place, once positioned. I feel it would be wise to leave the lower end open, so water can drain and air can circulate freely.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, don't disconnect the brake line. I'd just get any generic metal hose that you can split lengthwise and wrap the brake line and zip tie it in place, it should be fine. Even if you wrapped it in strips of aluminum foil it would probably be okay just leave a gap between the foil and the brake line because the greatest heat transfer mode in that location is probably radiation and the gap will keep the brake fluid temp down which is the goal.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 04-16-2019 at 11:57 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Locating a suitable material without buying more stuff than I want, or spending more than I'd like, has proven impossible. Going to just cut the heat shield tube off the old brake line and put it on the new one. Hose clamp for the win!

Maybe I'll get around to a more elegant solution some day.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just pulled the heat shield material off the old line and slid it over the new line. It's pretty obvious you need it; that area gets mighty hot.

I like the spark plug shielding stuff, though. Nice clean solution.
DesertBike likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
So far the old shielding hose has stayed in place. It doesn't have much choice; the first clip that holds the brake line in place on the swingarm keeps it from scooting rearward much. Didn't even need the hose clamp.

There's also a plastic wall-type thing between the curl in the line & exhaust header. I think it may be part #26 (61196-06G00) in the Rear Master Cylinder diagram.

But yeah, why take chances? Shield that line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode