Front end help - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By notacop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Front end help

I just got a 06 Vee that I’m riding with my wife on weekends. At about 350 lbs between us I need recommendations on front spring and or valve upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are many business that make fork modifications.
Adventure Power Sports, LLC is just one.
The google box at the top of the page will lead you to many threads about suspensions. Just type in "suspension modifications".
vegashotwheeler likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Gold valves or Ricor Intiminators + springs and fork oil to match not only you weight but riding style. Either of the manufacturers sites can walk you through this to get components matched up. Gold Valves you build yourself the Ricors drop right in. I've used both in DR650 and have found one no better than the other and either better than stock.

I was going to rework the front of my DL until someone suggested a fork brace. It made a drastic difference and I ended up going no further. Prior to the fork brace running over manhole covers was sharp and pogo'ed a bit after the brace the front really calmed down ad felt worlds better and more plush. Aggressive riding was the same result. There is a lot of flex in the long spindly DL forks a brace goes a long way in remedying this.

The only downside is a fork brace cannot correct damper rod fork "front end dive" if this is what you are after solving you nee to get fork inserts like mentioned above. Even HD springs will not correct this you need some valving to control the fork oil and how it moves through the fork.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Contact Daughtery Motorsports - They can rebuild your forks to your specific needs.

DMr Performance Suspension ? Performance Motorcycle Suspension and Chassis

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

My personl favorite is Sonic springs. Rich is member here and V-Strom owner. There is a spring rate calculator on the site that will help determine exatly what springs you need and Rich can make a fork oil recommendation. That will address 90% of the valving and probably all that needs to be done.

Sonic Springs

My experience with 05 DL650 was a fork brace, and new springs made a world of difference. Nothing else really needed for the front. I found a stiffer rear shock spring was all that was needed for the stock rear shock. I got that from Wilbers.

That place has moved on but Wilbers is still sold n the US.

WIlbers America Home of Wilbers Shocks

If your wife needs lower pegs check these out. Along with our fork brace. It makes a HUGE difference on the Gen 1 DL1000.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/fork-braces.html

https://www.adventuretech.biz/passen...-lowering.html
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Garage
Wilburs unfortunately doesn't have just a rear spring option for my 15XT.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Fred"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Fiona”

post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
sonic springs (or any brand really) and gold valves. had mine done at a local shop and save the expense and hassle of shipping, not to mention taking apart the front end and putting it back together.

warning: once you do the front end proper like, you will hate the rear! so get ready to spend on the rear as well.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctforbulon View Post
I just got a 06 Vee that I’m riding with my wife on weekends. At about 350 lbs between us I need recommendations on front spring and or valve upgrades
I recently put springs into my forks. The change made a huge difference in the feel now while riding as well as total elimination of the diving front end when braking. The new springs are stronger and shorter than stock. I never had front forks apart before, and ended up doing it all myself (oil, seals, covers, bushings, springs). Just take your time and you can do it yourself if you are so inclined. Lots of info on this forum and all over the internet. One example:

And as mentioned from another poster, yep I am now looking into a rear spring. The hardest part of that is determining which strength of spring to get. I have talked or emailed with 5 different suspension gurus and I have 5 different recommendations -- from 9.6kg/mm to 14.7kg/mm. And I gave them all the same base information.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for all the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode