Got clutch/crank case cover off - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Got clutch/crank case cover off

Howdy all,

I know their are some more experienced clutch guru's who have much more experience than I do with clutch issues, so here goes.

2007 Vee. Last fall I barely got her home when the stator went kaput. I have since repaired the stator/loose magnet issues and that part working perfect.

I thought I screwed up the clutch slave cylinder, but I had taken off and put back on many times since I've had this bike with no issues.
After taking the slave apart, totally cleaning the piston/chamber, put it back together, new fluid totally bled the system again, still no forward drive.

So drained coolant/oil, took off clutch cover (I did this because I could move the clutch/pressure plates through the oil filler), tried the screw driver trick manipulating clutch, it would tighten, but then loosen back to floppy clutch/pressure plates.

The 5 springs all look good, clutch/pressure plates look good, so is my next step taking off the crimped washer nut?

What is the possibility the #20 push rod has an issue?
Also, when I grab the clutch basket, it is solid - except for I can turn it (clunkily) forward & back about 1/4", is this normal?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Also another thought

Howdy again all,

I also forgot to add, when I pulled the clutch/pressure plates out, the flat washer was last, the wavy washer was before the flat washer... which I thought was supposed to also be a wavy washer?

Last edited by cavedweller22; 04-13-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Paging Mr. Shelby....
Motor7 likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Whichever genius crimped the lock nut on, really made it difficult to get loosened..
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just an update... I decided to put back together and wait until I could get clutch parts, well to make a long story short, in the end, I think
the 5 bolts w/springs were causing the issue. After I torqued them down, the clutch plates tightened up.

Put her back together, oil & antifreeze, rode her...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I suspect that taking it apart and putting it back has corrected the alignment of the splines where the pressure plate and inner hub mate up. Hard to see the problem if you don't know what to look for.

The flanged nut is peened down at the factory and should be peened down with each installation.

There is a hardened flat washer that is the first part to go on when you start installing the clutch pack. Then the Belleville washer spring goes on top of the flat washer, with the outer edge raised. The hardened washer is there to protect the soft aluminum from the Belleville washer spring.

If you can turn the clutch basket 1/4" inch by hand, that would tell me there is a good bit of wear internally.

The 5 pressure plate springs bottom out. Hard to install them wrong. Never seen an issue from them.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I suspect that taking it apart and putting it back has corrected the alignment of the splines where the pressure plate and inner hub mate up. Hard to see the problem if you don't know what to look for.

The flanged nut is peened down at the factory and should be peened down with each installation.

There is a hardened flat washer that is the first part to go on when you start installing the clutch pack. Then the Belleville washer spring goes on top of the flat washer, with the outer edge raised. The hardened washer is there to protect the soft aluminum from the Belleville washer spring.

If you can turn the clutch basket 1/4" inch by hand, that would tell me there is a good bit of wear internally.

The 5 pressure plate springs bottom out. Hard to install them wrong. Never seen an issue from them.

The first thing I noticed was how easy the 5 bolt springs backed out. My plan is to ride & order the parts (clutch basket, bearings, washers, nut, springs, gasket although I did re-use old one with zero leaks..etc) then once I have everything.. do a rebuild..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode