How much is my bike worth? Oil leak. - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
STCorndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
I would use the word "mask" or the words "gloss over". Unless your fueling is running closed loop it cannot self adjust to compensate for changing conditions you are not correcting the problems you are covering them up.

I do not assume you are wrong. You simply are wrong and in a lot of instances. It has nothing to do with me.
It has everything to do with you. Just because you say something is wrong, does not make it so. It is funny to me that you seem to be the only person here to find my mistakes.

I will just sit back and watch you spin your Teflon fantasy.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
STCorndog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,026
Zowy, a pissing contest! Excellent. These are always interesting. Casual observers get a ream of possibly useful information, if you can sort though it.

"they don't pay a lot for trades."
Are you privy to any dealer that makes a over the top offer on used bikes, especially with a possible defect?
Some times at Bert's over the years they have sold perfectly good bikes at a low price because they have been on the floor too long.
Years ago they had a ripping good deal on early SV 650's with the extra fairing parts because they were the ungodly copper color no one wanted.
notacop is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
STCorndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
..........................

So I ask you knower of all things PTFE how did the world seal tapered threads prior to the invention of PTFE?

Wait a minute.

I made a mistake remember. I said that Teflon tape or compound works as a thread sealer. Not in place of a sealing washer (I use spit instead of a sealing washer), but as a way of helping the OP with sealing his weeping threads. Then you "corrected" one of my many mistakes, informing me Teflon was a lubricant. Now the spin control has started.

Teflon tape is now a sealer. Twenty seven years, I guess you learned something today.

This is your standard operating procedure.

You don't even realize what you are saying. Pretty sad actually.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
STCorndog is offline  
 
post #24 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,282
Garage
I know for a FACT that a PCV or PCIII did in fact cure ALL of my lean running issues, as it runs "in conjunction" of the base map in the ECM. I also tried the Yoshimura box method first, as it DOES over write the ECM.......but the PCIII worked much better and gave me much more flexibility for additional tuning. PerazziMX14....go browse around the first gen 1000 section, you'll see just how well the power commander more times than not CURE the lean fueling issues.

There are those who got an ECM swap for their lean running 1000's, and the result was barely better.....the PC units FIXED the issue.
STCorndog and Hatchi like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
PerazziMx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
Wait a minute.

I made a mistake remember. I said that Teflon tape or compound works as a thread sealer. Not in place of a sealing washer (I use spit instead of a sealing washer), but as a way of helping the OP with sealing his weeping threads. Then you "corrected" one of my many mistakes, informing me Teflon was a lubricant. Now the spin control has started.

Teflon tape is now a sealer. Twenty seven years, I guess you learned something today.

This is your standard operating procedure.

You don't even realize what you are saying. Pretty sad actually.
I've never said Teflon tape was is or will ever be a thread sealant. I stated it is what it is a thread lubricant. I asked you in your infinite wisdom how pipe threads were sealed for the 100+ years prior to the invention and use of Teflon and would love to hear your answer to it but like always you deflect and skirt the question.


You are trying to make me out to be the bad guy here and I'm not sure why. What Have I posted that is not accurate?

I also stand by the fact that PC's alone don't correct fuel map issues and only mask or gloss over them. Unfortunately if you are unable to comprehend the difference between the two systems it is impossible to understand how they operate.
PerazziMx14 is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
PerazziMx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I know for a FACT that a PCV or PCIII did in fact cure ALL of my lean running issues, as it runs "in conjunction" of the base map in the ECM. I also tried the Yoshimura box method first, as it DOES over write the ECM.......but the PCIII worked much better and gave me much more flexibility for additional tuning. PerazziMX14....go browse around the first gen 1000 section, you'll see just how well the power commander more times than not CURE the lean fueling issues.

There are those who got an ECM swap for their lean running 1000's, and the result was barely better.....the PC units FIXED the issue.

The PC more times than not gives the ability to add more or less fuel at a predetermined rate no matter the surrounding conditions. So lets say at sea level I program my PCIII during a 70 degree day at 75% RH I need drops of fuel per second at idle, 4 drop at 1/4 throttle 6 drops at 3/4 and 8 drops at WOT.

Tomorrow I ride up a 15,000 foot mountain pass and the air is thinner, the temperature is 40 degrees cooler and the humidity is 40% does the same PCIII setting work equally well as it did yesterday. Is the fuel needs the same. What was rich yesterday might be lean today or vise versa. Thats is because an open loop system is like a carb once its set, its set. It does not have the ability to self analyze and make corrections on the go to the A/F mixture to optimize for ever changing conditions. What PCIII's do is fool the bikes ECU into adding or omitting fuel in ranges not in finite area. While the surging might have gone away are you actually loosing HP in other areas as you are dumping in more fuel than can be efficiently burned. The seat of the pants dyno and a dyno are two drastically things. There has been more than one instance where some did some a/f changes to their bike and thought the change was dramatic because the seat of the pants dyno "felt" better, more responsive or a power hit. Then put the bike on the dyno and found what thy did had a negative effect. This is usually because the bike runs good in one area and not another. So they transition area of the throttle position have a power spike/hit verses a bike that is properly fuel in ALL the throttle range but feel linear.


To minimize surging at a certain RPM you can also drop a tooth in the front and up 2 teeth in the rear. The surging is still there but you either get through the RPM range where the surging occurred faster and don't notice it or you generally ride in a different RMP range so the perception of the surging is gone.
PerazziMx14 is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 PM
$tromtrooper
 
larolco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,288
Find someone with a Yosh box. Richen up the 2000-4000rpm range.

Then sell it.

Buy something that puts a smile on your face.

FWIW: I Yoshed my 2006 190,000kms ago. I still smile when I ride it. It was the best case of beer I ever spent. And I even drank a few of them myself that Friday afternoon. Some Suzuki shop near you has one, but you will likely pay in $ rather than beer unless you're on friendly terms.

As for the drain plug, that's just a minor annoyance. A time-sert or similar remedy and problem solved. Or live with a minor leak.

Your bike is not dead. It just needs some love and it will love you back.
Big B and BC Rider like this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
larolco is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 04-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
Brockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gatton, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 4,139
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
I've never said Teflon tape was is or will ever be a thread sealant. I stated it is what it is a thread lubricant. I asked you in your infinite wisdom how pipe threads were sealed for the 100+ years prior to the invention and use of Teflon and would love to hear your answer to it but like always you deflect and skirt the question.
I am no plumber BUT I can distinctly recall, as a boy, watching a plumber in the 1950's making repairs to galvanised steel plumbing, and using some (possibly green cloured) grease or compound, and infusing into that compound threads of frayed twine to seal several joints.

I also stand by the fact that PC's alone don't correct fuel map issues and only mask or gloss over them. Unfortunately if you are unable to comprehend the difference between the two systems it is impossible to understand how they operate.

Many bikes come jetted very lean to pass emissions testing and the intention of Power Commanders and ECU mods is that they enrichen the fuel mixture, as and when required, to ensure that in adverse conditions that the bike receives sufficient fueling to run smoothly.
Furthermore, in your post #9 you posted "Teflon tap dope and pipe dope are not thread sealants, they are thread lubricants. The interference fit of tapered threads is the "seal"." while quoting and replying to another troopers suggestion of using Teflon tape on the drain bolt threads in an effort to stop an oil leak.
So you DID incorrectly infer that oil drain bolts have a tapered thread.

I would be grateful if you could stand back from this thread and allow other posters to assist the OP.
STCorndog, gdrew and ERockJL like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Brockie is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM
$tromtrooper
 
jokermtb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: plymouth, michigan
Posts: 3,054
Garage
As for your leaky drain plug, try using one of these Fumoto B111SX M14-1.25 BSX SERIES drain valves - they're designed so you never have to remove a drain plug, for it uses a spring loaded valve instead. They're very well made, and easy to use - and you never have to remove your drain plug again, and prevent further damage to your repaired drain-hole threads - just put on a fresh crimping washer, some teflon tape and one of these quick drain valves and 99% of your issues disappear. Your leak might disappear too.

They're about $35

Here's the one for your 2005 dl1000 : Search Results | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves

And a link on amazon fyi: https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-B111SX.../dp/B079XBHLFN

slap a fresh Power Commander on that bike and you may just decide to keep it for another 40,000 miles!
Brockie likes this.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
jokermtb is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 04-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 113
Thanks jokermtb I've never seen anything like this , always learning on this site

DL650A L3
KLR650
CB900 Bol d'Or
Yamaha Nifty Fifty ( great way of saving for university )
RD350LC
CB125twin
Farm Bike Suzuki Van Van 125
reasonable is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Day @ Barber Motorsport ChiGuy64 Riding Proficiency 12 06-04-2013 08:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome