Performance Mods for 04 DL1000 - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like you have search around. Back in the 2004 VSRI days we had some nice modded 2004 DL1000's scratching the Deals gap area often. Check in depth over here for some info.
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/board,15.0.html

I had piper cross air filters with a box mod and secondaries removed. PC and Two brothers cans with gearing changes and was quit happy with my money spent on my 2004. Good luck.
BillyGoat123 likes this.

Brian
VSRI#505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 04-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I haven't read all the posts, so some of this might be a repeat of what's been said: I have an '06 Vee.
The TRE is a good idea and helps in 5th and 6th. A 4* timing advancer is good, and has a positive effect on gas mileage too. High compression pistons are good helpers and SV or custom cams help some. Bigger bore, not so much because the limiting factor is the size of the injectors. And you can't switch them out or use an SV head and injectors because they are not a match for your ECU. You can take the snorkel off your air box for slightly better breathing. I use Delks on mine and I've done all this stuff. Aftermarket exhaust is much lighter. I use a PCFC with a dyno tune. Runs perfectly. I have 100 RWHP. That's about all you can hope for and still have a good street Vee.

I second using PiRSquared Racing. He did my work and is very personable as well as knowledgeable. My opinion of learning to corner better by going to a school is that it's helpful, but the Vees only corner so far and your brake pedal and kickstand mount start rubbing. I only do that on the track because you can't trust public roads. More HP coming out of corners is more fun. That simple. AND, you are just a degree or two from a low side if you are rubbing solid stuff on the bike.

On gearing: Acceleration is simply HP versus weight when it's transferred to the pavement in a reasonable manner. Gearing lower on a 100 HP bike is a waste of effort and money unless you ride two-up or heavily loaded and 6th is laboring at freeway speeds. Coming out of a corner, unless you are crawling, will be done in 2nd, 3d or 4th. If you gear down substantially with sprockets, you have to shift earlier so you are using a higher gear to go the same speed. You have accomplished nothing. In low gear, the limiting factor is keeping the front wheel on the ground. Once you have sufficient acceleration to lift the front wheel, gearing lower accomplishes nothing but making you shift earlier. I use 17:43 gearing because I ride double a lot and it's more effective on the highway. My two cents worth.

Last edited by bobbyvstrom; 04-07-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Mistake in name of exhaust muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode