something bad happened to my engine - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy something bad happened to my engine

sadly I have to either depart from my beloved 2008 DL1000, or have to spend tons of money on this money pit.so while riding at slow pace (around 50MPH ) i felt like the chain is loose and the bike under me or under my feet a little shaking but not continuesly , like 2-3 second and then ok, and then again some time and then ok , and like you feel that something is grinding under your left foot pedal., stopped to check the chain , every thing was ok, then 2-3 miles later I realised i feel the smog again like the time the bike had leaking from the countershaft seal and or o ring ,which was replaced a thousand mile ago by a mechanic shop and the parts were genuin suzuki from dealership. I stopped and ,god leak was massive,bought engine oil from gas station ,toped and drove home and around 2 -3 miles later at a stop and then move and on secong gear only the bike was sounding like hawling , but only at second gear.got home , parked the bike and checked it , oil every where even on tire, I have seen this forum oil leak from clutch push rod and seal and sproket area and seen members reporting such a leak , but I am concern of hawling sound and grinding feeling that I felt, I may need to repair engine or even get a used engine.what would be my options , in case i need to replace the gears , should i go and change all gears or they will change only the broken gear?
Tha nk you, rid esfae /Ride long

Last edited by Ennsync; 03-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Garage
Your post is confusing to me, so WHERE is the oil coming from? These engines are hard to kill, doubt it’s something serious. Park that old fossil, enjoy that new AT and don’t look back. 😉 It’s not worth enough to keep throwing money at it, of course that’s just my opinion.
Ennsync and antnat96 like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 36 Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Garage
I am suspicious the mechanic did something wrong, what all was done again?
Ennsync likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 04:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am no mechanical expert, so I won't try to diagnose your problem. There are others on this forum far more advanced than me to get into the technical aspects of things.

However, if I were in your shoes I would either try to find a donor bike for cheap on Craigslist and do an engine swap or simply part the bike out, get what you can out of it and just buy another one. There are tons of great deals online right now.

Personally, I do not trust the service departments on most stealerships and they all most definitely charge too much to work on our bikes.
richlandrick, dudu and Ennsync like this.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Big B,

Maybe he should try some SeaFoam

Ennsync,

I'd risk a few dollars investigating the leak and possible repairing it. Top up the oil and see of she pukes her guts all over the place. If not keep riding. If there is a catastrophic failure get another bike. I'd not look for a donor motor as 08 DL1000's are inexpensive enough for the whole bike with nice clean low mileage examples popping up in the 3 to 5k range semi-regularly and stuff in the mid rage mileage in the 1.8 to 3k range.

But this is all what I'd do since I do not know your financial situation.
emjrrider and Ennsync like this.
post #6 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Your post is confusing to me, so WHERE is the oil coming from? These engines are hard to kill, doubt it’s something serious. Park that old fossil, enjoy that new AT and don’t look back. 😉 It’s not worth enough to keep throwing money at it, of course that’s just my opinion.
I think the oil is leaking from the same sprocket area, but massive this time.I already notified the mechanic yesterday before posting this and they will pick up the bike and diagnose it,they will probably replace the failed part if it is visible ,but if there is damage to second gear I donot know if they accept the blame.if it is massive damage I will sell it as is to some one who knows to repair it for cheap. I have recently put a lot of new parts and tires and brake pads and fork service and bike looks really clean.
any way
Ride safe/Ride long
post #7 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 AM
$tromtrooper

When anything mechanical starts making unfamiliar noises, it's best to pull over and take a look. Oil on the ground(or splashed back on the tire) is a NO GO indicator....phone a friend with a trailer, call a wrecker, or start pushing.

I bet the mechanic pooched the counter shaft seal install as I have read it can be a delicate thing to get in without damaging it. There still should be plenty of oil left in the gearcase, so fix the seal, fill 'er back up with oil and see if the noise is still there. You may or may not have damaged the gears by riding on it with no oil keeping them coated.
Ennsync likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

If it's leaking and you do nothing but add oil and see if it stops isn't going to correct the problem.
Time to seek out a proper mechanic or a donor motor. Or, part it out as suggested.
I had a great highside when riding a bike with a leak that coated the rear tire with oil.
My advice is to not do that!
Trepidator, dudu and Ennsync like this.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Not much can be said until we know exactly where the oil is coming from.

But as a guess, I wonder what caused the failure requiring the new parts the first time? Could that problem still be there and caused the newly installed parts to fail? Something like an output shaft bearing could do that. But that is just guessing at this point.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 36 Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

My first thought was that the chain was too tight and it killed the front sprocket shaft bearing. That would explain the odd vibration, the grinding noises and the oil.

I would have someone diagnose the problem before shopping for a new engine.
D.T. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode