How much is my bike worth? Oil leak. - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
As for your leaky drain plug, try using one of these Fumoto B111SX M14-1.25 BSX SERIES drain valves - they're designed so you never have to remove a drain plug, for it uses a spring loaded valve instead. They're very well made, and easy to use - and you never have to remove your drain plug again, and prevent further damage to your repaired drain-hole threads - just put on a fresh crimping washer, some teflon tape and one of these quick drain valves and 99% of your issues disappear. Your leak might disappear too.

They're about $35

Here's the one for your 2005 dl1000 : Search Results | Fumoto®️ Engine Oil Drain Valves

And a link on amazon fyi: https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-B111SX.../dp/B079XBHLFN

slap a fresh Power Commander on that bike and you may just decide to keep it for another 40,000 miles!
Sadly I already have a similar set up but the leak comes from the threads that the first piece goes into. Here’s a picture of the original damage, and then the leak even after the repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02C3821B-B9E1-4CC7-A166-1F52DEB3EBD6_1554701332519.jpg (281.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0991E52F-59C0-4D65-AB34-39D47FCE9797_1554701349306.jpg (243.6 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Find someone with a Yosh box. Richen up the 2000-4000rpm range.

Then sell it.

Buy something that puts a smile on your face.

FWIW: I Yoshed my 2006 190,000kms ago. I still smile when I ride it. It was the best case of beer I ever spent. And I even drank a few of them myself that Friday afternoon. Some Suzuki shop near you has one, but you will likely pay in $ rather than beer unless you're on friendly terms.

As for the drain plug, that's just a minor annoyance. A time-sert or similar remedy and problem solved. Or live with a minor leak.

Your bike is not dead. It just needs some love and it will love you back.
Thanks for the positive vibes. I ordered a PCV and plan to keep the bike and ride it as long as it keeps running
post #33 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappystromsocal View Post
Sadly I already have a similar set up but the leak comes from the threads that the first piece goes into. Here’s a picture of the original damage, and then the leak even after the repair.

How did you repair that crack?

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #34 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Quote:

How did you repair that crack?
Well it took a while to find the right person. No shops in town wanted to touch it. My mechanic asked his friend who builds turbos for bikes and cars and does a lot of aluminum welding if he would look at my bike. This guy ended up welding it and rethreading the drain hole. He had a whole process and it was very cool. Apparently aluminum is really difficult to weld because it flexes or something, so I felt good that this guy was so confident about it. I was seriously thinking that I would either have to sell the bike for parts or find a new motor...neither of which I wanted to do. So, in the big picture, a small oil leak is something I have learned to live with. I’m also in grad school and my bike is my commuter (50 miles per day), so I can’t really afford to get a new bike right now.
post #35 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did you put a new crush washer on the drain plug? The bolt will leak without a crush washer or a bad one. If the bolt still leaks with a new washer, my guess is the thread may have been cut on a slight angle, or possibly the crack was not fully welded.
post #36 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You could leave it as is. It takes many drops of oil to fill a thimble.
Alternatively, use WD40 and a rag to clean the area and lie on the deck to watch the plug and see exactly where the leak is. Your engineer had a good idea in fitting the 90 degree fitting to avoid the need to reseal the plug every time you did an oil change.
Perhaps he might have another go if you could positively identify where the leak is.

Best done when the oil is hot and therefore flows easier.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #37 of 38 Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Another Alternative.

I found this product https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...t-leak-repair/
The Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Ka4eEViClcw

I haven't tried it. Worth a go as an alternative to starting over?

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #38 of 38 Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Thanks for the positive vibes. I ordered a PCV and plan to keep the bike and ride it as long as it keeps running
Positive vibes are a cure for anything, man. Ride on.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode