How much is my bike worth? Oil leak. - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I guess I’ll look into a new PC. Do you know if I have to lift the tank to install it? And after I install it, can I just load a new fuel map with the software, or are there more steps involved? I’ve changed the fuel map once before so am familiar with that process but never installed one from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
You sure about that?

Especially important as drain plugs on these bikes are not tapered "pipe" threads.
I'm not sure, I'm 100% positive. Drain plugs on motorcycles are sealed with crush washers not a lubricating compound on tapered threads.

As a member of the Local 520 plumbers and pipefitters for the last 27 years I am well aware of what tape and paste dope does and why it is used.

There are thread lockers, thread sealants and thread lubricants. Teflon tape is the latter.
post #13 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

According to Wikipedia:
Thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape, Teflon tape, or plumber's tape) is a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film tape commonly used in plumbing for sealing pipe threads. The tape is sold cut to specific widths and wound on a spool, making it easy to wind around pipe threads. Thread seal tape lubricates allowing for a deeper seating of the threads, and it helps prevent the threads from seizing when being unscrewed. The tape also works as a deformable filler and thread lubricant, helping to seal the joint without hardening or making it more difficult to tighten, and instead making it easier to tighten.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields

Last edited by Big Boy; 04-05-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Quoted Wikipedia Definition

post #14 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
I'm not sure, I'm 100% positive. Drain plugs on motorcycles are sealed with crush washers not a lubricating compound on tapered threads.

As a member of the Local 520 plumbers and pipefitters for the last 27 years I am well aware of what tape and paste dope does and why it is used.

There are thread lockers, thread sealants and thread lubricants. Teflon tape is the latter.

I didn't go to plumbing school. Have no idea what they teach. I don't know of a single motorcycle engine with a tapered thread drain plug made in the last 40 years. Examples of tapered threads are wood screws and pipe threads. The starting end diameter is always smaller and increases as it threads in. A straight thread is what you find in machine screws/bolts. You, being a plumber should know that. Most drain plugs have straight threads with a crush washer or other seal as the secondary sealing surface.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #15 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Teflon tap dope and pipe dope are not thread sealants, they are thread lubricants. The interference fit of tapered threads is the "seal".

Power Commanders DO NOT correct fueling they issues simply enrichen or lean out chunks of the fuel map. These values are set and are unaffected by air temperatures or elevation changes. Open loop systems are not a whole lot different than a jetted carb. To make changes to a open loop fuel map you need to open then ECU with software and manually change values for different throttle positions.

FatDuc fuel manipulators were nothing more than dumbed down Power Commanders that fooled the fueling with inline resistors.

A Power Commander coupled with an O2 optimizer making the fueling a "closed loop" system will correct fuel issues because it had the ability to collect and analyze data then make corrective changes to the fueling many times per second.
I was counting the hours till my stalker returned.

Do you read what you type?

"Power Commanders DO NOT correct fueling they issues simply enrichen or lean out chunks of the fuel map" Instead of correct what word would you use? - I know the difference between remapping an ECU and what a PC does. I fully understand open loop versus closed loop systems.

"Teflon tap dope and pipe dope are not thread sealants, they are thread lubricants." -I direct you to the other posters who provided the same correct information as I did, since for some reason you like to assume I am wrong. I am glad you informed me the sealing washer was a seal, I quit using them years ago and just spit on my drain plugs.
Big B and dust_buster like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

Last edited by STCorndog; 04-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I didn't go to plumbing school. Have no idea what they teach. I don't know of a single motorcycle engine with a tapered thread drain plug made in the last 40 years. Examples of tapered threads are wood screws and pipe threads. The starting end diameter is always smaller and increases as it threads in. A straight thread is what you find in machine screws/bolts. You, being a plumber should know that. Most drain plugs have straight threads with a crush washer or other seal as the secondary sealing surface.

A wood screw not a tapered thread. It more like a drill bit and has a pointed tip to help it get started then quickly tapers out and has straight walls.

Yes, I pointed out the most oil drain plugs are sealed by a crush washer. Other by a o-ring or fiber washer. I made no mention of drain plugs on motorcycles being tapered.

I did mention that teflon tapes and pipe dope is for lubricating threads. I encourage everyone in disbelief to go to the hardware tore get a couple of screw fitting and pipe nipples and put them together dry then again with 2-1/2 wraps of teflon tape. The dry joints will gauld and not screw in as far so you have less of an interference fit. The one with teflon tape since the threads are lubricated will thread in further with gaulding increasing the interference fit lessening the chance of leakage. You also put the the tape or dope on the male threads so when you thread it into the female threads it pushed back and not into the pipe leaving only a very thin lubricating film on the threads. Again don;t believe me take the threads you just assembled using teflon tape apart and see how much teflon is left on the threads.
post #17 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
I was counting the hours till my stalker returned.

Do you read what you type?

"Power Commanders DO NOT correct fueling they issues simply enrichen or lean out chunks of the fuel map" Instead of correct what word would you use? - I know the difference between remapping an ECU and what a PC does. I fully understand open loop versus closed loop systems.

"Teflon tap dope and pipe dope are not thread sealants, they are thread lubricants." -I direct you to the other posters who provided the same correct information as I did, since for some reason you like to assume I am wrong. I am glad you informed me the sealing washer was a seal, I quit using them years ago and just spit on my drain plugs.
I would use the word "mask" or the words "gloss over". Unless your fueling is running closed loop it cannot self adjust to compensate for changing conditions you are not correcting the problems you are covering them up.

I do not assume you are wrong. You simply are wrong and in a lot of instances. It has nothing to do with me.
post #18 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappystromsocal View Post
Do you know if I have to lift the tank to install it? And after I install it, can I just load a new fuel map with the software, or are there more steps involved?

You'll probably have to lift the tank and remove the airbox. PC has to be plugged into the injectors.

Afterwards you can upload a new fuel map. Dynojet has a bunch on their website. Pick one that most closely describes your setup.

Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

OR.. You can find someone with a dyno that can do a custom tune. This is best case scenario, but also most expensive.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #19 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hmm, i dont use teflon tape on tapered threads, or NPT, they leak. I use teflon tape, it doesnt leak. Good thing i always "lube'em up". Teflon tape fills voids.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #20 of 38 Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
A wood screw not a tapered thread. It more like a drill bit and has a pointed tip to help it get started then quickly tapers out and has straight walls.
Do you understand you just contradicted yourself with your own post? Yes, wood screws are tapered. Not always the full length of the shaft. And for a different purpose from NPT tapered threads.

We will stick to NPT since you are a plumber.

Yes, teflon tape acts as a lubricant. As does pipe dope. As does Loctite on straight machine threads. As does the spit STCorndog puts on his drainplug. You allow for that in situations where torque is applied. But in NPT applications thread count is the common "torque" value. As in how many threads go in after finger tight. If lubrication was the purpose of teflon tape or pipe dope, I would just use a squirt of oil or whatever common lube was compatible with the materials and use.

Straight from the HOKE fittings installation guide. Scroll down to page 7.

I looked over several sites dedicated to the use of sealers on NPT components. ALL are calling teflon and pipe dope sealers........
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode