Speed, gear and OD - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Speed, gear and OD

I'm a new owner of a '12 DL1000 - just getting used to it. My former bike was a Concours so I'm unaccustomed to the gear ratios of the VStrom. I notice that the Strom acceerates well, faster and smoother in lower gears and at higher RPMs. I also notice that in the higher gears more speed is needed to maintain adequate acceleration in the next highest gear. Overdrive seems to be useless at speeds less than 60. Is this all normal for this engine? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the same machine. Sounds about right to me.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sounds normal. Some change to a 16 tooth counter sprocket to make 6th gear more useful and to improve slow speed response.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the quick replies!
post #5 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Different style of bikes, your old bike liked low revs where it had high torque, the vstrom enjoys the revs a lot more sporty!
Big B likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Yup. Everyone pretty much feels the same.

I'm pretty sure the most common modification is keeping the 17 front sprocket and moving to a 43 in the rear (two teeth more). This gives a very nice boost in usability and poke at sane speeds while keeping a serene warp speed cruise capability.

You also will need a SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo readings. Stock, the speedo reads about 7 or 8% high, and a 43 rear puts you at about 10 - 11% correction needed.

The DL1000 engine vibrates very little at high RPM, so there's not much reason to chug it hawg-style.

At some point, your Vee's OD light will start to randomly go off and on when on the highway. This really harshes the mellow at night, so I installed a "TRE" widget that fools the computer into believing that the bike is in fourth gear at all times, and thus removes the programmed power restrictions. I don't care about the higher top speed and all that; I mainly appreciate how the widget disables that damn furshlugginer BRIGHT GREEN OD light.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #7 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yup. Everyone pretty much feels the same.

I'm pretty sure the most common modification is keeping the 17 front sprocket and moving to a 43 in the rear (two teeth more). This gives a very nice boost in usability and poke at sane speeds while keeping a serene warp speed cruise capability.

You also will need a SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo readings. Stock, the speedo reads about 7 or 8% high, and a 43 rear puts you at about 10 - 11% correction needed.

The DL1000 engine vibrates very little at high RPM, so there's not much reason to chug it hawg-style.

At some point, your Vee's OD light will start to randomly go off and on when on the highway. This really harshes the mellow at night, so I installed a "TRE" widget that fools the computer into believing that the bike is in fourth gear at all times, and thus removes the programmed power restrictions. I don't care about the higher top speed and all that; I mainly appreciate how the widget disables that damn furshlugginer BRIGHT GREEN OD light.
Yep, I went with a 43T rear when I replaced the chain and it made the bike a lot more usable and fun. It makes you realize the engine still making decent amount of torque. I took a small hit of MPG at 80 mph, but its like 2 MPG tops, and that's not factoring in the recalibrated speedo (I did it slightly different, intentionally), gas quality, wind and error. The 1000 already doesn't get amazing MPG, so its not worth losing sleep over. No road vehicle gets great MPG at 80+ anyway.

Also I didn't realize that the 2002 has an actual OD light. Seems like Suzuki actually did their homework when they redesigned the cluster for '04, as they moved it to the LCD so its more low key. Not that I would notice, as I also have TRE.

2007 V-Strom DL1000 (current!)

Previous:
1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C (2016-2017)
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 (2012-2016)

Last edited by Demache; 03-25-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Does a 16 T front sprocket correct the speedometer readout???
post #9 of 17 Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

When riding, don't worry too much about your actual speed - except for making sure you don't exceed the posted limit. It's the RPM counter that is your best friend.

Engine performance is related to RPMs. This is a two-cylinder bike that needs to rev considerably more than your four or six cylinder car. Heck, even idle is relatively high at 1300 RPM or so. (Four cylinder car engines idle at 900 RPM or so.)

For best torque and spirited response you will want to be in the 4000 to 7000 RPM band. When cruising along, you can go up in the gears to lower the RPMs, but between 2500 and 3000 it won't have any power excess (so you can't really accelerate) and below about 2500 it just bogs down. So when you're cruising along at, say 2700 RPM, and you want to accelerate for some reason, first drop a gear or two.

For best fuel economy, when cruising along select the highest gear possible, but don't let the RPM get below about 2500.

As far as the speedo and odo meter correction is concerned, this depends on the bike. There may be exceptions but as far as I understand, on non-ABS bikes both the speedo and odometer get their input from a sensor on the front sprocket. So going to a different front/rear sprocket combination has an impact on odo/speedo, but you will only notice this when you calibrate the odo/speedo against an independent speed source such as a GPS. On ABS-equipped bikes the odo/speedo gets its input from the ABS rotor on the front wheel. So it's independent of what you do to the front/rear sprocket.

Last edited by BackPacker; 03-26-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I just discovered why my speedo readings are so far off. The P.O. installed a 45T rear sprocket!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MotorcyclesforDummies2.jpg (10.7 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode