First ride... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By notacop
  • 1 Post By CoastyAV8R
  • 1 Post By ERockJL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

First ride...

I just took my bike on it's maiden voyage and I really enjoyed most things about it. I read about how the engine likes to rev and is smoother when above 3500 rpm and it's true. The bike handles well off road, has good brakes, the fuel tank capacity will out last my butt, I already dread doing the valve clearance inspection as it looks like a lot of fun to get to the rear cylinder, my center stand is reluctant to retract fully even with a washing and a liberal dose of WD40. The biggest annoyance I had was how far off the speedometer is at speeds above 55 mph where it's 10 mph fast and the faster you go the worse it is. Is there anything to do about this or just live with it?

2008 V-Strom 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Glad that you like it.

The rear cylinder is actually the easy one for valve clearance checks. Just have to make sure the hoses and wiring are out of the way.

Now the front cylinder, that's where the event really starts. It pretty much requires removing the radiator and the fairings. But at least it enforces doing a coolant change on a regular basis. Its not hard, it's just time consuming. I had never done anything like it before and I managed to figure it out.

Check that the sprockets installed on the bike are the stock size (17T front and 41T back). They are often modified to improve low end performance since many believe that Suzuki geared it too high stock, myself included. Previous owner may have changed the gearing, but didn't change the calibration. Since speed is measured off the front sprocket, it needs to be calibrated for any changes.

Either way you can buy a SpeedoDRD to calibrate the speedometer, and they make one that fits the DL1000 so it's mostly plug and play besides configuring it, which is weird to do, but you only have to do it once. Very easy to install, since the speed sensor connector is next to the rear cylinder near the battery.

Note that the speedometer and odometer are not 1:1. The odometer is actually somewhat accurate, so changing the speedometer to be more accurate will change your odometer accuracy. Keep that in mind.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk

2007 V-Strom DL1000 (current!)

Previous:
1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C (2016-2017)
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 (2012-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

WD40 is s loosening agent and doesn't stick around long. Use some oil or other real lubricant on the pivots of the centerstand.
I know my speedo is off so I compensate and look at my GPS for the truth.
Oh, and Welcome too

When washing the bike, it's best to avoid pressure washing and spots like pivot points and bearings and other places that need oil/grease to work properly.
HokiesRWee likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks guys. I'm sure it's like anything else, once you dive in to it you realize it's not that bad. I'll check the gearing, as far off as the speedo is I'm sure you're on to something with that as the gearing seemed fine to me.

I'll have through my hazmat collection for something more robust than WD40 for that center stand. I have 8 bikes and I never pressure wash any of them for the reasons you stated.
Charlie1982 likes this.

2008 V-Strom 1000
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
A center stand that doesn't fold down is past spray on lube, you're onto disassemble, clean, and lube territory.
CoastyAV8R likes this.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode