Performance Mods for 04 DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Performance Mods for 04 DL1000

Hey there everyone,

Had my 1000 for about a year now and gotten fairly comfortable with it. Pretty much all my riding friends are on 4 cylinder liter bikes or busas (a few Italian Twins also...) so I'm obviously on the wrong bike but I do like to do some solo riding on the dirt roads myself so I think it's a good trade-off for me personally.

That being said, I'd like to get a little more corner pull from my bike when I'm riding with those guys. We sometimes cruise at some pretty high speeds where the timing retard in 5th and OD becomes cumbersome so I've already ordered a TRE for it recently. I'm running stock gearing and sounds like I would have been better off with a 1 down in the front and up 1 or 2 in the back coupled with the TRE from what I've read...

It still has stock exhausts, and I've considered the Black Widow and also Akra systems. It does not look like very many folks are still offering systems for the first gen bikes. Sound is a concern, because I like to ride distance also and in rural areas I don't want to be an annoyance. A little more pep and a weight shedding would be my primary factors I guess.

I've searched around a lot and found a lot of old threads but it seems like many of the parts or other websites referenced back at those times are now no longer offered or are discontinued.

Has anyone done any air box modifications or anything else to help the engine breathe better? I'm pretty handy so I don't mind DIY. Has anyone upgraded cams? Anything else worth doing/trying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
there's very little if anything that can be done to a vee to wring out "more power." akras are great cans. i have a set. they will also save you several pounds.

your best bet to get a little more oomph is to change gearing. go down one in front or up two in the rear.

aside from that, get another bike.
dudu and BillyGoat123 like this.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)

Last edited by teevee; 04-03-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoat123 View Post
Hey there everyone,

Had my 1000 for about a year now and gotten fairly comfortable with it. Pretty much all my riding friends are on 4 cylinder liter bikes or busas (a few Italian Twins also...) so I'm obviously on the wrong bike but I do like to do some solo riding on the dirt roads myself so I think it's a good trade-off for me personally.

That being said, I'd like to get a little more corner pull from my bike when I'm riding with those guys. We sometimes cruise at some pretty high speeds where the timing retard in 5th and OD becomes cumbersome so I've already ordered a TRE for it recently. I'm running stock gearing and sounds like I would have been better off with a 1 down in the front and up 1 or 2 in the back coupled with the TRE from what I've read...

It still has stock exhausts, and I've considered the Black Widow and also Akra systems. It does not look like very many folks are still offering systems for the first gen bikes. Sound is a concern, because I like to ride distance also and in rural areas I don't want to be an annoyance. A little more pep and a weight shedding would be my primary factors I guess.

I've searched around a lot and found a lot of old threads but it seems like many of the parts or other websites referenced back at those times are now no longer offered or are discontinued.

Has anyone done any air box modifications or anything else to help the engine breathe better? I'm pretty handy so I don't mind DIY. Has anyone upgraded cams? Anything else worth doing/trying?
Corners in Florida?

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300

post #4 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Lots of corners in the northern part of the state where I live.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yep, not a lot that can be done to get more engine power. Weird, huh? But damn near everything has been tried in the last 17 years and nothing has ever really amounted to much.

However, suspension upgrades are readily available and have a profound effect. I'd definitely start there; you can make the Vee handle a LOT better.

And as mentioned, changing gearing is pretty common, fairly easy and cheap, and will give you more poke out of corners.

But the best money you'll ever spend is on upgrading your own software. Take a class or two on rapid transit via motorcycle; I can highly recommend Total Control Riding from Lee Parks. Speed is 90% rider, 10% bike. It's not engine power that's holding you back.

The only positive performance effect an aftermarket exhaust might have is that it's lighter. The stock cans are pretty heavy.

However, lighter cans will also be MUCH LOUDER. It's up to you whether you can tolerate the splitting headache from two pounding pipes mounted up high near your head. A four-cylinder bike with one pipe and an outlet further away is much more tolerable. A loud Vee can be seriously unpleasant.
dudu likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #6 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yep, not a lot that can be done to get more engine power. Weird, huh? But damn near everything has been tried in the last 17 years and nothing has ever really amounted to much.

However, suspension upgrades are readily available and have a profound effect. I'd definitely start there; you can make the Vee handle a LOT better.

And as mentioned, changing gearing is pretty common, fairly easy and cheap, and will give you more poke out of corners.

But the best money you'll ever spend is on upgrading your own software. Take a class or two on rapid transit via motorcycle; I can highly recommend Total Control Riding from Lee Parks. Speed is 90% rider, 10% bike. It's not engine power that's holding you back.

The only positive performance effect an aftermarket exhaust might have is that it's lighter. The stock cans are pretty heavy.

However, lighter cans will also be MUCH LOUDER. It's up to you whether you can tolerate the splitting headache from two pounding pipes mounted up high near your head. A four-cylinder bike with one pipe and an outlet further away is much more tolerable. A loud Vee can be seriously unpleasant.
Thanks for the reply. The bike already does have front and rear suspension work (Race tech emulators, springs, and fork brace on the front), and the previous owner put a Hagon rear shock on it. The suspension is some of the best I've ever rode on. It soaks up little road bumps and asphalt ripples as well as even choppy wash board in the dirt with no problems. I guess the good suspension is one of the reasons I'm finding the limits of the engine.

I know the guy on vstom international swapped in the entire SV engine back in the day - has anyone ever done anything like SV heads/cams on a DL engine? Swapped a throttle body? Anything else along those lines. Maybe I go full SV engine eventually..

Sounds like in practical senses lower gearing with the TRE eliminator so it can use the higher RPMs in the top 2 gears is the best way to go for now.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
SV engine swap would be a nightmare for you, keep the Strom as is and get another faster bike to compliment it.
teevee, Gert and gopi.sandy like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I recall seeing a few running starts at an SV or TL swap into a DL1000, but I don't ever remember seeing one completed.

There were several SV and TL variants making 108-135HP. The TL1000, especially the R, was a beast; monster engine in a lightweight, hardcore sportbike chassis.

I've ridden an SV and a TL. What you notice first on both is (obviously) the lack of bulk, which has far more effect on corner exits than the added engine power. The TL is downright brutal, and not something well-suited to long distances.

The DL is a big, roomy, extraordinarily capable sport-tourer with long-travel suspension and a lot of carrying capacity. The TL and SV have very different missions and chassis.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #9 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The bike already does have front and rear suspension work (Race tech emulators, springs, and fork brace on the front), and the previous owner put a Hagon rear shock on it. The suspension is some of the best I've ever rode on. It soaks up little road bumps and asphalt ripples as well as even choppy wash board in the dirt with no problems. I guess the good suspension is one of the reasons I'm finding the limits of the engine.

I know the guy on vstom international swapped in the entire SV engine back in the day - has anyone ever done anything like SV heads/cams on a DL engine? Swapped a throttle body? Anything else along those lines. Maybe I go full SV engine eventually..

Sounds like in practical senses lower gearing with the TRE eliminator so it can use the higher RPMs in the top 2 gears is the best way to go for now.
Just buying a used sport bike would be cheaper than serious mods to the DL.

Honestly, I don't see the issue. I ride with some guys on sport bikes who have significant track time under their belt, and don't have a problem keeping up with them on my 650.
Speed on the street is 50% what chances you're willing to take, 40% riding ability, and 10% bike.
Big B likes this.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848
post #10 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
That was John Weldon. You would wilt at the work that has to be done to make that engine work in a DL 1000!

If you MUST have power, you have to start over. SV's have stronger connecting rods, different stators, different pistons, different cams. The only way to really do all this right is build an engine. There is one and only one person that can do that turnkey with proven results. He runs Pi R Squared Racing and has built many of these engines. He goes by schmidt314 on SVPortal and SVrider. I have his info if needed.

He would probably build a "DL 1000" but use the new DL 1000 cylinders ( larger bore), good rods and pistons, and do his magic on the cylinder heads. But maintain the DL 1000 electronics.

Money is power! How fast do you want to go?
Big B, stu53, bobbyvstrom and 1 others like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode